IGNORED

Pirates of the Barbary Coast - German Translation?

smesgr

Hi,

I have cleaned up my attic and found a pile of Atari XL floppies. On one of them is a copy of "Pirates of the Barbary Coast" on a ... ehm backup - but to my suprise the floppy contains a German Version of the game. According to my research the game was never released in another language than english.

The floppy is at least from 1990 maybe a bit earlier. Has somebody an idea where this originate from?

Pirates.png

• Like 6

This must have been the wrong dump.

The only difference to a8preservation's dump seems to be some high-score or save-game data on side B (upper half of screen image is text from your dump and the lower half shows text from the original disk):

image.png.d25d08d432bea0d00b8884146a4f29f2.png

Hex-dump off ALL differing bytes:

image.thumb.png.d25cbe6525053482dd00d927a96d3ccd.png

On 10/14/2022 at 5:50 PM, DjayBee said:

The only difference to a8preservation's dump seems to be some high-score or save-game data on side B (upper half of screen image is text from your dump and the lower half shows text from the original disk):

image.png.d25d08d432bea0d00b8884146a4f29f2.png

how did you do this? Could you please point me to the software you are using for this. Thank you

Edited by smesgr

1 hour ago, smesgr said:

how did you do this? Could you please point me to the software you are using for this. Thank you

The diffing was done in WinMerge.

The screen dump with the text was done manually in Altirra because it seemed to me the most vivid way to show the text info.

I started Altirra without any disk, so it jumped into BASIC,

opened the debugger and looked where the current screen memory is located,

pasted the hex values from the disk dump into an e-command of Altirra's debugger which wrote to the beginning of screen memory,

added a few hundred bytes to the screen address,

pasted the hex bytes from the other dump into an e-command pointing to the second address

and finally resumed the emulation to receive the expected screen output

unsophisticated, somehow stupid but effective :)

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I did sector editing, I used a BASIC program published in COMPUTE! except for the time I edited the font in the Paperclip word processor which I did bit by bit using a joystick with a utility called TRACER.COM. Unfortunately, the disk got magnetically garbled before I made a copy and basically lost a working copy and nobody seems to know what it was as I've never been able to find another good copy.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:43 PM, DjayBee said:

The diffing was done in WinMerge.

The screen dump with the text was done manually in Altirra because it seemed to me the most vivid way to show the text info.

I started Altirra without any disk, so it jumped into BASIC,

opened the debugger and looked where the current screen memory is located,

pasted the hex values from the disk dump into an e-command of Altirra's debugger which wrote to the beginning of screen memory,

added a few hundred bytes to the screen address,

pasted the hex bytes from the other dump into an e-command pointing to the second address

and finally resumed the emulation to receive the expected screen output

unsophisticated, somehow stupid but effective :)

uff i hoped for something more straight forwards. But thanks anyway :)