IGNORED

Atari 800XL with black screen

naujoks

I have an 800XL with black screen on powering up.

Voltage tested fine (tried different PSUs), all but one IC are socketed and I swapped the ICs for known working one.

Clock on CPU is fine.

Cartridge doesn't play.

Self test doesn't run.

No sound coming from anything either.

Getting nice bit of chatter on data and address line on CPU.

Caps look clean and not bulged. Didn't see any dodgy solder joints.

No ICs getting hot.

Pretty stumped on this one. Any ideas what I could try?

I had on of my 800XL’s that use go bad out the blue. Tried swapping chips, recapping and checking for broken solder joints. Nothing worked. I remember watching a repair video that they gently  pressed on top some the larger IC’s while the board was on to see what happens. I did that and when I got to the OS rom, the computer gave a me a ready screen. On closer inspection, there was a pin with a broken weld at angle that was hard to see. You could try that. Just be very careful.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Only in reliability, Commodore used them in a lot of C64's, and they just kept going bad, if you open a C64 that is faulty and see MT chips then they usually get swapped out even if not faulty..

Not heard anything bad re NEC chips..

That has been my experience. I have repaired two Commodore boards that had this brand of RAM as source of the fault. If I happen on to a computer that has this brand installed, I will put it on my to do list to remove. I have a 130XE from my childhood that had MT RAM. Computer worked fine, but to eliminate a potential source of issues, I removed them all and replaced them with sockets and different brand of RAM chips.

It's an odd one, you have changed everything inc ram and still black screen, when you turn it on does the monitor show the signal syncing?

I presume you are using composite out rather than the most unlikely RF?

Also, any mods of any kind on there?

Edited by Mclaneinc

My original 800XL stopped functioning a short while back.  Got around to looking at it lately - voltages were fine, and ultimately every single IC tested fine either by swapping into another working unit, or by testing in my BackBit Chip Tester Pro.

This is a fully socked 800XL, except.. for one IC.  That IC is U29 (the Delay Line IC) - and guess what, it was bad.  Replaced it and the entire system was perfectly functional again.

• Like 2

Congratulations on finding the problem and getting your 800XL going again!

I have an 800XL with mystery problems as well, and have swapped pretty much everything except for the delay line chip. I'd thought of eventually replacing the whole memory circuit with one of Lotharek's SRAM modules. Since the delay circuit is one of the last things I haven't checked, I may go ahead and order an SRAM to help confirm or rule out memory problems.