IGNORED

[WIP] Tanks 2022

Fort Apocalypse

On 6/28/2022 at 12:04 PM, Fort Apocalypse said:

DPC+ kernel version - release 0.1 (branch of the standard kernel game that has different gameplay, and I'm not sure if I'll keep going with it yet)

I just tried to boot the DPC+ version in prep for the show tonight on my 2600 RGB using the Harmony Encore and it loads to a black screen. I've tried to move around, reset etc.. but it doesn't show video and there's no sound of the tanks firing.

I played the game in Stella and the start up of the game is very different with and without developer options enabled. With the developer options enabled the game scrolls down the screen until it is in the normal place where you expect. I suspect whatever is happening during the startup of the game might be causing my console not to display video/sound.

- James

42 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I just tried to boot the DPC+ version in prep for the show tonight on my 2600 RGB using the Harmony Encore and it loads to a black screen. I've tried to move around, reset etc.. but it doesn't show video and there's no sound of the tanks firing.

I played the game in Stella and the start up of the game is very different with and without developer options enabled. With the developer options enabled the game scrolls down the screen until it is in the normal place where you expect. I suspect whatever is happening during the startup of the game might be causing my console not to display video/sound.

- James

I don't know what's wrong with the DPC+ version on the 2600 RGB with Harmony Encore or why Javatari wasn't allowed it to be played.

In Stella 6.7 in both player and developer mode it seems to work for me. I attached screenshots.

tankd_dpc_v0_1_stella_6_7_developer.jpg

tankd_dpc_v0_1_stella_6_7_player.jpg

Standard kernel release v0.6 with some changes based on feedback from @ZeroPage Homebrew and things seen during their games:

• Fixed bug where dead tank would win on right side. (Tank now stays in same place after destroyed.)
  • Tank rotates slower now.
  • More maps including Combat-inspired one and horizontal line.
  • Now tank is "invisible" (color of playfield) until you shoot for invisible tank games.
  • Drone is faster.

tanks_2022_0.6.bas.bin tanks_2022_0.6.bas

Edited by Fort Apocalypse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DPC+ kernel release 0.2: (link) Tested by alex_79 and works on Harmony cart with some frame rate issues, but doesn't work in Javatari

• No more civilians
  • Changes to default map colors.
  • Only one map for now.
  • Shells blow up a wider area when hit playfield.
  • Tank now stays in same place after destroyed.
  • Play is much more similar to standard kernel game.
  • Tanks trudge over playfield.
  • Drone attacks other player when you run over it.
  • Can shoot other player and just blow up other player's tank.

tanks_2022_dpc_0.2.bas tanks_2022_dpc_0.2.bas.bin

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 12:37 PM, Fort Apocalypse said:

@ZeroPage Homebrew take a look at Spiceware's post about the DPC+ driver in case that helps with this or any other DPC+ game that's having trouble. Note that when I removed civilians, alex_79 was able to play 0.2, but 0.1 had been playing in Stella, so I wonder if this had anything to do with it.

Thanks for the update, v0.2 works on my system without an issue.

I've never noticed problems with CDFJ/DPC+ games on my system like the ones described so the issue may or may not be related to the thread you linked.

- James

• Like 1

Standard kernel release 0.8:

• Random map, colors, and invisibility for each round.
  • Changes to maps: back to four types of maps, but now with random maze-like, random number of vertical bars (may also be empty or full), random pixels (more natural-looking), or Combat-like.
  • Playfield is removed by shells more directly/faster (with much better accuracy).
  • Can go in reverse, and if you go in reverse while pressing fire, you create playfield more accurately, like drawing, but slowly, and turns are still fast, so turn a little at a time.
  • Reduced complexity of boundaries, etc.
  • More variability in shot distance.

tanks_2022_0.8.bas.bin tanks_2022_0.8.bas

• Like 1