IGNORED

Translations of manuals

Luis Fernandez

Hello friends, I'm new here, although I signed up a long time ago.
Is there a subforum for manual translations?
I will provide Adventure manual in PDF in Spanish Adventure 1978 Atari 2600 Esp.pdf

so I added another one. 3-D Tic-Tac-Toe 1978 Atari Esp.pdf
It is to indicate that I have the manuals in word and it would be easy to edit other languages

Drive:

3-D Tic-Tac-Toe 1978 Atari Esp.pdf

Edited by Luis Fernandez
Add
  • Like 1

Nice!

From your blog:

I'm dedicating some time to the translation of Atari console game manuals, which I don't think have any, if anyone knows where there is, please send me a message, I'd appreciate it, the idea is not to repeat work.

I know Atari's European manuals have English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish sections. I've seen those manuals in AtariMania's 2600 database. You might like to review the ones available before doing your next translation. Enter the game's name in the search field, then look for the Flag of Europe (image.png.c1d7edd883fd2ea34b022f1fc0e50208.png).

This entry for Adventure is on page 2 of the results for Adventure. The manual pages are shown as thumbnails, click on them to see each page:

image.thumb.jpeg.7f23bbc42eddbfd89069aa94b3b22073.jpeg

Do note that not all of AtariMania's database entries contain a manual, so you might need to review multiple entries. This one for 3D Tic-Tac-Toe does not include the manual, but this one does.

• Like 1

Thank you

Correct is the original manual in Europe.
Although a terrible translation "juegador" is wrong, it is "jugador"

"y que el Mago Malvado" is "el Mago Malvado"

Not is "Cassette" is "Cartucho" = "Cartridge"

Hay "Yorgle"  --> Esta Yorgle
el mas fiero do todos  --> el mas fiero de todos

and only on that page

But it is the original, it will be better to leave it that way

I will review well
Thanks a lot

Edited by Luis Fernandez
  • Like 1

You're welcome!

Adventure (1980, Note: AtariMania incorrectly has 1978) was an early game. Spot checking other game manuals:

Bowling (1979) has cassette:

image.thumb.jpeg.6ef09e45a4864a067a67700783970e98.jpeg

as does Space Invaders (1980, Note: AtariMania incorrectly shows 1978)

image.thumb.jpeg.6db0c4dde0aeb52928295a212587dc41.jpeg

Missile Command (1981) uses cartucho (bottom of Tabla 1)

image.thumb.jpeg.d16489d0110ffcede7d5046eeed3556e.jpeg

as does Centipede (1982), though in this new, condensed, multilingual format I see they were still using cassette for the French and German translations.

image.thumb.jpeg.ae4300061e1564c49847598a2f660ed6.jpeg

This suggests that Cassette was originally used in Spanish for a video game cartridge, and that it switched to Cartucho around 1981.  Could be something interesting for a linguistically inclined individual to look into on the evolution of video games.

• Like 1

Very interesting all this comment.

Regarding the cassette thing, at least in spoken Spanish, since always, the cassette has tape and is actually a derivative of case or box, and cartridge is for something that contains things and can be inserted, like a bullet magazine .

Although I know that you refer to the fact that in the earlier manuals cassette was used (also because it comes from French).

Regarding the dates, I will correct my manuals, although I already see that they would be duplicates of the originals and would not be valid as those made by Atari (or other brands originally).

Although the idea was to understand the game faster.

Edited by Luis Fernandez

11 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

This suggests that Cassette was originally used in Spanish for a video game cartridge, and that it switched to Cartucho around 1981.  Could be something interesting for a linguistically inclined individual to look into on the evolution of video games.

It's the same in Italian. I always used the term "cassetta" back in the day. Nowadays the term is commonly associated to cassette tapes, but it's technically still correct also for videogames, as it just indicates a rigid enclosure.

There was a similar discussion about this a while ago:

• Like 3