IGNORED

BBS - using Steem Emulator to telnet to ST BBS's

Is it possible to use the Steem Emulator to telnet to BBS's?  I have a Windows PC and Steem SSE installed and I can load up the Interlink term program just fine, but I don't know how to configure a modem in the emulator so that it can dial out (telnet) to BBS's.  My A8 emulator (Altirra) has the ability to configure ports and modems so I can telnet, so am hoping Steem has something similar?

Thanks,

Jason

Break Into Chat blog did a piece of doing this on a Mac with Hatari.  It's not going to be easy on Windows and not even sure if its possible with STEEM.

Thing is, no one really has cared enough to put a serious effort into it.  There was only one emulated ST BBS I ever heard of and that guy made it very clear to me he was not interested in "being anyone's Yoda" especially given that the "custom" way he went about it was fairly unstable.

Add into that... the ST BBS SysOps are all pretty much in favor of real hardware over emulation and I don't think had enough interest to really look into this.  (The SysOp of ST Guild I think was the one who showed interest, which is why I asked the other guy who had done it and got the "no Yoda" response).

So I wish you the best of luck on your quest Frodo.

1 hour ago, Tillek said:

Break Into Chat blog did a piece of doing this on a Mac with Hatari.  It's not going to be easy on Windows and not even sure if its possible with STEEM.

Thing is, no one really has cared enough to put a serious effort into it.  There was only one emulated ST BBS I ever heard of and that guy made it very clear to me he was not interested in "being anyone's Yoda" especially given that the "custom" way he went about it was fairly unstable.

Add into that... the ST BBS SysOps are all pretty much in favor of real hardware over emulation and I don't think had enough interest to really look into this.  (The SysOp of ST Guild I think was the one who showed interest, which is why I asked the other guy who had done it and got the "no Yoda" response).

So I wish you the best of luck on your quest Frodo.

Thanks for the info.  Given what was said, I'm not going to put much faith in figuring out how to do this.  I was mainly looking for a way to call ST BBS's when I'm on the road with my Windows PC and not near my real hardware to be able to call out.  

Honestly, that's the thing in the end... it is doable, but generally turns out not to be worth the effort... especially given that many ST BBS's look better in ANSI anyway and SyncTerm does it best hands down.

Even day to day, if I don't feel like firing up the ST's, I use SyncTerm most of the time for convenience anyway.

Maybe we can go over the basics at the next BBS Chat and you can see where the wall is and whether you feel like climbing it (especially since your pal asked a similar question on DarkForce!).

I agree with Tillek - why go through the hassle of setting up an emulator

under Windows when you can just install SyncTerm and use it? It gives

great support for retro BBS's and is super light on resources and easy

to use. 

That is, until you can find a STacy or ST Book to use on the road.  :)

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

to use. 

Makes sense.  I took Tillek's advice and installed SyncTerm today on my Windows PC and it works beautifully.  Now if my real hardware isn't nearby, I can use my Windows machine to call out to the ST boards.  

2 hours ago, DarkLord said:

to use. 

Oh yes... of course if you can find the STacy or ST Book... that's a better option... if you put the color LCD in. ;)

But again... I mean if you had no ST and this was for everyday use... well... still wouldn't think it's worth the trouble... since we all dreamed we could do ANSI like the IBMers back then... but yeah, since this is just for "on the road" use... go modern ... that's the advice from two actual ST BBS SysOps.

BikerBob and Archmage, can we get a 3rd/4th?

(Biker Bob of course has to reply twice... cuz... you know... two.)

33 minutes ago, Jason Young said:

Makes sense.  I took Tillek's advice and installed SyncTerm today on my Windows PC and it works beautifully.  Now if my real hardware isn't nearby, I can use my Windows machine to call out to the ST boards.  

Yeah, and lucky for you you tested it on SFHQ.... If you had tested it first on DarkForce! you'd have seen all that horrid purple in his ANSI screens and assumed something was wrong!

15 hours ago, Jason Young said:

There ya go. SyncTerm is pretty awesome. It even supports ATASCII

graphics on the 8bit boards...

15 hours ago, Tillek said:

Yeah, and lucky for you you tested it on SFHQ.... If you had tested it first on DarkForce! you'd have seen all that horrid purple in his ANSI screens and assumed something was wrong!

Pay no attention to Tillek, Jason - he suffers from a severe case of "Chromophobia"...   :)

To the best of my knowledge, he's the only one who's ever complained about DarkForces'

ANSI screens... 

22 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Pay no attention to Tillek, Jason - he suffers from a severe case of "Chromophobia"...   :)

To the best of my knowledge, he's the only one who's ever complained about DarkForces'

ANSI screens... 

Except that I represent probably about 20% of your active user base. :P