IGNORED

65/130XE Production Test Hardware

cbelcher

Another pandemic project...

I wanted to (re)make some of the hardware test rigs for the 8 bit.  The Atari SuperSALT test fixture }(the one in the 850 case) is sold out at Best and has not been recreated to my knowledge - but is the most comprehensive.  Instead, I found a post on Igi Blog about the smaller fixtures for the 65 and 130XE:

http://blog.3b2.sk/igi/post/Atari-cartridge-11-Special-cartridge-Testcart.aspx

Simple enough, and schematics for the loopbacks were included, as well as the cartridge ROM file.  

I did build them up and found a couple interesting things:

1) the resistors are not all 100K, despite the note on the Jerzy Sobola schematic- I disassembled the cart ROM  and found that it is looking for a value of 55-111 for Paddle 0 and 2, and 35-71 for Paddle 1 and 3. This roughly translates into 180K and 120K resistors.

2) the ROM  attached on the site boots up to "ATARI 65/130XE R.2" which seems to be the common ROM referred to on AtariAge and around the web.  However Best Electronics lists:

XE / XL Diagnostic Cartridge Rev 3.4. Runs the following Diagnostic Tests, Production Test, Audio, Video, Port (Requires Port jumper cables, 13 pin shorting plug and loop back board) Keyboard, ROM and Ram, including 130XE Ram bank!         CB101048    $35.00

And the XE Series Personal Computer Field Service Manual - created by JER / EIGHTBITTER 2014 refers to the Atari 65/130XE Rev 3.4 Test Cartridge (as well as the R.2 Test Cartridge).

The images and behavior shown in that manual do not match the R.2 Cartridge - there seems to be more functionality especially in autodetection of the system and the video tests.

So...

If you would like to build these - look at the link above and the PCBs I made are up at PCBWay.

https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/Atari_65_130XE_Production_Test_Jig_SIO_Loop_bc5d5114.html

https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/Atari_65_130XE_Production_Test_Jig_Joystick_Loop_5f9fcb75.html

For the SIO loopback plug, you need to add some extra solder to the pads on the edge of the board to make the board thick enough to contact the SIO pins on both sides.  (I think Mozzwald used this trick on an SIO breakout - makes for a cheap plug) Alternately if you have a bunch of SIO plugs around you can build it without the PCB in one of them. I did add a 12V SIO light for the 400/800.  

For the Joystick / Paddle loop test I included pads to solder the DB9F plugs on the edge to either mate with the XE or XL computers.  (Hint- fit the plugs in the jacks and put the board in them BEFORE you solder so they fit).  The other choice would be to use joystick extension cables, then you could fit all the Atari variations with a single set of plugs.  I also included spots for variable resistors if you find the fixed resistors fail the paddle tests and want to experiment- do not install both!

A QUESTION / REQUEST - 

Does anyone have / has anyone seen 65/130XE Rev 3.4 Test Cartridge?  I'm interested to see what the additional functions look like.  I also wonder if it might be a version looking for 100k resistance on the pots.

It's a moderately useful suite that fills in some of the gaps on the self test, and was a fun project.

Thanks,

Chris

XE Test.jpeg

image.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...