IGNORED

U1MB for dummies (like me)

Ricky Spanish

So after some serious consideration, I've decided to get the U1MB for my ATARI 1200XL

All I need is just the unit & nothing else, correct ? Is there a instructional PDF or similar

for the U1MB that explains the install & functions of it ? Can't seem to find one. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

So after some serious consideration, I've decided to get the U1MB for my ATARI 1200XL

All I need is just the unit & nothing else, correct ? Is there a instructional PDF or similar

for the U1MB that explains the install & functions of it ? Can't seem to find one. Thanks.

U1MB pairs amazingly well with SIDE3 as the PBI mass storage device. Totally recommended, I love my U1MB/SIDE3 combo - Even better with FJC's latest firmware.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

U1MB pairs amazingly well with SIDE3 as the PBI mass storage device. Totally recommended, I love my U1MB/SIDE3 combo - Even better with FJC's latest firmware.

Does the SIDE3 fit into the 1200XL‘s cartridge port without modifications? For the SIDE2 I need an extension.

@Ricky Spanish  good luck.

Remember you will likely need to add a 100pf ceramic capacitor to the back of the U1mb re the known instability issue when used with a 1200XL. I had to. Dead easy. 

See here:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/98341-whats-the-latest-atari-related-things-youve-bought-on-ebay/?do=findComment&comment=5026531

image.png.12c608b82e07c5f1e793d68f91454db9.png

Edited by Beeblebrox

6 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

It will with some very minor filing of the edge joints where the two shell halves join together.

Another option is Dropcheck's 1200XL cartridge extender PCBs.  These also come in handy for doing stuff on a 400 or 800 where you need to have the cartridge door propped open but want easy access to the cartridge slot(s).  Been using them for a couple of years in order to avoid filing cartridges and they work great.

4 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Another option is Dropcheck's 1200XL cartridge extender PCBs.  These also come in handy for doing stuff on a 400 or 800 where you need to have the cartridge door propped open but want easy access to the cartridge slot(s).  Been using them for a couple of years in order to avoid filing cartridges and they work great.

Got one of those for SIDE2. My absolute favourite would be a switchable dual version with vertical slots (so it would take up less space left of the 1200XL).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, slx said:

Got one of those for SIDE2. My absolute favourite would be a switchable dual version with vertical slots (so it would take up less space left of the 1200XL).

Funnily enough, SIDE3 was actually my use case for originally ordering one.

Check the link - she's now offering both the original PCB and one with a right-angle slot that lets the cartridge sit vertically ;-)

• Like 2

Given the 1200XL needs to be converted from a dual OS rom chip setup to single OS system for it to accept the U1mb,  you'll need the 28pin OS and 20pin sockets for the os conversion as per FJC video and then capacitor should you need it. (Most likely will). Also if your U1mb is the cheaper version with the old 2012 candle firmware you'll wanna flash FJC's latest 2021 u1mb firmware.  So you'll need a storage medium to do that, (SIO2PC connection ,  Sdrive max, Sio2SD,  Side 2 or 3 cart AVG cart,  etc). 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

@Ricky Spanish honestly it's s not that tricky and all detailed in FJC's video. Give it a watch and you'll see. We'll worth it as ever to get all the U1mb functionality. It's all reversable if you keep hold of the Os rom's and mmu,  etc. 

@slx the 1200XL's 2 x 16k OS Rom chips are 24 pin whereas the U1MB's ribbon connector is 28pin (the same as the XL/XE OS

S ROM chip). The 1200XL's pcb itself comes with 28pin holes so did your 1200XL have 28pin sockets in which your 2 x 24pin rom's were installed? 

Mine didn't have sockets but I am very used to socketing A8 pcb's these days. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

honestly it's s not that tricky and all detailed in FJC's video.

I'm sure it isn't any I watched all of his 1200XL videos many times. I still need donate to @flashjazzcat channel because frankly all the information he gives is worth it's weight in gold. Think I'll make that a monthly thing. <- I encourage everyone to do the same that watches his vids.

Edited by Ricky Spanish
clarity
  • Like 3

On 9/12/2022 at 8:26 AM, Beeblebrox said:

The 1200XL's pcb itself comes with 28pin holes so did your 1200XL have 28pin sockets in which your 2 x 24pin rom's were installed? 

I think it did but I’m not 100% sure. It’s been a few years and I’d need to open it up and have a look.