IGNORED

Did a little home repair...

Inky

Thos who know me know that I have been complaining for a long time about one of the difficulty switches on my 7800 being broken. After searching high and low locally looking for a replacement, I had a brainstorm...

since the channel 2/3 switch works, and since I am on a dish, and therefore I can put the 7800 on EITHER channel, I decided to take the 2/3 switch and put it in place of the right difficulty switch. Then I took a tiny portion of wire, and made a permanent jump so that it always is set to channel 3. No onyl does it feel niceto be able to play Tower Toppler and Ghostbusters, but the picture turns out to be so much clearer!

Woo hoo!

Or you could have just asked me for a switch, I have an entire box full of Atari service parts, from levers to slide switches to 7805's to silver stripes for the inside of the machine. You name it I probably have it.

Now send me your address again so you can put a proper switch back into place. :x

:D

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement power socket to solder in place of the propriatory one?

I have one 7800 Power Supply .. but I dread the day when that PS breaks.

Rob Mitchell' date=' Atlanta, GA[/quote']

I just took a power supply to a Timex Sinclair 1000 (standard 9V power supply), cut off the end, and soldered the two points to the motherboard. Took about 2 mins :)

I just took a power supply to a Timex Sinclair 1000 (standard 9V power supply)' date=' cut off the end, and soldered the two points to the motherboard. Took about 2 mins :)[/quote']

LOL But doesn't that make it like a permanent appendage to get in the way and easier to break or damage later down the road? I'd much rather have a port, even if I had to take one off a broken NES. I'm sure someone sells these, somewhere.. :ponder:

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement power socket to solder in place of the propriatory one?

I have one 7800 Power Supply .. but I dread the day when that PS breaks.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

It's very easy to modify a 7800 to use a 2600 PS, even if you're solder-phobic like me. Radio Shack sells everything you need. I used this guy's very clear instructions as a guide:

http://www.geocities.com/atari7800mod/7800...0_powermod.html

When I discovered that a cat had chewed through the cord on my 7800's PS I decided it'd be almost as easy to add a normal jack as to splice the cord.