IGNORED

How do you press "option c" in Atari800(Mac) in AtariWriter Plus?

Maury Markowitz

I'm playing about with AtariWriter Plus. One of its key features is horizontal scrolling, which is invoked using option-C. I assume they mean the same option key I'm thinking of. Yet every attempt I've made to invoke this command has failed.

On Atari800(Mac) the Option key is in a separate window, or using F2. However, neither of these options seems to work. I strongly suspect that when you hold down the "key" in the window it no longer receives other keystrokes (but how to tell?) and the fn-F2-c seems to trigger the new control panel gizmo.

Anyone know the trick here?

You press OPTION and while holding it, press C, it asks you how many columns, enter 80 and

when you type it will scroll, or use cursor keys as normal.

I'm using Altirra, so START/SELECT/OPTION are mapped to F2,F3 and F4

Edited by TGB1718

3 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

I don't have a Mac, but isn't there Wine to emulate a PC, then run Altirra ?

Yes, you can do that. There are a number of us who do exactly that. To do that, you have to download Wine and use the 64-bit version of Altirra. There's a learning curve to setting up Wine and Altirra, but it can be done. I run the commercial version of Wine (CrossOver) so I can run both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Altirra.

Bob C

4 hours ago, Maury Markowitz said:

Well it seems the new macOS won't allow this, at least by default. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to disable it's use of F2.

In the Keyboard system preference pane, check the "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys". When you do this, pressing F2-c will give you the "How Many columns:" prompt you're expecting. I leave this checked because multiple emulators use the standard function keys. I don't use the Mac-specific functions as much so it's easy to remember to press fn as well as the function key if I want to mute sound, increase/decrease volume, etc.

Bob C

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Is there no way to run Altirra under MAC OS?

It is possible using WINE or similar.  A VM is also an option if you're running VirtualBox, VMWare Fusion, etc.

Thing is, if you need (or want) to run it natively, Atari800MacX is the best bet.  It does use Altirra's ROMs by default, but the featureset is definitely different.

Personally I never use Atari800, I find it so difficult to use, it's not intuitive, the screen is so tiny and

trying to make it bigger is a real pain and I never managed anything useful.

Even more odd, yesterday having a look at this problem, I tried running the latest version, I got

a black screen with lots of pops and bangs :( , I did a full reset settings and pointed to all

the relevant ROM's, attached a disk, set the system etc. and still it wouldn't run, what was

more worrying is my PC started to run really slow, everything!, I checked in Task Manager 

and nothing seemed to be eating resources, I killed the Atari800 process, but the PC

still ran slow, in the end I had to re-boot.

Not sure what Atari800 did, but don't think I'll ever run it again, there's something seriously wrong with it on the PC.