IGNORED

Intellivision Amico’s trademark changed to ‘abandoned’

19 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

In fact I'd rather hear what Mullis' kid has to say about it more than Mullis himself. I already know what Mullis will say.

Same. I'm doubtful that adverse feedback from his kid would be properly conveyed to Intellivision, knowing the over-optimism from Mullis and his longstanding friendship and love for Tommy and Intellivision staff. This approach is not a useful means of soliciting actual constructive feedback, even if they imply they'll somehow be more critical than an impartial tester since they want it to succeed so badly yet have never said a single critical thing about it and seem to overlook problematic aspects. It's like using a best friend who has never faulted anything you've done for your main reference in a job application, some skewed perspective for sure--yet obviously self-beneficial in the interest of conveying only a positive perspective.

More than two years ago Tommy said that the finalized components underwent tons of actual group focus testing including with kids and non-gamers and they REALLY loved it. If all of this happened then it should negate the need at all for these final playtest type units and feedback and NDAs. Dunno...

We must have went through a hundred different tweaks and designs before we landed on what we currently have.  A LOT of thought, time and energy went into perfecting the feel of the controller and it's really paid off as all of our focus group testing (especially kids and non-gamers) REALLY love it!

And 

We've done many focus group tests with non-gamers, moms, seniors, etc. playing Amico and they all absolutely love it.  And hardcores and retro players love it as well.

And

Our massive amounts of data, research and focus group testing tell us the same thing. Folks who had only ever bought a Wii console are all very excited about purchasing an Amico 15 years later.  They had zero interest in getting a Switch.

And

I saw that someone posted that Romper.com article. They are HUGE for family/moms/kids, etc. MILLIONS of folks paying close attention and really invested into the content on that site.

When we launch in April... you'll be seeing things like this times 1000... all over the world. 

Now imagine things like a partnership, advertising, special offers/deals, influencers, etc. with a website like that.... or a HUNDRED websites like that! Even though we are 7 months from launch... we are starting to get non-gamers and families knowing about us. Dad 2.0 starts today... like Mom 2.0, we have a booth (virtual) are doing talks & roundtables, focus group testing, meeting with big influencers and sponsors in that space, etc.

Edited by MattPilz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, mr_me said:

Having units out for field market testing and getting feedback from customers is part of the process.  But finishing the pilot run does not mean the product is in manufacturing or releasing anytime soon.  As far as we know, it's not moving ahead as expected.  DJC is not a spokesman for the company.  More than cut back, "... dramatically reined in operating costs, which unfortunately required a significant reduction in staff" is what they said.  There could still be engineers/programmers working on things.  There's little that Republic investors can do anyway, outside of initiating a lawsuit.  If the company can turn things around great, if not it's a write off.

Beep, boop.

• Haha 6

42 minutes ago, MattPilz said:

Same. I'm doubtful that adverse feedback from his kid would be properly conveyed to Intellivision, knowing the over-optimism from Mullis and his longstanding friendship and love for Tommy and Intellivision staff. This approach is not a useful means of soliciting actual constructive feedback, even if they imply they'll somehow be more critical than an impartial tester since they want it to succeed so badly yet have never said a single critical thing about it and seem to overlook problematic aspects. It's like using a best friend who has never faulted anything you've done for your main reference in a job application, some skewed perspective for sure--yet obviously self-beneficial in the interest of conveying only a positive perspective.

You are assuming that IE is actually looking for feedback from those 2 individuals.   Who knows if they even want any feedback. 

So much of what TT said was implying X without actually stating it is happening. Someone would respond saying look they are doing X. TT would say something like wouldn’t that be something without actually confirming they are doing X. Then folks would go posting isn’t it great they are doing X. Rinse and repeat over and over. Total BS promotion. 

