IGNORED

Two chip EPROM set with four TOSes, only one works on 1040STe?

Calab

I just burned a pair of 27C040 EPROMs with four TOSes and installed them in my 1040STe. I have pins 30 and 31 (A17 and A18) tied to 5v each through a 10K resistor. These pins are also each connected a SPST switch that grounds the address line when flipped up. For some reason, only the last TOS is working - Petar Putniks v1.62i. The other three just sit at a white screen forever at power up or a garbage screen if reset.

I'd put the files up for someone to check, but I don't want to post PP's custom TOS online. @ParanoidLittleMan

I used PP's ROMSPLI2.PRG on my ST to split each of the TOS images into a HI and LO file. Then I used Windows COPY /B command to merge the four LO files together, ditto for the HI files... ie:

copy /b TOS162.LO + TOS206.LO x.LO
copy /b x.LO + EMUTOS.LO y.LO
copy /b y.LO + PPTOS.LO z.LO

..ditto for the .HI files. Both came out to an even 512KB.

EPROMS did burn and verify without issue.

I verified that the IMG files worked in the HATARI emulator before I split them.

Wiring is clean. No shorts or opens. Pins 30 and 31 are out of the socket and not touching anything else besides the wiring attached to them.

What could I be doing wrong?

TOSes.thumb.jpg.f02530895b1c4f98511d7877e604b3ea.jpg

Edited by Calab

3 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Strange. Did you check voltages at those pins when switches are on - to GND ?

And please send me those z.LO and z.HI files in e-mail.

I have emailed the files to you.  

Checking the voltage on these two pins was my next step, but I truly believe that I messed up the rom splitting process somehow.

3 hours ago, 351coug said:

try putting images in different order ie since pp image works put different images in that spot . rule out the images that way. Try getting pre split images to use. Try a chip programmer software for the image manipulation instead of windows. 

I should have done this with the second set of EPROMs that I burned, but I didn't think of it.  Unfortunately I only have so many EPROMs and they don't like having the pins bent too often.

Calab,  I checked files what you sent me in e-mail, and looked TOS162US.HI here too.  Error is visible right at begin - it should start with hex $60 by all of this TOS versions (just jump over TOS header) . So, something went wrong with splitting to Hi-Lo.

And I can only assume that it happened with Hatari and with long filenames (lower case letters in this case) . I noticed couple times that in GEMDOS hard disk mode there are some errors with files with long filenames .

So, renaming to 8.3 format (all capitals) before splitting is recommended. And to add that I use Steem 3.2 for things like this, and never had problems with splitting, and I did split a lot, really.

Sent you correct Hi, Lo files in e-mail.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Calab,  I checked files what you sent me in e-mail, and looked TOS162US.HI here too.  Error is visible right at begin - it should start with hex $60 by all of this TOS versions (just jump over TOS header) . So, something went wrong with splitting to Hi-Lo.

And I can only assume that it happened with Hatari and with long filenames (lower case letters in this case) . I noticed couple times that in GEMDOS hard disk mode there are some errors with files with long filenames .

So, renaming to 8.3 format (all capitals) before splitting is recommended. And to add that I use Steem 3.2 for things like this, and never had problems with splitting, and I did split a lot, really. Sent you correct Hi, Lo files in e-mail.

Thanks for checking this out. It's appreciated!

I did split the files on a real Atari using ROMSPLI2.PRG. I transferred the the files between my PC and Atari using Litchi over FTP. Not sure where the problem occurred.

YES! It is fixed! My 1040 STe now sports four different TOSes that are switch selectable! With my UltraSatan, 4 meg of memory and NetUSBee, my system is almost complete. I just need to find a GOTEK or GOEX drive to mount in an SF354 floppy drive and install a boot selector switch.

It was indeed poorly split ROMs. @ParanoidLittleMan was good enough to take a look at the files I made and generated good ones for me. We have no idea how they got messed up. Could have been the FTP transfer from PC to Atari and back, or the splitter program had issues, but my files were bad.

10 hours ago, Calab said:

YES! It is fixed! My 1040 STe now sports four different TOSes that are switch selectable! With my UltraSatan, 4 meg of memory and NetUSBee, my system is almost complete. I just need to find a GOTEK or GOEX drive to mount in an SF354 floppy drive and install a boot selector switch.

It was indeed poorly split ROMs. @ParanoidLittleMan was good enough to take a look at the files I made and generated good ones for me. We have no idea how they got messed up. Could have been the FTP transfer from PC to Atari and back, or the splitter program had issues, but my files were bad.

My splitter program never made problems, and it is really not something complicated to do split. Error indicates that first couple bytes of image missing.  It may be error by file transfer, or because long (lower case letters in) filenames. I recommend to try split in same way as did, only using image filenames good for TOS - so instead tos162us.rom TOS162US.ROM, and similar by others .. And take care that no any LFN file in DIR where are files for split and splitter program - it can confuse TOS . Then will know little more about cause of error.

Here to add that with Total Commander all it goes faster and with better overview. It has even option to not use long filenames when copying files.

• Like 2