IGNORED

Keyboard Membrane XL

ugliestgolf

I have 2 keyboards both with a different fault, I need to get at least one up and running

using the identifier 

i have a type 3 with a broken ribbon cable

and 

a type 4 with a broken membrane cable

I’ve seen membranes on ebay etc? I assume for type 4?

where is the best place to source?

can you even get replacement ribbon for type 3?

@ugliestgolf  Can you post images of both sides of both boards in paritular to see the damage you mention in each case? Perhaps note which one is which for easy reference in this thread.   Both the ribbon cable and also the membrane in each case may be salvagable if you can't source membranes/replacement cable respectively. I've patched up a membrane kb for a 1200XL recently.

I too have seen them on Ebay but as yet I've not needed to buy one and they aren't cheap.

In some respects buying an untested Atari XL off ebay to get a keyboard and also spare parts/components is almnost worth it in the long run, rather than forking out for a membrane if you can get one at the right price. (Course no guarantees then that the keyboard will be working. Just a thought).

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours cleaning up and renovating a Type 3 AWC keyboard from a 600XL which had some bad contact switches for some keys and also a damaged LED (cracked traces on the PCB). All keys were easily removed once I'd extracted the kb unit. (Did the lot in the end). Some contact cleaner in there and it was sorted.

For the cracked PCB around the LED some superglue and small guage wiring and a 10mins solder work and I got it all fixed up.  :grin: 

Incidentally I own XLs with ALPS, type 2 and 3 AWC and Mitsumi KBs. You really notice the slight drop in quality of the type 3 AWC over the Type 2 AWC. Type 3 kb flexes a lot more in the middle when typing and the keys don't feel nearly as smooth as type 2 or ALPS.

Edited by Beeblebrox

Ive patched up the type 3 one by removing the broken ribbon cable and hardwiring/soldering an old ide cable on and using a spare 600xl keyboard riser thing..so it’s now functional

the other type 4 membrane was split about 1 inch from mboard end, sliced off but as luck would have it is about 1cm short from being able to close the case with it attached so new membrane required

the spare keyboard came from a “spare 800xl case and keyboard”i about about 15 yrs ago…no mb..

anyway I’d just end up trying to repair a broken spare one and then it wouldn’t be spare ;(

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I replaced the keyboard membrane on my 600XL. After 3 tries I can't get the led to work anymore even after straightening and bending out the tabs a little bit to make sure they are contacting the membrane contacts. I'm afraid my led may need replacing. I may have damaged the led itself. Only thing I can think of.

6 hours ago, scorpio_ny said:

Check to make sure the LED is not placed backwards. It will not light up if installed in the wrong position/polarity.

It worked before I replaced the membrane. I didn't remove it but it got bent and I straightened it. Perhaps it got damaged.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I got some fidgeting to do. Last night start key acted wonky but while pushing it power light went on. So I need to go in there again make sure everything is secure. 

Also missing a screw that secures the keyboard plate to the cover. Or top.Whatever. Local hardware doesn't have the right size. Anyone know where I can get some of these?

Edited by JagChris

19 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Looks like I got some fidgeting to do. Last night start key acted wonky but while pushing it power light went on. So I need to go in there again make sure everything is secure. 

Also missing a screw that secures the keyboard plate to the cover. Or top.Whatever. Local hardware doesn't have the right size. Anyone know where I can get some of these?

*maybe* these will do (not sure). You should be able to source these your side:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255906501255?

4 X M.2 NVMe Laptop Or Desktop Scews M2 X 4mm M.2 SSD drive Mounting

Picture 1 of 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had some success at the hardware store so I figured I'd share.

I took one of the screws in to match. I couldn't get the exact length. Ones shown are a little long hence the washers. Took two washers to even them up but it works.

#4 X 3/8 inch screws with #4 washers.

The cart slot flap seems to use same type of screws but even shorter. Probably need to use 5 or 6 washers to get that situation to work.

Anyway hope this info helps someone.

16941368269084991065632705955474.jpg

Edited by JagChris
  • Thanks 1