IGNORED

HDD setup for ST

Smithers

Hello all

I just wish to ask advice please.

I used Cubase Score 3.1 at music college in the mid 90's with a 520 STFM which I had upgraded to 4mB.

Recently I took it out and put it all back together with an SM124, works lovely.

Couple of years ago I bought a hard drive for it, not an Atari one, it is big white metal box that looks aftermarket, I was assured by the seller it is genuine and 200mB. It powers up and is recognised by the ST but I do not have the skills or knowledge to make it work or be able to transfer my Cubase programme or any other of my Atari floppy discs to it now.

I downloaded a great guide from an Atari expert regarding the HDD installation but it is 69 pages long and very complicated. It talks about initial partitioning and formating, I understand the terms and theory but it all does my head in, I am a simple musician 😅

Does anyone have a little simple step by step guide to setting up the HDD for a layman?

Any advice really appreciated.

Cheers guys 😉👍

Smithers

43 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

When you say the ST recognises the drive, what do you mean by that ?

What hard disk driver are you using, you will need one with it's utilities to partition and format the drive.

Though before doing that, it might be better to see if there is already something cool on it that should be preserved for future generations.

(Bought quite a few Atari HD's on eBay that still had something on them.... no goldmines yet, but there is always hope).

1 minute ago, Smithers said:

I have the installation floppy disc and have used it. Err sorry I will give it another try and get back to you, thanks for the help Cheers 👍

Well, I think what he's getting at is....

If you put the disk in and it boots, and the drive shows up during the boot, that's step 1.

After that, the question is, when you get to desktop, do you have a "C" drive icon?  If so, and you double click it, what happens?

If there is no "C" icon, one of the drop down menu items on the desktop lets you install devices.  Trying that might help.  Once you have a "C" drive icon after that, does it work?

Another big question is "what TOS version are you using"?

9 minutes ago, Smithers said:

I have put the installation disc in.... flying by the seat of my pants. Clicked on the HDD.Tos  and it brings a drop down option. Which do I do first.... FORMAT or PARTITION ?

Sorry stupid question   ...  does the cable from the ST go to the DMA in or the DMA out on the HDD? 🤯

18 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Also, does the install disk have anything on the label?  Like an Atari branded disk, or ICD or HDDriver.....?

I had the cable in the wrong port, idiot 🙄 I have now put the cable in the DMA in from the ST and I have a Hard disk icon below the A drive on the desktop. Really sorry about this. I appreciate your help. Just need to know whether to partition or format first thanks and sorry 

1 hour ago, Tillek said:

Also, does the install disk have anything on the label?  Like an Atari branded disk, or ICD or HDDriver.....?

Thanks Tillek.... sorry for my stupidity .. I did manage to get the C drive on the desktop and minimise the A and C drive windows a bit so I could then drag all of the Cubase utility files to the HDD. I think that the HDD is partitioned and formatted. I think that what I have done wrong in the past was that I only copied the Cubase.exe from the floppy without all of the other supporting program files which is why it would not work previously, I really am a bit hopeless 🙁. I did manage to boot the program from the HDD I think .... it came up very quickly.... but then when I rebooted the ST the C drive has gone from my desktop and I can't manage to get it back with the installation disc.

I won't give up, I will sleep on it.... I think all of the files needed are now on the HDD. 

Thank you for all of your help.... it really is appreciated very much, big learning curve for me dude 🙁

Sorry.... there was an issue that dragged me away from the computer.

So how many "hard disk" icons do you see?  Depending on who partitioned the drive, they might have done smaller partitions or larger ones.

You only need to format/partition if you want to change it.  Were they blank?  If they were blank, then again, you only need to partition or format if you want to change it.

And you're not stupid.... There is no stupidity when you're trying to learn something new.  Now if we've explained this to you 1000 times over years and you still don't get it... ok... maybe then we'll call you stupid.

But until then... no... you just don't have experience about something that people go to school to learn.  I used to tell nursing students this when I started every semester with a basic computer class back in the 90's (I worked at the local university College of Nursing as a computer lab student assistant).  They'd always say "I'm stupid" and I'd say "well, that's an insult to me because my degree is in computer science... should I feel "stupid" if I walk into your Emergency Room at the hospital with chest pains and I can't explain why?  NO!

Also, if you can figure out the TOS version on the machine (or know it) that can help us with helping you decide your future options.  TOS version can help determine things like what other patches/programs you might need to correct some bugs in older versions and the maximum size of partitions.

