IGNORED

Mario Brothers

dhe

On suggestion, I went over to JS99er and was running the F18A demo's collected there.

One was a very well represented screen of Super Mario Brothers. I remember at one time, there was an add for a Mario Brother like game in Micropendium.

Does anyone have a copy of that, I'm interested in how close that came to the original.

It's a terrible take on it, why are people so generous with it?

Here's a walkthrough for the entire game:

- pick up the joystick

- hold right and fire

If it doesn't crash, you will complete all the levels in sequence. On the very rare case that you die, you'll have plenty of lives to continue.

Their ad for it was "pushes the TI to its limits!". It pushes your PATIENCE to its limits with the 2-3 minute load time.

I'm still bitter that Micropendium gave it four stars when it looks awful and crashes all the time, and my game only 2.5 because it didn't support two players. ;)

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

Interesting copy of the manual--and of significantly higher quality than the one I received with my copy of the program. Mine was a very poor double-sided photocopy on white paper. I'm glad there was a better copy out there. . .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tursi said:

I'm still bitter that Micropendium gave it four stars when it looks awful and crashes all the time, and my game only 2.5 because it didn't support two players. ;)

Yeah, well, they can suck on your conversion of Dragon's Lair.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tursi said:

Which game are you talking about?  I would like to take a look at it.

I agree that this one is hard to watch and probably was hard to play.  

2 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Interesting copy of the manual--and of significantly higher quality than the one I received with my copy of the program. Mine was a very poor double-sided photocopy on white paper. I'm glad there was a better copy out there. . .

That's what I had too. I wonder why that one is red?

43 minutes ago, DuaneAL said:

Which game are you talking about?  I would like to take a look at it.

I agree that this one is hard to watch and probably was hard to play.  

Mine was Super Space Acer. It's in Classic99. Here's the review (right beside RXB! ;) )

image.thumb.jpeg.99ba4ca2ebb720c6ece758e78883313f.jpeg

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, DuaneAL said:

Wow, that was harsh! 

The reviewer says it can't be difficult to add a second player- nothing is difficult or even impossible if you (the reviewer) don't have to do it.

I was still rather inexperienced, it's true. There's no score because I hadn't yet thought of loading character patterns to the VDP dynamically, or separate character sets for sprites and characters... and there were no patterns free for the 10 digits. I'll eventually get the update done, the Coleco version is looking way better. Mind you, a friend of mine has prophesied that the completion of Super Space Acer (started in 1988) is a mark of the end of the world.

I know I considered two player, but only simultaneous. But again, I had no sprites free and didn't think about how to flicker. Besides, I didn't have any friends, what did I care for two player? ;)

• Like 6