IGNORED

Atari 400 power intermittent

slx

I have a 400 with a B-key type keyboard and installed UAV. Somehow it works intermittently only. It works fine in Memo Pad mode when I turn it on without a cartridge after having been switched off for a couple of hours. Once I open the cartridge door and insert a cartridge operation it sometimes boots the cartridge and sometimes it doesn't and the power light remains out. The power LED remains off even when I remove the cartridge. 

The power board itself has been serviced and tested. 

Any ideas what could cause this and what to check for?

I’m sure you are using a new power supply.. You said the power board has been serviced but I’d check the voltage regulator(s) after replacing the power supply. Also - Crappy switch maybe? 

On a side note, I was once told that those B-Key keyboards cause issues with Atari 48k ram boards but I’ve never confirmed it.

the spring interlock switch on the cart door sometimes does not get flexed enough to get completely engaged, sometimes a little adjustment is needed... I'd check that switch and make sure it's clean, lubed, and aligned/adjusted to fully engage each time... while you are in there make sure there are no cold solder joints and the connectors are clean and fully seated.