• Like 5

Looks like some troubled waters ahead for Atari VCS, which is not unexpected. The retail price point was just too high and exclusivity benefits too low for it to catch on very much. This sort of article would be what I predict we'd find with Intellivision if Amico had ever launched. Intellivision has already cut out or otherwise lost most of their announced licensing deals and exclusivity clauses. I still am happy with the VCS (at the $99 point I paid, equivalent to my Amico down-payment that was refunded). The hardware itself would be impossible to buy for less than that and it can be upgraded easily to leverage other operating systems and software. The Amico would be far less adaptable for other purposes if it were released and then discontinued.

https://tomshardware.com/news/atari-ends-vcs-production-contracts

Atari is reorganizing its hardware business and critically says this “includes the suspension of direct hardware manufacturing relationships” relating to the VCS. However, Atari did not mention any plans to secure new contracts to manufacture the VCS, so this appears to be the end of the line for the troubled console.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MattPilz said:

More than two years ago Tommy said that the finalized components underwent tons of actual group focus testing including with kids and non-gamers and they REALLY loved it. If all of this happened then it should negate the need at all for these final playtest type units and feedback and NDAs. Dunno...

I don't think Mullis' kid would say anything bad. I just think it would be more honest than anything that comes out of Mullis' mouth. He has lied for the company and attacked reasonable people with the rest of them.

I don't think the focus group testing happened like normal people think of focus groups. There was no final hardware nor games. So at best it was pictures and basic questions.

Do you want to have family fun gaming with your family? Yes!? Well great we offer that. What you think that sounds good!?

Having worked in research how you ask the questions is tricky. No one is going to say that they dont want to have family gaming and parents will like the idea of non-violent and cheap products. Thats what they WANT Amico to be, which is not the same as Amico ACTUALLY being that.

The comment about people not wanting a Switch DOES NOT mean they want an Amico. All Amico has been is an idea. I can want to make a Picasso come out of my butt all I want, but that doesn't mean it still isn' crap coming out there.

Amico is not more affordable than the big 3. There is no trust or value in the company. Trust is earned and all they've done is lie. As far as value goes you are paying for an overpriced 2016 phone that struggles to play Farkle smoothly.

Also see Switch outselling the Wii. Just more proof their data was bad. Then there is that their data would have been from 2019 and not really good anymore.

People walk around with complex computers in their pockets all day long. If someone can't figure out simple parental controls I don't know what to tell them. I think their market is clueless and possibly dumb consumers.

Maybe DJC and Mullis are the perfect testers afterall?

2 hours ago, digdugnate said:

Beep, boop.

tumblr_51579159ff9c532647722e560fc6bc99_c2d89098_1280.thumb.png.65ac759480a8b0393bec75924366e055.png

2 hours ago, rayik said:

You are assuming that IE is actually looking for feedback from those 2 individuals.   Who knows if they even want any feedback. 

So much of what TT said was implying X without actually stating it is happening. Someone would respond saying look they are doing X. TT would say something like wouldn’t that be something without actually confirming they are doing X. Then folks would go posting isn’t it great they are doing X. Rinse and repeat over and over. Total BS promotion. 

This is what was so frustrating is seeing how many people were so willingly manipulated like that. It was sad to see people continually not question simple BS statements. 

You can still want something to succeed and call out BS. Only idiots think it is black and white like how Tommy told them it was. There were no sides. There was a company making wild claims and taking money while never delivering. 

2 hours ago, MattPilz said:

Looks like some troubled waters ahead for Atari VCS, which is not unexpected. The retail price point was just too high and exclusivity benefits too low for it to catch on very much. This sort of article would be what I predict we'd find with Intellivision if Amico had ever launched. Intellivision has already cut out or otherwise lost most of their announced licensing deals and exclusivity clauses. I still am happy with the VCS (at the $99 point I paid, equivalent to my Amico down-payment that was refunded). The hardware itself would be impossible to buy for less than that and it can be upgraded easily to leverage other operating systems and software. The Amico would be far less adaptable for other purposes if it were released and then discontinued.

Yup it is pretty obvious to see the trajectory of things. Many people thought the VCS was just a bad idea that didn't make sense. Yes I know there are people who live in countries in which getting a decent computer costs a stupid amount. That's an exception and not a rule.

