IGNORED

Got my 1200XL !

Can't thank bob1200xl enough !! Also gotta thank the brewing academy for the S-Drive Max which works flawlessly, & videofx for the 4-1 language cart ! Time to relive my youth with scientific & astronomy programs (commercial & my own) ! BTW, I can't believe how much faster BASIC XE vs BASIC XL is ! 

296314578_5344742115620710_8240413162233927589_n.jpg

• Like 11

@Ricky SpanishOnly by upgrading to S-video (chroma/luma out). Unfortunately the 1200XL's chroma circuit wasn't attached so without an internal mod or upgrade you can't get proper S-video (a DIY S-video upgrade I did and highly recommend is Supervideo 2.0). And most likely your modern TV doesn't have S-video, which means either a S-video-to-VGA (what I use with my 1200XL) or S-video-to-HDMI converter box. Or, buy an internal video upgrade board like the UAV or far better yet, Sophia 2 (what I use with my 800) with DVI(HDMI with adapter), which can also be reprogrammed to output RGB or VGA too and also includes some new graphic modes. Another option is the VBXE which even further enhances the computer's graphics with new graphic and text modes as well as ouputs RGB video. Of course most modern TV's only have HDMI or VGA options and not RGB, which means an RGB monitor or an RGB-to-VGA/HDMI converter.

Edited by Gunstar

10 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Or, buy an internal video upgrade board like the UAV or far better yet, Sophia 2 with DVI(HDMI with adapter), which can also be reprogrammed to output RGB or VGA too.

Unfortunately production of the Sophia 2 isn't expected to resume for quite a while(likely 2024).

Edited by BillC
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Or, buy an internal video upgrade board like the UAV or far better yet, Sophia 2

UAV looks good, as it only modifies the video output. Sophia 2 is out of the question, as (for me anyways) it takes away from the 8-bit/GTIA experience. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

So I have the S-Drive Max (love it) finally have the UAV on the way, along with 256k RAMBO memory expansion. I think that'll be the extend of the mods.

Substitute a FujiNet for the S-Drive Max, and that's pretty much what I'm running on my 800XL.  I've found it to be a very flexible configuration, and haven't really wanted for anything (much) with it.

An external U1MB could make me change my mind, but I'll cross that bridge when they're in general availability.

14 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Substitute a FujiNet

That's what I have a PC for, so I'll pass on that one. 256K will run 99% of what's available. UAV to clean up the video. I have mat*rat's modified ramdisk that'll recognize up to 512k with any extended memory. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Can anything beat the glorious glow of a CRT displaying the Atari DLI Rainbow?

I'm just happy I didn't screw anything up. Anyways, I'm a happy camper. I'll be happier 

when the s-video cable & s-video to HDMI converter get here. 

Here's a short vid ; composite +UAV with LCD tv.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I'll be happier when the s-video cable & s-video to HDMI converter get here.

Suggestion: if you have to do any video capture that requires you to interact with the machine while capturing, capture via S-Video and use composite for output to the CRT.  You may have found this out already, but the UAV allows for both to be connected simultaneously without issue - and, because that's the case, it makes more sense to capture the best quality video signal but still enjoy zero lag over composite on the CRT.  Both my 800XL and 1200XL have been used in this way and it works beautifully.

11 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Here's a short vid ; composite +UAV with LCD tv.

Looks great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Brentarian said:

Only the glow of a CRT displaying the 576NUC+ DLI rainbow!  😉

That was my little easter egg I contributed to the project BTW.  I found there were two completely different draw routines for it based on either version 10 or 11 of the 1200XL ROM, therefore 2 different graphics storage methods.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I found there were two completely different draw routines for it based on either version 10 or 11 of the 1200XL ROM, therefore 2 different graphics storage methods.

Oh haha. I thought the only difference was that Rev 11 displayed ATARI®.