IGNORED

is anyone currently working on an Atari SC1435 PCB replacement project?

leech

I have the worse luck ever...

So I now seem to own not one, but TWO Atari SC1435 monitors with cracked PCBs.  One is a USA one and the other is European.  Got a converter and at first I thought it was bad, because the only other thing I have with 220v is an external floppy drive.  Turns out they do not start up unless you try to access a disk in them...

So I picked up the refurbished SC1435 I got a few days ago. As it failed to power on with the first transformer I got... and it rattled a little... okay, figured maybe something small broke off in shipping.  The outside is in perfect condition.

Well, tge piece that fell out was a chunk of PCB!

So as I nervously scanned where it chipped off...

20220410_131038.jpg

7 minutes ago, DarkLord said:

Wow, what kind of shearing force did it take to tear that off?

Leech, you've not been practicing juggling Atari monitors

again, have you?  :)

Seriously, that looks like it took something major to do that...

I'm convinced after two of these, with the same issue (cracked PCB) that Philips (who I believe made these) used cardboard to make their PCBs.  But you have to admit, juggling CRT tubes is kind of fun!

All internal damage too, the outside looks fine.  The crack in that goes all the way across the board... my original one at least is just cracked around the RGB port.  Though I tried fixing that (it worked for a short time), the solder pads went POOF on it...

Edited by leech

Hmm, is there a possibility that the way the PCB's are mounted

inside the 1435 causes undue stress on them and then they

break over time? Or that enough movement is allowed so that

they actually do flex and break?

Just a random thought...

19 hours ago, Forrest said:

I hope you give feedback to the seller of the “refurbished” monitor - hopefully you’ll get at least a partial refund.

Yeah, I am hoping that he got insurance.  This is clearly the fault of the shipping company.

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

Hmm, is there a possibility that the way the PCB's are mounted

inside the 1435 causes undue stress on them and then they

break over time? Or that enough movement is allowed so that

they actually do flex and break?

Just a random thought...

From what I have read about this period of monitors, it seems Philips went really cheap with the PCB material.  I have never seen any PCBs snap without hige amounts of force applied... outside of the two SC1435s...

If you can find a Commodore-Amiga 1084S-P1 monitor, the PCB are drop in replacements.  And they have Composite video and audio on them too.  I did the swap on one of mine that died and can now hook up my 130XE to it.

12 hours ago, tjlazer said:

If you can find a Commodore-Amiga 1084S-P1 monitor, the PCB are drop in replacements.  And they have Composite video and audio on them too.  I did the swap on one of mine that died and can now hook up my 130XE to it.

Huh, I actually own two 1084S monitors... but they are DS2 variety.  Weird that when I tried my Mega ST on one, I got the screen, but it was like HSync didn't exist, as the screen was flipping.