Intellivision knows they have a flop. That's what the REAL data has shown them.

1 hour ago, CurlyQ said:

tommy-disappears-into-the-bushes.gif.6ca607681ea86d6025948b1cd0f085e4.gif

I dare you to post that in the hugtime Facebook group.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MattPilz said:

You Amico gaming racist!   Atari is stopping manufacturing, so that factory can start Amico consoles. We are on the launchpad now.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I don't think Mullis' kid would say anything bad. I just think it would be more honest than anything that comes out of Mullis' mouth. He has lied for the company and attacked reasonable people with the rest of them.

I don't think the focus group testing happened like normal people think of focus groups. There was no final hardware nor games. So at best it was pictures and basic questions.

Do you want to have family fun gaming with your family? Yes!? Well great we offer that. What you think that sounds good!?

Having worked in research how you ask the questions is tricky. No one is going to say that they dont want to have family gaming and parents will like the idea of non-violent and cheap products. Thats what they WANT Amico to be, which is not the same as Amico ACTUALLY being that.

The comment about people not wanting a Switch DOES NOT mean they want an Amico. All Amico has been is an idea. I can want to make a Picasso come out of my butt all I want, but that doesn't mean it still isn' crap coming out there.

Amico is not more affordable than the big 3. There is no trust or value in the company. Trust is earned and all they've done is lie. As far as value goes you are paying for an overpriced 2016 phone that struggles to play Farkle smoothly.

Also see Switch outselling the Wii. Just more proof their data was bad. Then there is that their data would have been from 2019 and not really good anymore.

People walk around with complex computers in their pockets all day long. If someone can't figure out simple parental controls I don't know what to tell them. I think their market is clueless and possibly dumb consumers.

Maybe DJC and Mullis are the perfect testers afterall?

tumblr_51579159ff9c532647722e560fc6bc99_c2d89098_1280.thumb.png.65ac759480a8b0393bec75924366e055.png

This is what was so frustrating is seeing how many people were so willingly manipulated like that. It was sad to see people continually not question simple BS statements. 

You can still want something to succeed and call out BS. Only idiots think it is black and white like how Tommy told them it was. There were no sides. There was a company making wild claims and taking money while never delivering. 

Yup it is pretty obvious to see the trajectory of things. Many people thought the VCS was just a bad idea that didn't make sense. Yes I know there are people who live in countries in which getting a decent computer costs a stupid amount. That's an exception and not a rule.

Intellivision knows they have a flop. That's what the REAL data has shown them.

I dare you to post that in the hugtime Facebook group.

There is still an Amico Facebook group going strong?    I really dont know, I deleted FB.  

What do they talk about?   How Amico will launch any day now?

7 hours ago, Rev said:

We are on the launchpad now.

tumblr_5d4f6e6988b0ce86068e8d8ed9f52f6c_e07c2a14_400.gif.82107cf81a5ec696eaa92622f8bd86b2.gif

7 hours ago, Rev said:

There is still an Amico Facebook group going strong?    I really dont know, I deleted FB.  

What do they talk about?   How Amico will launch any day now?

Strong? If by strong you mean they ban anyone being reasonable.

The group is basically an experiment to see how long someone can be in denial.

It's pretty sad.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, MattPilz said:

As expected. I'll actually give them credit and say that they ended up doing a little better drumming up enthusiasm for the product offering than I thought, though as you imply, a notable percentage of that was when GameStop did the $99 thing. Regardless, there never was a path to sustainability for the product as there was simply nothing unique about it to appeal to more than a super niche of consumer. And again, I was privy to the earliest pitch (along with the speakerhat, which I similarly had no enthusiasm for and was frankly shocked at the target price point) back when it was targeted to be a sub-$200 console, and even then I advised against releasing it. The actual release price point only made things far, far worse.

