IGNORED

Copying .OBJ file to TIPI

videofx

I have a file on my PC called PKTEST.OBJ.  I want to use this in my XB program.

When I upload to tipi I get PKTEST/obj as shown below.

I tried CALL("DSK1.PKTEST.OBJ"), CALL("DSK1.PKTEST/obj") and I always get syntax error.

What do I need to do to be able to load this object file from my TIPI?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 9.23.25 AM.png

Use the XB "CALL LOAD" syntax.

CALL LOAD("DSK1.PKTEST/obj")

But first, the question mark icon indicates it is not in a FIAD format. The listing for a EA3 type or XB CALL LOAD type file should be DIS/FIX 80

If it is a raw PC text file, you might not have to convert it. TIPI will try to do the right thing when CALL LOAD opens it as a DIS/FIX 80 file.

But if it is a different kind of FIAD than TIFILES format, you may be able to check the box next to the file and then use the conversion option in the menu above all boxes to convert it. 

So, depends on what the file actually is...

Note, you are placing the file in the TIPI.NET. directory, which seems like a mistake... 

• Like 1

What Jedi said.

Some more thoughts:

00. is this your program, or is it an unknown?

0. After loading, to start the program you need CALL LINK(“ABC”) where ABC is the symbol for program startup. In source code, ABC must be in a DEF statement. 

1. XB can only handle uncompressed object. You probably have that by default —but watch out for XB to say “Unrecognized character” when you give a compressed format object to CALL LOAD(“DSK1.THING/OBJ”) 

2. Better, use Editor/ Assembler or Mini-Memory LOAD AND RUN. These handle any type of object file. (Well, 99%)Plus,  These cartridges enable TI BASIC to use CALL LOAD and CALL LINK. 

3. REFs. XB won’t accept these either. If the file has REFs, it depends on linking to other symbols. For example KSCAN.  Symbols commonly assumed to be available when run from E/A or Mini Memory. You can get these in XB, it’s just different. 

4. Is the obj from xas99? I always convert these to TIFILES format with xdm99 to be safe.

I can share my Makefile if you’re assembling with xas99. 

(Classic99 has its own workaround to detect xas99 object when you have files-in-a-directory.  In 2019 my Tipi didn’t handle xas99 output,  but Jedi says it does, so.)