I do highly recommend Uwe Siemet's HDDriver.  It's not that expensive (and Uwe is way nicer and more helpful than PPera in my opinion).  I think he has a more professional product and support (also because he's a far more agreeable guy, I think more people are willing to cooperate with him).  He also has a mobile app that lets you know when he publishes updates as well as being able to order a printed manual.

I'm sure others will talk about how great they think PPera is, and that's great because that gives you the opportunity to make your own decision after hearing both sides.

The ICD drivers are also an option if you don't plan to do much other than basic read/write.  If you have those, your boot screen likely has a big red ICD on it (or black if mono).

• Like 2

Thanks so much mate, very kind 

What is TOS? The Atari operating system? I See things like GEM etc. It is circa 1990 STFM and a nice SM124. The HDD is an aftermarket thing. I just want to get everything sorted to use Cubase for my music again. It's not a deal breaker, but I am an analogue guy, I put my stereo back together with my turntables and all my old LP's. Guitar player, bit of piano and analogue studio. Old fast, ah man  .... those old Doobie Brothers and Eagles records sound great on a turntable xxxx 😉🥰👍

8 minutes ago, Tillek said:

I do highly recommend Uwe Siemet's HDDriver.  It's not that expensive (and Uwe is way nicer and more helpful than PPera in my opinion).  I think he has a more professional product and support (also because he's a far more agreeable guy, I think more people are willing to cooperate with him).  He also has a mobile app that lets you know when he publishes updates as well as being able to order a printed manual.

I'm sure others will talk about how great they think PPera is, and that's great because that gives you the opportunity to make your own decision after hearing both sides.

The ICD drivers are also an option if you don't plan to do much other than basic read/write.  If you have those, your boot screen likely has a big red ICD on it (or black if mono).

Thanks dude, all I wish to do is to be able to use Cubase from the HDD to boot it more quickly and also to give me better connectivity to my outboard gear.... I have a lot of hardware music rack equipment, and prefer mostly analogue recording ie reel to reel tape machine and desk. I do have a digital interface to run the Atari to my synths and old drum machine. I am a old fast, old recording is the best.... I use a valve guitar amp and an old valve microphone xxxx

46 minutes ago, Tillek said:

Going to be AFK for a bit watching the next episode of Star Wars: Andor, but I'll be back after that.

(Also, Uwe's driver has a "demo" version that might actually handle all your needs too).

https://www.hddriver.net/

Thanks Tillek, Uwe's stuff looks great and really cool... I am just a tecky simpleton, I am a great musician but not very technical minded. I did do a computer course many years ago and learned binary, hex, assembler language etc but that was way back in the midsts of time. I am really not well up on the whole genre of Atari language and the operating system but it does really interest me. If I can just read up and get the HDD sorted then I would really like to learn more 🥰

Nice little system now.... ST520 FM upgraded to 4mB with a hi res SM124 mono and colour SC1224, monitor master switch and the pesky 200mB HDD that is foxing me at the moment. Cubase 3.1 Score and loads of games and floppy apps .... so all is good  👍 

1 hour ago, Smithers said:

What is TOS? The Atari operating system? I See things like GEM etc. It is circa 1990 STFM and a nice SM124. The HDD is an aftermarket thing. I just want to get everything sorted to use Cubase for my music again. It's not a deal breaker, but I am an analogue guy, I put my stereo back together with my turntables and all my old LP's. Guitar player, bit of piano and analogue studio. Old fast, ah man  .... those old Doobie Brothers and Eagles records sound great on a turntable xxxx 😉🥰👍

Yes.... "The Operating System" (well, other people say it means other things, but the truth is lost to the sands of time and corporate meeting privacy. ;) ).

So the copyright dates tend to tell the story... Like for example... This means TOS 1.04 or better (also called TOS 1.4)

TOS_1.04_%28Rainbow_TOS%29.png

They call it "Rainbow TOS" because the Atari Logo is in a rainbow pattern, unlike older versions.

If the copyright date is 85 or 87, this could cause some issues.  If it's 89 (like above) or later, that's much better. (Especially for HD use).

Now that's some good music!

Thanks dude, all I wish to do is to be able to use Cubase from the HDD to boot it more quickly and also to give me better connectivity to my outboard gear.... I have a lot of hardware music rack equipment, and prefer mostly analogue recording ie reel to reel tape machine and desk. I do have a digital interface to run the Atari to my synths and old drum machine. I am a old fast, old recording is the best.... I use a valve guitar amp and an old valve microphone xxxx

We'll set you up man.....

And by the time we're done with you, you'll be helping others... and begging for more cool stuff!