IGNORED

Found Old Magazine Clippings - Anywhere to post them? (PSAN / SPACE)

Zolaerla

Hello out there!

I just received a pile of old PSAN (Puget Sound Atari News) / SPACE articles & reviews that my mother (Penny Ormston / The Vindicator) had written back in the 80s and early 90s that I didn't even know existed. I only knew she did maybe 5 articles, and it turns out there are probably 80+ of them. I am planning on scanning every page I've received, and although quite a bit more content will be available in the scans, there are not entire magazines or the like here.

I was wondering if there was anywhere to post the PNGs of the scans for people who might be interested. I will also just host them on my own web servers (I do websites for a living after all), but nobody would find them there. Should I just put them into a giant .ZIP/.RAR and post that here?

Thanks!

• Like 3

That's awesome. Lots of folks here would love that!  Post here and people will download and read it for sure.

But I suggest reaching to Kay Savetz at internet archive. 

kay @ savetz.com

https://www.savetz.com/

He really takes Atari Archiving seriously and will appreciate this find for sure.

Sounds very special.

Thanks for sharing with the community.

Eric

@Zolaerla

You can archive (post) them here as well as Archive.org. If you don't want to create an archive.org account (it's free) I can post them up there on my account if you post them here. I can also check what has been archived as well if you list what you have. It might save you some time from scanning what already has been scanned. If you are new to scanning I can help with that as well. Just let me know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Allan said:

@Zolaerla

You can archive (post) them here as well as Archive.org. If you don't want to create an archive.org account (it's free) I can post them up there on my account if you post them here. I can also check what has been archived as well if you list what you have. It might save you some time from scanning what already has been scanned. If you are new to scanning I can help with that as well. Just let me know.

The sad thing is that I know she used to have the entire magazines for these. It seems that after she died, her husband cut out everything that she was involved with and threw out the rest, which is really unfortunate for proper archival.

I unfortunately have really finnicky scanner software, so 200DPI is all I can do. I'm making these for myself, and just wanted to see if anybody else wants any of these. I'll post the first batch here in a moment.

Having gone through them all again, these are exclusively articles from PSAN (SPACE is just mentioned a lot in some of these, sorry), from June 1987 to June 1991. My mother unfortunately had retrograde amnesia shortly after this and never did anything else on the Atari scene.

I have attached the scanned pages from 1987. Please let me know if there is value to sharing these.

873463974_PSAN1987.zip

• Like 3

Whatever you can scan would be great. If there are a lot to scan, I can scan them for you and return them. I have done that with a number of Atariage users. You can see my work here: https://archive.org/details/@allan52. Either way, thanks for posting these. User group newsletters are getting harder to find.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 3:09 PM, Allan said:

Whatever you can scan would be great. If there are a lot to scan, I can scan them for you and return them. I have done that with a number of Atariage users. You can see my work here: https://archive.org/details/@allan52. Either way, thanks for posting these. User group newsletters are getting harder to find.

I'm going to take a picture of some other Atari books I have so you can let me know if you want any (all) of them and I can just ship them all to you. I would rather they get archived and handled than just collect dust in a bin.

In any case, it is very time consuming scanning these, but it gives me a chance to read them a bit too, so I'll work through it. I just completed the 1988 pages and there were a lot more. They are attached.

1452454967_PSAN1988.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2022 at 9:39 AM, Atari_Ace said:

BTW, the 1989 and 1990 PSAN issues can be found at https://commodore.bombjack.org/atari-st/st-newsletters/puget-sound-atari-news/puget-sound-atari-news.htm.  I count at least 26 articles over those issues by Penny Ormston.

Thank you for sharing this. It seems to be very similar in count to what I have received. I'll skip my archive of the '89 and '90 files since they're already PDF'd there.

A few notes on the Misc Clippings that don't have issue identifiers:

Ernie's Magic Shapes review - from PSAN May 1989, page 35

I, Ludicrous review - from PSAN May 1989, page 11

Phantasie II review - according to the January 1989 index, this was from PSAN May 1988, page 28

Understanding the Technology cartoon - from PSAN June 1989, page 17 - by Nick Berry