IGNORED

Anyone handy with Sega CD repairs?

battleman13

Picked up a US Model 1 Sega CD on eBay. $180... "untested" (so someone, at some point, had a failed repair). Came with the proper OEM sega DC power adapter.

Someone was in there for sure, as the shield over the CD wasn't put back on right, and there as a solder blob bridging legs on one of the IC's on the power input / AV board. The fuse is blown and it was a replacement (not factory), I temporarily jumped it after measuring voltage in / out of it. I have it powering on, but apart from an initial light up of the Ready / Access lights it just sits on the initial BIOS screen. No music, no animation. From the research I've done, it could be anything from bad caps, an issue with the sega genesis unit, trace issues, or the CD drive not being "attached" to the motherboard (issues with the ribbon connecting them). The model 1 genesis I have attached to it works fine. I have other model 2 genesis units I can try?

I suppose I can start with a new fuse, and recapping everything but I'm thinking that's not it. I'm wondering if I have a failed BIOS chip and or issues with traces / that CD drive ribbon. No caps look visibly leaked, and the boards look overall pretty clean. Could that solder blob have caused it? It was on IC2 on the power / AV board. Two legs were bridged, cleaned up rather easy with just some flux and a clean knife edge tip. Anyone got good experience with the model 1 sega CD?

Hoping to get this one working, it's got the rarer JVC transport in it.

I have fixed lots of these when i ran my classic video game store.  From your description it sounds like you have either a blob of solder shorting a few pins on a chip or some broken traces coming from a chip.

I woiuld start at the power circuit and work from there going in.  I would also check continuity very carefully on traces after you check if the voltage is going to places it needs to.

Good luck fixing it, its a great system!

3 hours ago, imstarryeyed said:

I have fixed lots of these when i ran my classic video game store.

Did you sell or close up shop?  It has been a little while since I've been down to Corpus so I have no idea.  I knew you closed the one inside SPID, but the original was still going last time I was down there.

I did I closed it in 2018, 11 great years!  Made tons of friends, collected lots of games and now I can play those games and go to a 8 - 4:30 job M - F and not 16 hour days 7 days a week.. Ha ha still did not know how I worked 360 days straight without a day off.  Well when you are having fun its not so bad!