IGNORED

Atari STacy Cubase Display Issue with Atari SC1224 Monitor

Greetings! It’s nice to be back with w my Atari again and here on Atari Age. 

I recently got an Atari SC1224 Monitor from a thrift store. It works great plugged into the STacy! I started running Cubase 3.02 and noticed that some of the text columns were overlapping.

I popped open the manual for Cubase and came across this: “…it works with Atari monochrome monitors, like the 12” SM-124 or SM-125 or the 19” SM-194. Other monochrome monitors may work. Color monitors are not supported.”

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there a workaround to be able to use the SC1224? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi,

I don´t think that Cubase will work properly without the high resolution monochrome modus of the Atari ST. I know that the screen of the STacy has low contrast. I think you could propably use a modern TV-set or monitor with an ST to VGA adapter cable for this purpose.

Greetings

Just keep in mind you still need an ST compatible monitor. Read the warning they posted:

"Note: ST Low/Med color modes require 15kHz HSYNC capable monitor, such as Benq BL720A. This is a design limitation of your Atari video output, not ST2VGA."

Although you might be okay with just running hi-res on a VGA style monitor with it.

The cool thing about using hi-res on the STacy with an external monitor is that you still have

your STacy's screen active as well. If you use color with an external monitor, your STacy's

screen blacks out (as you've probably already noticed)...

There were mono 'emulators' for the ST, Sebra springs to mind (was Monulator another or am I imagining things?), which could get high res software working in low res/ medium, but the results having used them years ago, were not great on the eyes (flicker and blur tastic) and I'm not sure about compatibility with Cubase. That would kind of defeat the object of using a monitor, it would certainly be worse than the Stacy's screen, which isn't that bad bar the 'loosing' the mouse pointer issues.. :)

Thank you @stokowski.

Thanks @TGB1718 for the tip. I may get one as I have a spare monitor, though not as aesthetically nostalgia pleasing as the SC1224.

And thank you @DarkLord for the warning. Btw, wonderful work you've done on the STacy!

@Zogging Hell didn't know about those 'emulators'...very interesting...thanks for sharing.

20 hours ago, rezawrecktion said:

And thank you @DarkLord for the warning. Btw, wonderful work you've done on the STacy!

Thanks, I'm planning on doing some more updates this summer, as I can find time. If you

really want to be impressed by what someone has done with their STacy, check out Derkom's

thread over at Exxos's Forums:

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3009

Amazing stuff!  :)

5 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Thanks, I'm planning on doing some more updates this summer, as I can find time. If you

really want to be impressed by what someone has done with their STacy, check out Derkom's

thread over at Exxos's Forums:

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3009

Amazing stuff!  :)

Yes, I've seen those. Agreed! Impressive! It's a work of art. Looking forward to seeing your updates this summer!

6 hours ago, rezawrecktion said:

Yes, I've seen those. Agreed! Impressive! It's a work of art. Looking forward to seeing your updates this summer!

Well, it's a bit ambitious but I really want to do the following:

1. Add the RGB2HDMI mod for a color screen (I actually had

a color screen years ago but wasn't satisfied with it. This

mod looks amazing!

2. Add a simple RCA/circuit to bring audio out of the STacy.

3. Add the STorm ST card to give me an additional 8 megs

of ALT-RAM.

I also need to do some repairs:

4. I have a 1.44 HD floppy mod that, for some reason, has

stopped working. I have one of the latest 1.44 mods from

Exxos so once I have it apart I'll fix and/or repair.

5. The Pak 68/3 accelerator board I have was damaged when

I received it from the Ebay seller. It's repaired enough that

it works but I've never been able to get it to run at the full

speed of 50mhz (only 40). I was fortunate enough to get a

second working Pak board so I'm hoping between the two

I'll be able to get a fully functioning Pak board.

Whew. Like I said, a bit ambitious but I'm going to set aside

a not inconsiderable amount of time and take my time with

it. I actually really enjoy "tinkering" with my Atari comps so

I'm looking forward to giving my STacy the "treatment". :)

14 hours ago, rezawrecktion said:

Yeah, that does sound ambitious... and good on ya for climbing a big mountain.

Getting audio out of a STacy sounds super! As do the other mods.

The way you describe your time with the STacy almost sounds meditative. Enjoy it!

The good thing is, a lot of this is repetition. I mean, I've already had the STacy apart

before (multiple times, actually) and did the first upgrades. So it's not completely

uncharted and unfamiliar territory, with the exception of the RGB2HDMI mod. That

one actually has me a bit concerned.

That audio mod for non stereo ST's is actually very easy to do and I highly recommend

it. My thread about it is here (and there are multiple threads across a handful of forums

on how to do this). It's amazing the difference in sound over the single speaker in a

SC1224 monitor or equivalent.

I feel that way about all my Atari stuff. When I'm working with my Atari's, doing

hardware mods, repair, adding software or updating it, or programming script

files on my BBS (and I can't leave games out!), I tend to zone out. Atari Zone!

:)

On 3/30/2022 at 8:34 AM, DarkLord said:

Just keep in mind you still need an ST compatible monitor. Read the warning they posted:

"Note: ST Low/Med color modes require 15kHz HSYNC capable monitor, such as Benq BL720A. This is a design limitation of your Atari video output, not ST2VGA."

Although you might be okay with just running hi-res on a VGA style monitor with it.

The cool thing about using hi-res on the STacy with an external monitor is that you still have

your STacy's screen active as well. If you use color with an external monitor, your STacy's

screen blacks out (as you've probably already noticed)...

@DarkLord I have found a nice, affordable SM-124 locally as a solution. :) I like keeping it all Atari. In re to the ST2VGA r4 VGA adapter mentioned: any inkling if I would be able to plug the VGA adapter in as a means to solely to have an audio out while still using the SM-124 as a monitor?

5 hours ago, rezawrecktion said:

@DarkLord I have found a nice, affordable SM-124 locally as a solution. :) I like keeping it all Atari. In re to the ST2VGA r4 VGA adapter mentioned: any inkling if I would be able to plug the VGA adapter in as a means to solely to have an audio out while still using the SM-124 as a monitor?

I really don't have a clue as I don't actually own one of those cables.

Hmm. The SC124 has audio built-in, correct? Or were you wanting

something extra?

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

I really don't have a clue as I don't actually own one of those cables.

Hmm. The SC124 has audio built-in, correct? Or were you wanting

something extra?

Ah. Gotcha.

Yes, looking for something extra. I'd like to be able to record the internal audio of the ST. I'm going to be sampling audio as well as writing music in some programs ... I'd like to be able to record them.