IGNORED

Pitfall 2 +

Inky

Isn't Pitfall 2 just one chip with the graphics and code ROMs included with the DPC logic?  (At least that's what the patent seemed to suggest.)  If so, then it would be impossible to hack Pitfall 2 without creating a DPC clone.

If I remember right, I think there are 2 chips in the cart-- one is the 8K ROM for the game logic, and the other is the DPC-- it includes 2K of ROM (game graphic data) plus all the bells and whistles that the DPC includes (music multiplexer, oscillators, etc). So, someone would have to re-invent the DPC if they wanted to hack Pitfall 2 graphics. But other game logic would be up for grabs.

I don't remember too well tho; it's been awhile since I cracked open a P2 cart-- so, anyone, is it one chip or 2?

-John K. Harvey

Isn't there any Mac user that is able to recompile Stella using the "illegal opcode" support of the latest release? :?

Sure there is.

The trouble with only having a 2% market share (or whatever we're down to this afternoon) is that we also only have a fraction of the number of programmers that are on the PC side. Less programmers = less likelihood of one of them having the spare time to do it.

It has nothing to do with the Mac being less capable, or the programmers being less gifted, it's just there aren't enough programmers out there, relative to the PC.

For instance, MacMAME used to have three programmers regularly contributing to it, now it's down to one, and there are only so many hours in a week to earn a living, have a life, and maybe squeeze in a hobby as time-consuming as emulation. There's nothing stopping anyone else from contributing to MacMAME (or Mac Stella), other than finding someone with the skills, time and willingness to actually do it. The source is out there for anyone who wants to work on it.

I'll admit, as a Mac user, I get frustrated by the emulators on the Mac being behind the PC side. But I'm not frustrated enough to learn to program, or get a PC, so I live with it.