IGNORED

The resurrection of Mega Speedy!

macsonny

5 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

You should see how much money I sunk into the 600xlm and 800xlm boards!  It wasn't all a waste as I learned quite a bit about how the Atari works.

I can understand not releasing the sources if you are selling them.  But if you aren't going to sell them or stop selling them it would be great for the sources to be available as every piece of information helps others make more advancements.

To be very honest, it's not about making money for me. It was a project I started 6 months ago as I thought the Mega Speedy concept was awesome. It's been an adventure for sure.

There are lots of interesting discoveries I've made along the way. For example, on the Mega Speedy main board a power regulator and diode are not needed in the final unit. Guus spoke to that above. 

I've attached a ZIP with a known working PCB file. These are the files I used with PCBWay to get manufactured. They work. I have not included the display board PCB as I'm yet to get that 100% functional and not sure which version of the board to use yet. 

I've also included a draft BOM. I have been using the one Guus supplied to me but made many modifications to align with he board design. That's included in the ZIP file but it does need some work.

I'll also send through some close up photos of the completed boards so you can see the component layout. I have an actual working unit I bought from Guus and I would not have been able to build the follow-on boards without out it. Having the board helped a lot!

I wish anyone wanting to build these boards the best of luck. It's a fun adventure but did have it's moments of frustration. I spend months getting the unit to a point where it would just power up. @guus.assmanand @HiassofT are legends for designing and building these units. I have been impressed with what they achieved and their support to me has been amazing. They really are great people.

Good luck!

p.s. I have one spare unit. Two have been spoken for already if anyone wants the final unit with display board let me know.

MEGA Speedy 1050 WF rev 10-sept-2014.zip

Edited by macsonny
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, macsonny said:

Hi All,

I know this is an odd question but does anyone know where I can source genuine R65C02P4 microprocessors?

Thanks

Sonny

Western Design Center still manufactures 65C02 processors, Jameco has a 14MHz capable 40-pin DIP version in stock.

https://www.jameco.com/z/W65C02S6TPG-14-Western-Design-Center-MPU-8-Bit-14MHz-65KB-Memory-40-Pin-PDIP_2143638.html

These are also available through Mouser Australia at a higher price, both DIP-40 and PLC-44 versions, but with the following benefits.

Australian Dollars
Incoterms:DDP
All prices include duty and customs fees on select shipping methods.
Free shipping on most orders over $60 (AUD)

Edited by BillC

• 2 weeks later...

This is the last call for anyone interested in a MegaSpeedy unit. I will make up another 5 units and that will be the end of the project for me. To date I’ve now built 6 working units of which 3 I’ve sold to others. I’m going to keep 3 for myself installed in my 1050 drives. 

If you would like a unit please let me know.

They are 150 EURO each and 20 EURO shipped to most locations globally. The cost of electronic parts is staggering right now and some parts I was paying a few $$$ USD for is now $40 USD. Luckily I bought a heap of parts a while back so able to keep the price down.

Please message me if interested before I shut the project down from my side as it’s time to move onto a new project.

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

The buyer for the last Mega Speedy unit has dropped out so I have one unit left for sale. Price per above. 

Unit has been tested and is functional with the single exception that I'm still trying to iron out the rotary controller issue (see previous posts). I'm close and when sorted out the mod will be shared with all people who purchase  unit.

Message me if interested - otherwise it goes into my electronic box never to see the light of day again!

Thanks

IMG_1264.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All!

Recently in Poland, there has been pressure for new releases of floppy drive accelerators replica projects for the Atari 1050.  We had fa ew weeks of IS PLATE soap opera for example :)

At the moment, I see two independent groups, which gives hope that something will indeed come out of this.

One is represented by Galtron, who as far as I know, has the blessing of ABBUC in this matter and works with the legendary hardware hacker in Poland, Zenon/Dial.

The second faction is Pancio, who collaborates with the AtariOnline.pl portal. Pancio is the creator of several solutions including MIDICard, and lately has also been working on a version of this project for 1090XL.

Meanwhile, on the AtariOnline.pl forum, the first of the colleagues has shared the entire project improved by his team: https://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=7464&page=1#Item_0

The forum is in Polish, but it's easy to translate it into English or any other language convenient for you.

Fingers crossed!

• 5 weeks later...

One team (Galtron) has already finished their work, and the project has appeared on the market. The other team seems to have given up.

It's worth noting the precision and quality of the front panel replacement. It has been excellently executed and matches the station's color scheme perfectly.

Congrats to Galtron!

image.thumb.jpeg.7132e39d92a8b004b33f1ac7e054cd0a.jpeg433140491_389553437229268_2980627084620022590_n.thumb.webp.b13bc012f18e6caa49c1b431de1ebe3c.webp

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Piotr D. Kaczorowski said:

One team (Galtron) has already finished their work, and the project has appeared on the market. The other team seems to have given up.

It's worth noting the precision and quality of the front panel replacement. It has been excellently executed and matches the station's color scheme perfectly.

Congrats to Galtron!

image.thumb.jpeg.7132e39d92a8b004b33f1ac7e054cd0a.jpeg433140491_389553437229268_2980627084620022590_n.thumb.webp.b13bc012f18e6caa49c1b431de1ebe3c.webp

I didn't give up. Just interest by people ran out 🙂

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'd sure love a front bezel.  I can't bring myself to cut up my original, so I've just got the wires to the display hanging out the front of mine.

That's the same reason I never finished work on the Happy 7.1 with the switches.  I am not drilling holes in my front bezel.

• Like 3

Hello guys

We need somebody who can redesign the PCB that holds the track display and the selector.  Way back when, there were upgraded 1050's with track displays where the ON/OFF switch usually sits and a push button switch where the power LED was.  Looked like it could have been made like that by Atari.  An extra power LED wasn't needed because the track display covered that.

What I'd like to see is a track display that is the same height as the hole for the ON/OFF switch and a selector that fits in a hole that is about the size of the hole for the power LED.  If possible with a shorter/shortened selector.  Maybe even symmetric (ON/OFF switch, power LED, red-yellow-green-LEDs, selector, track display).

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

On 4/13/2024 at 12:10 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

Someone made a carrier box that nicely attached to the vent holes and allowed the lights and switches to be in that, looked fine. Maybe it needs recreation?

So print whole bezel or print snap on bezel box

There is a 3D file going around that allows for the MegasSpeedy to be installed. It''s basically a brand new front bezel. It's don't fit perfectly but it's very close and with 10 minutes of filing it's a perfect fit.

My advice is make sure if you do want to print the bezel to use a really good 3D printer.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, macsonny said:

There is a 3D file going around that allows for the MegasSpeedy to be installed. It''s basically a brand new front bezel. It's don't fit perfectly but it's very close and with 10 minutes of filing it's a perfect fit.

My advice is make sure if you do want to print the bezel to use a really good 3D printer.

When my original 3D printer died, I decided to try out a resin based one.  I absolutely love the quality of the prints, but I am sadly limited to a rather small 192mm * 120mm print bed.  So I'd have to pay a place to print me a panel anyhow.