IGNORED

Guilty Pleasures

BassGuitari

And now for something completely different...

Does anyone here play and love games that everyone else seems to hate? List your favorite bad games here!

My guilty pleasures are Sky Diver, Space War, Star Ship, Street Racer, Miniature Golf, Combat, Pac-Man, and there's gotta be tons more :D

Does anyone here play and love games that everyone else seems to hate? List your favorite bad games here!

My guilty pleasures are Sky Diver' date=' Space War, Star Ship, Street Racer, Miniature Golf, Combat, Pac-Man, and there's gotta be tons more :D[/quote']Sky Diver rules!

Especially when played kamikaze style. See how accurate a hit you can score if you never open the chute.

Too bad the Atari won't keep score in this "variation".

My guilty pleasures are Sky Diver' date=' Space War, Star Ship, Street Racer, Miniature Golf, Combat, Pac-Man, and there's gotta be tons more :D[/quote']Sky Diver rules!

Especially when played kamikaze style. See how accurate a hit you can score if you never open the chute.

Too bad the Atari won't keep score in this "variation".

That would be a fun hack. Wish I knew more about code.

Right on' date=' JB! I also like playing Human Cannonball with the moving wall variation, and making the guy crash....NEVER gets old! :lol: "OUCH"

*Sigh* I'm a bad person[/quote']Reload the cannon!

I managed to COMPLETELY obscure him once. The cannon covered every "cannonball" pixel.

Yet another fun variation the Atari lacks the code to keep score on.

Geez, it's almost as much fun to intentionally lose on some of these as it is to win.

Right on' date=' JB! I also like playing Human Cannonball with the moving wall variation, and making the guy crash....NEVER gets old! :lol: "OUCH"

*Sigh* I'm a bad person[/quote']Reload the cannon!

I managed to COMPLETELY obscure him once. The cannon covered every "cannonball" pixel.

Geez, it's almost as much fun to intentionally lose on some of these as it is to win.

Have you tried ATARI TROLL's hack of this game? The changes are subtle, but fun for what you guys like to do in this game :D

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22590

I love Fire Fighter' date=' Frogs and Flies, miniature Golf, Defender, Gopher, Skeet Shoot, and many other games that many people hate.[/quote']

Ouch... you actually like SKEET SHOOT???

Well... I do like Miniature Golf, especially with 2 players. Slot Racers is another good one for 2 players.

I really resent how much Defender gets dissed. I LOVED Defender as a kid. I guess it's because I played the 2600 version before the arcade version. I always hated the arcade version! The controls are ridiculously awkward and it's too damn hard!

I really resent how much Defender gets dissed.  I LOVED Defender as a kid.  I guess it's because I played the 2600 version before the arcade version.  I always hated the arcade version!  The controls are ridiculously awkward and it's too damn hard!

I think Defender gets dissed because it has major flicker issues. Once you get past that, it is a great game to play. I feel the same way about the arcade version. Too many buttons.

Yes, I actually like Skeet Shoot. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the redundancy factor :D

Right on, JB! I also like playing Human Cannonball with the moving wall variation, and making the guy crash....NEVER gets old! :lol: "OUCH"

*Sigh* I'm a bad person

Reload the cannon!

Have you tried ATARI TROLL's hack of this game? The changes are subtle, but fun for what you guys like to do in this game :D

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22590

I LOVE YOU!

Regarding Defender...

The game just plain sucks. This is from someone who'se never played hte arcade version, but quite enjoys Defender on other platforms.

What exactly is the point of a smartbomb/hyperspace funciton that can't be used immediatly? Video Touch Pad support would've gone a long way towards redeeming it. But nothing could ever hide the seizure inducing flicker or your phantom ship that warped forwards instead of shooting a gun.

What exactly is the point of a smartbomb/hyperspace funciton that can't be used immediatly? Video Touch Pad support would've gone a long way towards redeeming it. But nothing could ever hide the seizure inducing flicker or your phantom ship that warped forwards instead of shooting a gun.