I didn't expect the Amico to be a breakout success by any stretch of the imagination, but I did think it had a better shot at sustainability simply because it offered an experience you couldn't directly get anywhere else and definitely drove up more early enthusiasm. Of course, that ship has long since sailed and I don't expect it to ever see the light of day at this point. In that regard, the VCS "won" by default in what turned out to be a very sad "war." And, as you also say, at the very least even with it discontinued and the VCS store surely being sunsetted at some point, at least the hardware and associated controllers can be repurposed.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rev said:

Lets pretend that the Amico finally launches. 

What previously confirmed features will be removed on this stripped down console.

They had mentioned already the 1 controller version. What else was there?

No online leaderboards?

No NFT?

Outside of the usual support stuff and all that implies, anything server- and service-based has to be the biggest ongoing money sink, so beyond the game store, I doubt they'd be able to enable many other features, especially if enough people were to make use of it. So I agree that perhaps at best - and this is assuming it even releases in any form, which I think we're all highly skeptical of at this point - there will be the game store, as at least that can theoretically generate enough revenue to cover maintenance costs. Maybe that and online leaderboards since that probably places minimal additional load on things. Nevertheless, we don't have much indication of what staff levels they have at this point or what's even really truly well and done and ready, so it's impossible to realistically speculate.

One thing is for sure, if anyone ever gets to do a post mortem (article, book, documentary, etc.) on exactly what happened here, it will be fascinating. There's definitely a juicy story in how you supposedly go from "almost ready" years back to "not even close" years later.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rev said:

What previously confirmed features will be removed on this stripped down console.

No online leaderboards?

No NFT?

It will be a plug and play with the pre installed games being the only ones ever available.  For $340 it will blow away any atgames offering

But at least the pre installed games will be exclusive and only fully experienced with the Amico’s unique controller. (And just ignore that we were told you could use your cell phone as a controller. Which should not matter as there will be no way to download the controller app) 

There is no way this is coming out in its present form. Any discussion about its release is just BS (including my own comments). 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Outside of the usual support stuff and all that implies, anything server- and service-based has to be the biggest ongoing money sink, so beyond the game store, I doubt they'd be able to enable many other features, especially if enough people were to make use of it. So I agree that perhaps at best - and this is assuming it even releases in any form, which I think we're all highly skeptical of at this point - there will be the game store, as at least that can theoretically generate enough revenue to cover maintenance costs. Maybe that and online leaderboards since that probably places minimal additional load on things. Nevertheless, we don't have much indication of what staff levels they have at this point or what's even really truly well and done and ready, so it's impossible to realistically speculate.

One thing is for sure, if anyone ever gets to do a post mortem (article, book, documentary, etc.) on exactly what happened here, it will be fascinating. There's definitely a juicy story in how you supposedly go from "almost ready" years back to "not even close" years later.

I’d love to read that book- although I still need to read that Chameleon one. Dumb question for people smarter than me about this stuff… how much does it cost to run an online store? To maintain leaderboards/etc? Is it a huge money/time sink? What’s the sweet spot in terms of numbers to make it viable?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rev said:

No online leaderboards?

No NFT?

Well kids who received it will probably hate their parents. Wives would divorce their husbands for such a dumb purchase. Familes would go broke because all the games are easily purchasable on the home screen. For those who survive the broken households will probably suffer seizures at the hands of the LEDs causing hospital trips and throwing out the value aspect.

Families will start to write reviews of how it didn't bring their families together and instead broke them. Tommy will then ask the ASL of every user and harange them about how it is great. This will lead to all usernames and such being leaked to DJC and Co. Who will then start threatening to show their personal information and pictures of their kids in a effort to drum up positive reviews.

Tommy's hater folder will grow so big on his desktop trying to do this that it will shut down the Amico servers. This will then cause a chain of events sending a signal to the console. Which due to not having the proper safety tests will self destruct and explode. Tommy will claim that the plan was to always have a firework show at the end.

