IGNORED

Sources for Midi files

I wrote a XB256 run-and-gun platform game for fun (for the pleasure to remember me many happy years 80 souvenirs using my ti-99/4A).
Very few things remain to do, mainly adding a background music. I am a poor composer (not to say catastrophic ? ) so I tried to find royalty free (one voice) midi music , style adventure , playable in loops and that doesn't consume a lot of memory ( 2Ko of free memory remain) , but all that I found is complex musics, very long or that become unusable when converted in one voice.
Do you know a website that could propose what I am searching?
Thank you by advance for any suggestion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Converting from MIDI can be a source of significant frustration, just given the unsuitability of the format to PSG music, and its indifference to the constraints of developing music for SN76489/TMS9919.  Even having developed something of an automated conversion solution of my own (for taking three-voice MIDI and turning it into a list of CALL SOUND commands), I come away from these experiences mainly concluding that just taking music (quite potentially a MIDI) as source material, and translating it into PSG music manually with a good SN76489 tracker is the way to go. Especially given that the key tricks which really make SN76489 music sound good are things which a MIDI source itself will absolutely never contain. 

If you'd like some prebuilt BASIC music to work with, I created a collection of my favourites (many also feature graphics) here.  It's an XB autorun disk, and will present a menu of included music:

PPMUSIC.dsk

And more generally, here is a very large collection of Sam Moore Jr. music:

Sam Moore compilation disk.DSK

Obviously, these are not in any formal sense "royalty free".  But some are classical music, and thus largely free of copyright concerns on that basis. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Before all thanks for the answers, the time you spent to find music files.

WhataKowinkydink, the Kevin MacLeod musics are too many complex to be usable.

Atrax27407, the midi files on whtech are alas classic music, that cannot suits with plateform game.

Pixelpedant: Alas, if i put asside classical musics for the same reasons told above, the remains is not royalty free and not suitable to a plateform game too.

I persue my quest ?

• Thanks 1

My problem with many MIDI archives out there is that they don't make the license clear.  Just because no license is present doesn't make it free to use in ones games.

I'd try searching on OpenGameArt for MIDI files with a license that suits your project.

https://opengameart.org/art-search-advanced?keys=&field_art_type_tid[]=12&sort_by=count&sort_order=DESC

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/31/2022 at 9:44 PM, pixelpedant said:

Converting from MIDI can be a source of significant frustration, just given the unsuitability of the format to PSG music, and its indifference to the constraints of developing music for SN76489/TMS9919.  Even having developed something of an automated conversion solution of my own (for taking three-voice MIDI and turning it into a list of CALL SOUND commands), I come away from these experiences mainly concluding that just taking music (quite potentially a MIDI) as source material, and translating it into PSG music manually with a good SN76489 tracker is the way to go. Especially given that the key tricks which really make SN76489 music sound good are things which a MIDI source itself will absolutely never contain. 

If you'd like some prebuilt BASIC music to work with, I created a collection of my favourites (many also feature graphics) here.  It's an XB autorun disk, and will present a menu of included music:

PPMUSIC.dsk 360 kB · 17 downloads

And more generally, here is a very large collection of Sam Moore Jr. music:

Sam Moore compilation disk.DSK 536.88 kB · 19 downloads

Obviously, these are not in any formal sense "royalty free".  But some are classical music, and thus largely free of copyright concerns on that basis. 

Necro-ing a little bit, would anyone stateside be willing to convert the Sam Moore compilation to physical disk(s) and ship to me (Junior Moore)?  I'd be more than happy to pay for time, shipping, or send blank diskettes.  

I have the originals.. but.. :)

Edited by digdugnate

Not quite on topic, but I’ve been re-writing FORTI (again). One tool I made for my April Fools joke (9d9damashi)  was a MIDI to FORTi converter.

Based it on someone’s midi2csv  library (C).  I reworked somebody’s MIDI file of two  Katamari Damashi tunes. 

Going to make a TI FORTH native version of that tool. 

• Like 6