IGNORED

No cartridge after a DOS Command (Turbo Basic)

Simon Carter

Got a bit of an odd one. Been cleaning up some 1050 drives, and after getting one back up an running, I tested it with a Turbo Basic 1.5 floppy. Loads into Turbo Basic fine. However, after entering DOS, trying to return to BASIC using option B returns a 'No Cartridge' error, even though I've just come from there. Using DOS 2.5, and an unmodified 65XE.

Pressing reset just loads up the DOS menu.

Powering down and restarting loads TB straight into a TB ready prompt...as expected

It's almost as if going to DOS from TB causes the computer to forget it has built in BASIC

Confusticated. Any advice?

Edit: Binary Loading the Autorun.sys works taking me back to TB - although at the expense of any unsaved work

Si

Edited by Simon Carter

Turbo BASIC is not a cartridge (or a cartridge-like BASIC ROM in XL+ machines) - it's just a binary loaded executable, so there is in fact no cartridge present as DOS indicates.

To return to Turbo BASIC you'd have to binary (L)oad the Turbo BASIC program, probably AUTORUN.SYS.

8 minutes ago, Simon Carter said:

Got a bit of an odd one. Been cleaning up some 1050 drives, and after getting one back up an running, I tested it with a Turbo Basic 1.5 floppy. Loads into Turbo Basic fine. However, after entering DOS, trying to return to BASIC using option B returns a 'No Cartridge' error, even though I've just come from there. Using DOS 2.5, and an unmodified 65XE.

Pressing reset just loads up the DOS menu.

Powering down and restarting loads TB straight into a TB ready prompt...as expected

It's almost as if going to DOS from TB causes the computer to forget it has built in BASIC

Confusticated. Any advice?

Edit: Binary Loading the Autorun.sys works taking me back to TB - although at the expense of any unsaved work

Si

Turbo basic xl is not the same as basic from a memory address standing. The DOS command for run cartridge points to the start of the atari basic rom starting address. You can use a Run at address command from the dos menu to do the same thing with turbo basic xl, but it's a different address. I can't recall the exact address off top of head though because I haven't done that in awhile.  

when you boot turbobasic internal basic is switched off, you would have a program that can twiddle the internal basic back on. Perhaps someone would throw together a basic on / basic off proggy for you. Then you could bounce in and out of whichever you wish... Internal BASIC or turbobasic.

Do not forget you have other available options such as ramdisk/mem.sav etc.. I am not sure but a vaguely remember some talk of a cart version of turbobasic.. some things to explore. Using run at address might work if it's not damaged or wiped out in the process

Edited by _The Doctor__