IGNORED

Pitfall 2 +

Inky

Hi there,

P2plus was probably scrapped for many reasons:

1) The native Pitfall 2 code is complicated-- just changing map items does not remove collision detection. Actual game code needs to be changed to do this, which is nontrivial

2) There is no saleable market for it. No one could reproduce these carts because you would need to create boards that support a DPC, and you'd need to have DPC's. You can cannibalize Pitfall 2 carts for this, or try to find a place that sells them (good luck).

3) Even if you did manage to get a bunch of DPC's and etched boards that supported them, you'd never be able to change any of the graphic colors or sprites. They're all encoded in the DPC. Essentially, you'd need to be a hardware wizard and create your own DPC clone out of a PIC or some sort of hardware. Lots of effort here.

So, this means you would only be able to play it on an emulator after a lot of investment of work.

In my opinion, Pitfall 2 is the best 2600 game ever created. Why would anyone want to try to recreate or re-map perfection? If you wanted to make your own carts, you may end up cannibalizing Pitfall 2 carts, which is a terrible thing to do to such a great game. Seems like a wasted effort to me. I think the best way to appreciate the game isn't to hack it, but to play it. :)

Just my 2cents.

Thanks,

-John K. Harvey

well the game is a LONG dead issue to me. I can pick it up and get to quick claw rather quickly and effortlessly even after years of not playing it. So even if I can only play it an emu, I -LOVE- seeing new maps for it. I love the 2600 PF2 engine. I'd love to see tons of maps for it. I'm VERY over the stock map.

It's funny, I love macs, they much more powerful than pcs and the underdog, but when it comes to emulation and software they are about as useful as gasoline for stopping a fire. so sadly, the pc is my my main platform. i miss the days when the mac and the amiga and the st were all on more equal footing.

Even if you did manage to get a bunch of DPC's and etched boards that supported them, you'd never be able to change any of the graphic colors or sprites.  They're all encoded in the DPC.  Essentially, you'd need to be a hardware wizard and create your own DPC clone out of a PIC or some sort of hardware.  Lots of effort here.

Isn't Pitfall 2 just one chip with the graphics and code ROMs included with the DPC logic? (At least that's what the patent seemed to suggest.) If so, then it would be impossible to hack Pitfall 2 without creating a DPC clone.

I love macs... but when it comes to emulation and software they are about as useful as gasoline for stopping a fire.

What???

Geez, and all this time I thought my copies of MacMAME and MacMESS and Stella and Jum52 and Atari800X and RockNES were working just fine! Not to mention VirtualPC... (Well, OK, Jum52 has some issues.) I must be on crack! :D

My experience with Mac emulation is great! In fact I plan to get a used G4 tower to go in my MAME cabinet!