He will then go living from pier to pier on a backgammon tour. He will try to convince his wife he needs to push off making a family once more to put all his effort into conquering the backgammon world. He will start his journey not realizing he was an idiot and signed up for a checkers league. When called out on how he isn't playing backgammon he will tell them they are a bunch of boardgame racists who are untalented jealous gatekeeping.

There will then be a rise of another idiot who wants to revive a dead brand like Vectrex or something and make wild claims. Phil Adams will also join their team with his great experience in failed consoles  There will be the smart ones who remember the horror stories of failed consoles past, and those who get an erection at the name of a console they loved being mentioned. They will throw money at it and the cycle will continue.

/s

It will most likely not have leaderboards, nor a set schedule of games being released. They aren't actively developing games for it. So it will be an expensive Plug and Play with 15ish games total. Even if the rfid works features like bring your controller to a friends house will be pointless as your friends won't have one.

No free game on your birthday. No OG games added.

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I think the juicy story is more simple. It was never as ready as they said. Tommy literally believes in magical thinking. Unless this was the rocketship he referenced.

tumblr_83b4d0f3b8b7395cc7906df3e1552131_50f1bf45_400.png.1b72f69ab9202b54b3da2f8f05f801b5.png

I think it is as simple as Tommy had his head shoved so far up his backside, that he was unable to find his own way back out.

png_20221220_100352_0000.thumb.png.03e5ace803d761a5a3f0c1f370ee88ae.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rev said:

No online leaderboards?

No NFT?

That's about right (NFT). No f'in technology! 🤡😄

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

That's about right (NFT). No f'in technology! 🤡😄

Wasnt Amico allegedly going to send patches or virtual patches for high scores?   

So many pie in the sky features its hard to keep track. 

Amico is a classic bait and switch.  Thats the closest thing Amico has in common with a Switch. 

So, if a ton of features quietly disappear….what about if it launches and the people that preordered based on those “promised”  features?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Tommy's hater folder will grow so big on his desktop trying to do this that it will shut down the Amico servers. This will then cause a chain of events sending a signal to the console. Which due to not having the proper safety tests will self destruct and explode. Tommy will claim that the plan was to always have a firework show at the end.

Dude... getting a bit ridiculous now.   You completely failed to add the part where he'd buy a world record for "largest hater folder."

... so disappointed in you

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, MattPilz said:

Did you get the VCS with both controllers for $99?

28 minutes ago, rayik said:

It will be a plug and play with the pre installed games being the only ones ever available.  For $340 it will blow away any atgames offering

But at least the pre installed games will be exclusive and only fully experienced with the Amico’s unique controller. (And just ignore that we were told you could use your cell phone as a controller. Which should not matter as there will be no way to download the controller app) 

There is no way this is coming out in its present form. Any discussion about its release is just BS (including my own comments). 

That's a disservice to AtGames. They actually release stuff at a fairly reasonable price. Most of people's issue with them IMO is wanting their stuff to be 1 to 1 recreations of the hardware.

Which isn't going to be as affordable or draw in as many consumers. I don't buy all their stuff but have had zero issues with what I have. The kid and I were enjoying the Atari handheld the other day.

The people wanting recreation of hardware need to go the Analogue or Mister route.

27 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

I’d love to read that book- although I still need to read that Chameleon one. Dumb question for people smarter than me about this stuff… how much does it cost to run an online store? To maintain leaderboards/etc? Is it a huge money/time sink? What’s the sweet spot in terms of numbers to make it viable?

When you do it the Amico way it cost $0.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Wasnt Amico allegedly going to send patches or virtual patches for high scores?   

So many pie in the sky features its hard to keep track. 

Amico is a classic bait and switch.  Thats the closest thing Amico has in common with a Switch. 

So, if a ton of features quietly disappear….what about if it launches and the people that preordered based on those “promised”  features?

Certificates. And would even include regions and such iirc. If not ever score has ASS as the initials then you know it wasn't working when DJC and Mullis were testing it.

36 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Dude... getting a bit ridiculous now.   You completely failed to add the part where he'd buy a world record for "largest hater folder."

... so disappointed in you

You are right. I apologize.