IGNORED

HDD setup for ST

Smithers

10 hours ago, atarian1 said:

Click on a drive icon first (like the C drive icon) to highlight it first, then go to Install New Drive.

Β 

I don't think there were 15MB hard drives, but the C drive is usually small so that it can be dedicated to AUTO programs, accessories, fonts, and other terminal-and-stay-resident type programs.

All sorted thanks πŸ˜‰πŸ‘ installed D and E and total capacity of C + D + E is now 211mB. Thanks for the help mate πŸ‘

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Here are is QUICK MOUSE, QMOUSE.PRG

Β 

just copy it to your AUTO folder on the hard drive.

If there's no AUTO folder, just create one and put this file in it.

Β 

You can try it first by double clicking the program and see if your mouse is now fast enough

Β 

QMOUSE.PRG 385 BΒ Β·Β 0 downloads

Thanks TG, sorted the D and E drives out finally. Total now is 211mB, really pleased πŸ‘ Cheers again for all of your great help and advice πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

9 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Here are is QUICK MOUSE, QMOUSE.PRG

Β 

just copy it to your AUTO folder on the hard drive.

If there's no AUTO folder, just create one and put this file in it.

Β 

You can try it first by double clicking the program and see if your mouse is now fast enough

Β 

QMOUSE.PRG 385 BΒ Β·Β 2 downloads

A question please TG.... How do I get the file from my Windows PC to the ST? I dont have a floppy drive for the PC. Thanks πŸ‘

9 minutes ago, Smithers said:

A question please TG.... How do I get the file from my Windows PC to the ST? I dont have a floppy drive for the PC. Thanks πŸ‘

Unfortunately without a PC floppy or a modern device that uses an SD card i.e. GOTEK, GOEX (both floppy drive emulators)

you are going to find it difficult to get files onto your hard drive.

Β 

I keep an old PC that has a floppy drive to write ST disk images onto floppy disks.

Although I have since bought a GOEX and now don't need the PC floppy disk so much.

Β 

I also use a device called NETUSBEE, with that you can copy files onto a USB stick on your PC, pop

the stick into the NETUSBEE device on your ST and just copy the files onto your hard drive.

Unfortunately again to use one of these you would still need a floppy disk with the driver files

on to install on the ST.

Another feature of NETUSBEE is it has an Ethernet interface and you can do straight copies of files

to and from your ST over your network. Nice for backing up files to your PC.

Β 

32 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Unfortunately without a PC floppy or a modern device that uses an SD card i.e. GOTEK, GOEX (both floppy drive emulators)

you are going to find it difficult to get files onto your hard drive.

Β 

I keep an old PC that has a floppy drive to write ST disk images onto floppy disks.

Although I have since bought a GOEX and now don't need the PC floppy disk so much.

Β 

I also use a device called NETUSBEE, with that you can copy files onto a USB stick on your PC, pop

the stick into the NETUSBEE device on your ST and just copy the files onto your hard drive.

Unfortunately again to use one of these you would still need a floppy disk with the driver files

on to install on the ST.

Another feature of NETUSBEE is it has an Ethernet interface and you can do straight copies of files

to and from your ST over your network. Nice for backing up files to your PC.

Β 

Thanks TG, I thought this would be the case. But no worries, I am so happy to have sorted out the partition issues and got the D and E running now and its 211mB, more than I will ever need, so thanks again for the great help dude πŸ₯°πŸ‘. If I can just learn one new little thing about the TOS and GEM every day then I am happy πŸ‘

I am thinking that aftermarket floppy drives to plug into a Windows PC may still be available? I think if I get one and download Atari apps from the web, would the ST recognise the format? Would I need to format the disc on the ST first?

Thanks mate πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

Smithers

8 minutes ago, Smithers said:

I am thinking that aftermarket floppy drives to plug into a Windows PC may still be available?

Unless your PC is quite old and supports floppy drives, then there is no option that I know works on a PC and ST.

I have a USB floppy drive I used on Windows 10, but couldn't get it to format 720K disks, I think there may be

some that can, but not sure on that. Essentially the ST can read PC formatted disks (360K and 720K) but the

PC can't read ST formatted disks, and modern PC motherboards don't have the floppy connections any more.

28 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Unless your PC is quite old and supports floppy drives, then there is no option that I know works on a PC and ST.

I have a USB floppy drive I used on Windows 10, but couldn't get it to format 720K disks, I think there may be

some that can, but not sure on that. Essentially the ST can read PC formatted disks (360K and 720K) but the

PC can't read ST formatted disks, and modern PC motherboards don't have the floppy connections any more.

Ok thanks TG.. πŸ‘

10 hours ago, kodak80 said:

Windows 10 can format 720kb disks in a USB floppy drive as long as the drive supports it

I think most of the USB drives on sale are the cheaper "Chinese" brands (they all look the same), that's the type I have

when you try to format this is what I get:-

Insert new disk for drive A:
and press ENTER when ready...
The type of the file system is RAW.
The new file system is FAT.
Formatting 720 KB
Parameters not supported by drive.

Format failed.

Β 

I don't know if better USB drives let you know they support older formats.Β 

Β 

Just an interesting point, I recently bought a new motherboard/CPU/Memory and it surprised me

to see they have reinstated an RS232 Port and PS2 Keyboard/Mouse support. Who knows, Floppy interface next :)

Β 

On 10/13/2022 at 3:51 AM, Tillek said:

All good man.Β  I played Trombone from 4th grade till a senior in high school... and I still suck at music. :(Β Β 

Β 

I spent my life in tech.Β  We all do what we can.Β  If I can help you make some good music with the ST, then when I get ready to write my ultimate ST game, we can work together and leverage both our talents!

Β 

Just wish to send you a message of thanks for all the help. It really is appreciated my friend. Take care and ... Listen To The MusicΒ 

πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ‘πŸ‘

On 10/15/2022 at 9:49 PM, TGB1718 said:

I think I will live with the slow mouse.... its not a big issue. Thanks for all of your help TG ..... really appreciated πŸ₯°πŸ‘