IGNORED

Please help me identify my Atari systems

Jaxonmeller16

The smooth piano finish is the earlier made 5200s. The textured ones were made later and likely around the same time that the 2 port units were coming out as the bottom shells are the same between those later 4 ports and the 2 ports units.

Functionally there is no difference in their operation and it is just a difference in case aesthetics. The textured plastic is better long term as it doesn't show prints and hides scratches much easier than the piano finish ones. I've also seen some that has the plastics mis-matched. In that they might have a textured controller storage cover, but smooth finish bezel plastic on the front and vice versa. Could be they were swapped out in their lives by other owners but it wouldn't surprise me if they rolled off the factory that way either.

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The smooth piano finish is the earlier made 5200s. The textured ones were made later and likely around the same time that the 2 port units were coming out as the bottom shells are the same between those later 4 ports and the 2 ports units.

Functionally there is no difference in their operation and it is just a difference in case aesthetics. The textured plastic is better long term as it doesn't show prints and hides scratches much easier than the piano finish ones. I've also seen some that has the plastics mis-matched. In that they might have a textured controller storage cover, but smooth finish bezel plastic on the front and vice versa. Could be they were swapped out in their lives by other owners but it wouldn't surprise me if they rolled off the factory that way either.

Thanks for the help! So is there a difference in value between the two and they are both considered original not a remake right? 

I don't think there is much of a difference in the value between them no. It is all personal preference. Many prefer the textured surface for the reasons I gave in that it doesn't show finger prints and small scratches and swirls can't be seen in the textured surface. But then you have enthusiasts like myself that prefer the older piano finish look to the console LOL!