IGNORED

Emulation related windows issue...Help please..

Mclaneinc

I love my emulators, it's basically all my PC is used for but I've ran into an issue that is annoying. I was letting RyuJinx self update and it hung when replacing the files with the newer ones. The error in the background produced by it wasn't very revealing.  Another time I was updating an emulator for the Gamecube and Directory Opus popped up an error saying the files was in use, yet a look at Win 10's process manager showed no direct link to the file or the main exe. Since then I've noticed that almost all the emulators that have been ran since the machine was booted would show the exact same behaviour, files used in the emulator all still in use by a process. I checked to see if a virus scan was ongoing, nope and kept looking at the process manager but as said, no in your face show of the files or the emulator being used.

What is odd is that other things happily update without this issue. I made sure I was in Admin mode, I'll keep looking till I find the problem as I have to reboot every time to update the said emulators (and they have been scanned so many times for Malware or Virus, not a single instance found via Zone Alarm or MalwareBytes free.

So to be clear, this only happens if one of the emulators has already been ran and closed down during the same session, if you then try to update them after this, the problem happens, rebbooting fixes it but I have a lot of emulators that update daily..A royal pain in the behind..

Any devs with any clue of this?

Edited by Mclaneinc
Spalling..... :)

I know it's a pain, but I would uninstall each one, one at a time and see if you can find the culprit that way.

Or just uninstall them all and re-install one at a time, run it and see again when the problem appears, you never know

the uninstall/reinstall may even clear the problem

Kill werfault.exe on sight if you see it, it's the Windows Error Reporter and will commonly hold a long on EXEs as long as it's running. It's supposed to finish quickly, but frequently gets hung.

Use Resource Monitor > CPU > Associated Handles > Search Handles to see if you can spot anything else holding a lock on the EXEs.

Beyond that, you would need to use Process Explorer's handle search to try to find a handle to the process, as a process handle will hold the process open and thus the EXE.

I had that same problem running Project Tempest where not only it didn't end the process at exit but kept the screen on the display.  Sometimes I can kill it from Task Manager but if I can't find it I use the taskill command

taskkill /IM PT.exe

Now if I want to run PT from a front-end, I have to use a batch file that will A.) run the ROM in the emulator and B.) kill the process after it's done.

On 11/25/2022 at 8:16 AM, Mclaneinc said:

So to be clear, this only happens if one of the emulators has already been ran and closed down during the same session, if you then try to update them after this, the problem happens, rebbooting fixes it but I have a lot of emulators that update daily..A royal pain in the behind..

Does that happen with EVERY self-updating emulator? Because that starts getting into the "what the hell else is running on your system" question set. Ryujinx has a bad update approach and I've seen it fail myself more than once (I'm always careful to back it up first now). But most others use some variation of shuffle new to old without the renaming Ryujinx does, and those don't get hung up.

If you have it, RPCS3 is a good check, because it so frequently updates it's almost inevitable there is one waiting for you when you launch.

Yuzu and Fyujinx are the worst offenders, and yes, the renaming files to old often breaks and you get a folder full of multiply renamed .old files with 2 or 3 .olds in each file name. The only reason I allow it to update itself is that some of the emulator sites compile their own release versions and muck it up a lot of times.

Citra which updates nightly has no issues.

I just have no clue why windows is suspending the programs in a way that needs a reboot to free them.

It's not the end of the world, just annoying..