That's what makes the 5200 version one of the best versions from that era IMHO.

I've become a huge fan of Rubik's Cube (aka Atari Video Cube) It is NOT, as many believe, a video version of a real Rubik's cube (although it is entirely understandable why folks might think that.) Instead, it's a truly fun puzzle game where you try to solve the cube by swapping the colors of the various panels. It's not hard... unlike a real Cube, anyone can solve this, and do so within minutes... it's just a matter of how many moves it takes you. The effect when you move from side to side is quite nice, and much to my own surprise, I just never get tired of trying to beat my own score at it. I know it's got a crappy reputation, but I've found it to be a game I keep coming back to over and over.

The game just plain sucks. This is from someone who'se never played hte arcade version, but quite enjoys Defender on other platforms.

If you've never played the arcade version, then you're probably unaware of the worst element of it... the completely STUPID control setup, where the joystick only moves up and down, and you have a button to press to reverse direction. That is the single reason why I don't like the arcade version. (Well, that, and it's too hard. But I think the main reason it's too hard is the weird controls.)

Good point about the smartbombs and hyperspace. It was a weak solution. You could always play Stargate... it's a great adaptation and uses the second joystick for these functions. (Though personally I hate having to use two joysticks, so I usually just play it with one and pretend hyperspace and smart bombs don't exist.)

I don't get people's complaints about the flicker. Yeah, it flickers, but not nearly as badly as a lot of other games. It's not as bad as ASTEROIDS and everyone seems to LOVE that game. As for the disappearing ship when you "shoot"... yeah, that's kind of weird, but it never really bothered me that much.

Don't get me wrong... I think Stargate is way better than Defender. But as a kid, without the arcade version or other consoles' versions to compare it to, I always enjoyed 2600 Defender.

The game just plain sucks. This is from someone who'se never played hte arcade version' date=' but quite enjoys Defender on other platforms.[/quote']

If you've never played the arcade version' date=' then you're probably unaware of the worst element of it... the completely STUPID control setup, where the joystick only moves up and down, and you have a button to press to reverse direction. That is the single reason why I don't like the arcade version. (Well, that, and it's too hard. But I think the main reason it's too hard is the weird controls.)

[/quote']

I'm familiar with the concept. I've just never had a chance to actually play the machine.

Good point about the smartbombs and hyperspace. It was a weak solution. You could always play Stargate... it's a great adaptation and uses the second joystick for these functions. (Though personally I hate having to use two joysticks' date=' so I usually just play it with one and pretend hyperspace and smart bombs don't exist.)[/quote']

I used to play Defender on my 99/4a. Slapping space isn't the optimum solution, but it works.

Now? GBA all the way.

I don't get people's complaints about the flicker. Yeah, it flickers, but not nearly as badly as a lot of other games. It's not as bad as ASTEROIDS and everyone seems to LOVE that game. As for the disappearing ship when you "shoot"... yeah, that's kind of weird, but it never really bothered me that much.

*shrugs*

The flicker doesn't bother me that much on Asteroids. Dunno why.

But little details like the ship flashing out when it shoots annoy me like mad.

Aside from aesthetics, it makes it harder to tell how close a bullet is to hitting you.

Don't get me wrong... I think Stargate is way better than Defender. But as a kid, without the arcade version or other consoles' versions to compare it to, I always enjoyed 2600 Defender.

Maybe that's the key.

Guilty pleasures is it? :twisted:

1. Demons to Diamonds - my brother and I can still enjoy this game as a two-player even after 20 years. Stan will just :love: to hear this, I'm sure.

2. Slot Machine - this one gets dusted off every once in a while. It's a pretty damn awful game, some would say "Totally lame" and I agree, but I just can't help myself sometimes :P

3. Codebreaker - there MUST be something MORE to this game. However, I refuse to feel guilty about playing it. I am a consenting adult and it is only played in the privacy of my home :D