IGNORED

Original Heavy Sixer box?

DrBizz

HI everyone. There is a listing for a 2600 near me, and I was wondering if anyone can confirm if the box seen here might be for a heavy sixer? The console they are selling in the listing is a 4-switch, so despite the seller claiming it is all original they don't match. I already have a heavy sixer and would love a matching box, but at their asking price whether it is or isn't one makes or breaks the sale for me. Thanks!

Screenshots_2022-07-23-15-12-14.png

2 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Don't all H6 boxes have the chess piece on them? Or is that just the Sunnyvale H6?

I'm not sure. I've been trying to do some research and am a little stumped. I've heard about the chess piece thing, so if that's true then this wouldn't be one.

20 hours ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Don't all H6 boxes have the chess piece on them? Or is that just the Sunnyvale H6?

Not all H6 consoles had the 'chess piece' box. The chess piece box was a short run, at the time Atari didn't have a chess game and got sued over the fact so Atari replaced that chess piece on the H6 boxes. 

Technically the box in the photo would most likely be an H6 console box. When they migrated to the L6 console the box stayed the same but I commonly see the serial number sticker on the front of the box and I would make the assumption if it were a 4 switch it too would have a serial number sticker on the front. Back in the day, there was really no consistency in production so while it's unlikely that's the proper box for a 4 switch, it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2022 at 12:10 PM, Kenjunior said:

Not all H6 consoles had the 'chess piece' box. The chess piece box was a short run, at the time Atari didn't have a chess game and got sued over the fact so Atari replaced that chess piece on the H6 boxes. 

Technically the box in the photo would most likely be an H6 console box. When they migrated to the L6 console the box stayed the same but I commonly see the serial number sticker on the front of the box and I would make the assumption if it were a 4 switch it too would have a serial number sticker on the front. Back in the day, there was really no consistency in production so while it's unlikely that's the proper box for a 4 switch, it's not completely out of the realm of possibilities.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was hoping this could be the case. It sure seems like not much Atari did was consistent in regards to how they produced and released the 2600 haha. So much randomness.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 11:25 PM, DrBizz said:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was hoping this could be the case. It sure seems like not much Atari did was consistent in regards to how they produced and released the 2600 haha. So much randomness.

Atari did one thing consistently and that was being completely inconsistent! They nailed that one! :) 

The absence of "The Super System" on the front (before "More Games - More Fun"), the collage of people and screenshots on the front, and the bottom side depicting Atari's game lineup are dead giveaways that it's a light sixer box. It was likely produced toward the end of the six-switch production run, after the four-switch had been introduced. This essentially is a four-switch box except for the depiction of a six-switch.

Edited by BassGuitari
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 3:36 PM, BassGuitari said:

The absence of "The Super System" on the front (before "More Games - More Fun"), the collage of people and screenshots on the front, and the bottom side depicting Atari's game lineup are dead giveaways that it's a light sixer box. It was likely produced toward the end of the six-switch production run, after the four-switch had been introduced. This essentially is a four-switch box except for the depiction of a six-switch.

Thanks for the reply, you are correct. I ended up pulling the trigger on this lot as the seller kept dropping his price. It turned out to be a refurbished 4 switch (I believe Sunnyvale built, no sticker confirming it) and the box had a refurbished sticker added to the side as well. Box and console are both dated 1980. So this seems to be an official refurbished 4 switch Sunnyvale that was put into a light sixer box they had laying around.

11 hours ago, DrBizz said:

Thanks for the reply, you are correct. I ended up pulling the trigger on this lot as the seller kept dropping his price. It turned out to be a refurbished 4 switch (I believe Sunnyvale built, no sticker confirming it) and the box had a refurbished sticker added to the side as well. Box and console are both dated 1980. So this seems to be an official refurbished 4 switch Sunnyvale that was put into a light sixer box they had laying around.

I would return it then.