IGNORED

Colecovision Super Boy SG-1000 Conversion

Sonaru

I'm sure other ColecoVision homebrew publishers considered porting those games, like I did at one point, but aside from the obvious possibility of legal troubles, these MSX games just suck. If you're going to make SMB for ColecoVision, it needs to push the hardware in an impressive way, and that means smooth scrolling. 8-pixel tile scrolling is never going to cut it for a game like this. But then, having destructible environments with smooth scrolling on a machine with no built-in scroll registers is going to be tough. Oh, and did I mention the legal troubles?  :)

With this said, I'd love to see an SMB clone on the ColecoVision. Like maybe a "Run'n Gun" à la Contra with destructible blocks, or something set in cyberspace like Tron, all with smooth scrolling of course. It's easy to create something new that doesn't directly clash with copyrights and trademarks, the real challenge is making a background tile scrolling engine on the ColecoVision, but it's somewhat easier with a "new" game, because then you can build the game around the scroll engine, instead of building an engine with the goal of reproducing an existing game released on another machine with hardware scroll built-in.

Then again, we do have Princess Quest, which offers awesome smooth scrolling, with some nice parallax effects! Maybe CollectorVision offered a platformer with smooth scrolling? They released so many games I lost track.  :)

• Like 1