IGNORED

[HELP!!!] Atari 130 XE Bad GTIA

Hache

Hi, I need help.
I am experiencing some graphical glitches on my Atari 130XE (PAL). I guess it will be the GTIA chip? Can anyone confirm? (Image attached captured from real machine)

The solution would be to replace it, I think. If so... Where to get a new replacement GTIA chip for the 130XE?

Thank you!

Albert.JPG

@Hache Whhoaaaoa - supersized Albert!!! ;)

I am assuming this is a stock 128K 130XE?

It may well actually be RAM related with one of the chips on their way out/imminently failing, especially if it is MT branded RAM. You get all manner of weirdness and then the next time you power up, it might be to a black or red screen. Open the casing up and carefully feel the RAM chips one at a time with a finger. If one or more are getting notably hotter than the others - they are failing.

Can you test other games and post pics of any glitches - visual or otherwise - you experience?

I am assuming your 130XE isn't socketed so if it turns out to be the RAM or the GTIA then you'll have to remove, socket, and insert new replacements. 

If its a bad GTIA depending on where you are based you can perhaps try and grab one on Ebay. TBH sometimes it's more cost effective, (if a little bit of a gamble), to find a broken or untested A8 XL/XE and take the GTIA from it. Then at least you'll have other spare parts and quite a few from the XL are transferable into the XE, especially the harder to come by 40pin chips, (CPU, ANTIC, GTIA, POKEY and PIA, (although latter can be replaced by a modern equivilent)).

Incidentally there are modern alternatives upgrades which replace the GTIA and give you a whole lot more functionality in terms of modern display connections, modes, etc - such as the Sophia /Sophia 2 boards - but as you may well have heard the latter are not being made at present due to the global chip shortage. (Likely 2024 before we can get our hands on a Sophia 2 board).

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Wow, there are folks now looking at that sprite(s) and wishing they could recreate that bug :)

As for buying one, as said, Ebay or try the for sale forums on here, you may get a more favourable deal from a fellow Atari user as opposed to an ebay robber. Yeah, I know there are good sellers as well, but a quick scan of ebay looks more like some get rich scheme.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Haha 1

Try a cartridge game and see if you get similar result - something Rom based is less likely to have corruption if it's a Ram problem.

You could try some simple PM bars in Basic:

5 GRAPHICS 0
10 FOR X=0 TO 7:POKE 53248+X,60+X*16:NEX
T X
20 POKE 53277,0
30 POKE 704,52:POKE 705,184:POKE 706,136
:POKE 707,250:POKE 710,0:POKE 712,2
50 FOR A=53261 TO 53265:POKE A,255:NEXT
A

That should produce 8 bars - first 4 2 characters wide, the remainder 1/2 a character wide each.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...