IGNORED

Collector's Question

Mendon

I just got to wondering, while sucking down my first cup of coffee for the day, when you consider your 2600 collection what percentage of the games in there do you really like and play frequently, what percentage are okay and you play now and then, and what percentage of games are there only because you are a collector?

Just curious is all...

Mendon

Let's see... My 2600 collection totals 208 unique games at this point.

I'd say there are probably 10-15 games I play every chance I get; another 30 or so that I would consider to be classics that I do enjoy playing but that don't get as much attention; and among the remaining 160+ games, maybe 20 are any good and the rest are crap but I own them just for collector's interest.

So depending on how strict you're being, anywhere from 5% to ~30% of my collection is worth playing and the other 70-95% is garbage. :P

I play as many of my games as I have time for, but out of the 1000+ videogames I have across a number of platforms, there are about 30-50 that I play much more frequently than the others. I have a label on the bag of each individual game I play that has the AA rarity (if it is from an Atari system), the DP rarity and how fun the game is on a scale of 1 to 5 that helps me and my wife out when choosing a game that we do not regularly play.

i mostly just collect atari 2600!

i have over 1000 2600 games...

what percentage of the games in there do you really like (10%) and play frequently 0%

what percentage are okay (20%) and you play now and then. .1%

what percentage of games are there only because you are a collector? 100%!

now i not a "collector" of modern games so i can't answer those questions but i spend what ever time i can playing them! current favorites.. Ikaruga (GC) river city ransom (NES) :)

Take Care,

rick

I say of my 2600 collection, which only consists of about 60 unique titles, I regularly play about 6 of them. I occasionally try out 12 or so, and the remaining 48 are only there for collectors value. So the percentages would be 10, 20, and 70. Like ataripitbull, the family greatly restricts any time I have to play (15mins./day if I'm lucky).

Out of over 200 2600 games I own, I play about 15 of them when I feel like it. The rest I usually have for collector's purposes. This might change if I ever get more time to explore the classics.

Collecting them is quite fun though. It's even more fun to enjoy them though. :D

Well, like I said in my last post, I was inspired to try ranking ALL of the 207 (not 208... Moonsweeper was accidentally in my list twice) unique games I own for the 2600.

I first went through and rated each game on a scale of 1 to 5 stars (actually, I also had a 0 rating for real stinkers... I only gave one game a 0 and if you've read some of my other recent posts, you may be able to guess it). The ratings are subjective, of course, but games that got 5 stars either had to be tons of fun to play or just highly influential classics that I considered to be must-haves. Out of the 207 games, 28 got 5 star ratings, and I've taken the time to -- tentatively -- rank them in order. Here's the countdown:

28. Haunted House

27. Frogger

26. Demon Attack

25. Adventure

24. Cosmic Ark

23. Jungle Hunt

22. Missile Command

21. Robot Tank

20. Super Breakout

19. River Raid

18. Moon Patrol

17. Berzerk

16. Ms. Pac-Man

15. Maze Craze

14. Synthcart *

13. Keystone Kapers

12. Stampede

11. Circus Atari

10. Asteroids

9. Warlords

8. Video Pinball

7. Space Invaders

6. Stargate

5. Pitfall II: Lost Caverns

4. Yars' Revenge

3. Kaboom!

2. Solaris

1. H.E.R.O.

* OK, Synthcart isn't really a game... but it's still fun to play! I'd probably have other homebrews in my top 28, but so far it's the only homebrew I actually own in cartridge form.