IGNORED

Collecting Everything Atari or Just 2600?

SpendTooMuchOnAtari

Hello Everyone! I am new to the forum but have been collecting Atari and visiting this great site for a couple years. I am just wondering if most of you guys/gals collect many Atari platforms or just the 2600. I like almost anything Atari although I am unable to get into Coin-Op right now. Although the 2600 is my favorite due to the number of available titles and all of the cool and crazy companies that decided to dabble in video games, I just started collecting for the Lynx.

:?

Wow, the Minor Threat shirt is cool in the pic you have. What would you consider your most prized atari game is. I just won the Obelix that was on eBay with the Instructions and it is in Excellent Condition...better than I hoped for. I see it is a Rarity 10 on the site although we all know rarity doesn't necessarily go along with the price games bring. Quadrun is only a 9 and you can easily get 3 times as much as Obelix which is a 10. Anyway, I just love Atari too!

Well... "back in the day" I only had an Atari 2600, so that has been my main focus. But I got a 7800 fairly early in my "collecting" days (1997), so I've been buying games for that system as well.

Since joining the AtariAge forums last year, I've also gotten into collecting Intellivision and NES, and just this week I got my first Atari 5200.

I also own an Asteroids cocktail table... so I guess I'm into Atari coin-op as well!

That pic in my avatar is 16 years old! That's my friend Kev with the Minor Threat shirt and I'm shirtless. We're old men now. :)

My most prized Atari carts are Kaboom and H.E.R.O, because I consider them to be the best video games of all time. I don't care about rarity as much as I do about playing the games for fun.

I am new to the forum but have been collecting Atari and visiting this great site for a couple years

Welcome aboard! We hope that your stay is a pleasant one...

As for collecting, personally I collect everything Atari that I can get my hands on. I have 100+ 2600 games(of course, who here doesn't?), Most Jag games, and a nice collection for the 5200, 7800, Lynx, 800XL(and disks), a small Atari ST collection, and an Asteroids Deluxe arcade machine. Then you add in Atari posters and then joysticks for everything, and it makes for agreat collection. I still have a long ways to go though. I went to 3 thrift stores and one pawn shop yesterday and all I found was two Pac-Man 2600 carts. It looks like the market for finding Atari stuff in my area at thrift stores is sparse these days...a few years ago it was different. But, I'd recommend collectiong it all...if you have the ca$h :wink:

Heck I collect all stuff Atari.I get in those moods where Ill feel like buying for NES,or TurboDuo,or Sega....whichever system I feel I want to persue at the time.Guess thats why I got so many darn tootin systems.Right now Im on my Atari kick (just waitin to go to work so when I get off ,Ill buy some repair stuff for my paddles).A big goal of mine is to get a cocktail version of some Pac-Man game. :roll:

Hello Everyone!  I am new to the forum but have been collecting Atari and visiting this great site for a couple years.  I am just wondering if most of you guys/gals collect many Atari platforms or just the 2600.  I like almost anything Atari although I am unable to get into Coin-Op right now.  Although the 2600 is my favorite due to the number of available titles and all of the cool and crazy companies that decided to dabble in video games, I just started collecting for the Lynx.  

:?

Hello and welcome, hope you stick around. :)

Personally, I collect everything 2600 and 5200 as well as any kind of unusual development, marketing and prototype material.

Hey, CPUWIZ is Mr.Microcode. I have bought games from you, your auctions are always great. I enjoy seeing all of the neat games that you have for auction. You all are very nice here in the forum, thanks so much! I do have one more thought, check this out!

What about a rarity guide for instructions? Instructions for Atari games are an awesome accessory to find with the cartridge as well as boxes although I am not a big box collector. I guess the rarity guide is for all items related to the game but when someone says they have a certain game, I am always wondering what they have with it. For instance, some Data Age games have the instructions and then a little piece of paper which was meant to look old or something. I have the one for Bermuda Triangle. Anyway, it is just a though of how rare the instructions are, I think sometimes they are harder to find.

I think it would be incredibly hard to come up with accurate rarities for instructions. The rarities for carts themselves often come into question since they're mostly based on initial production runs (as well as they are known) and don't necessarily reflect what's really out there today.

Man, at times like this I almost wish we had Total Information Awareness... :ponder: :P

I really like collecting any Atari instructions. One of the first big items I bought on eBay was a Bumper Bash NTSC game Buy It Now and it came with the instructions, I was so excited. You don't see instructions for the really rare games that often.

On a different note, I am just jumping around. But don't you think some of the rarity levels given for games is a little (or a lot) off. Like Rubik's Cube for instance. I see an awful lot of these right along with Video Cube. The rarity seems a little high. Also, OBELIX. When I wasn't collecting Atari and I lived in Pennsylvania, I honestly sold 3 or 4 of these that I found for 50 cents and a dollar each at Flea Markets. This was back in 1999-2000 when I was selling on eBay a lot. Anyway, I just bought Obelix on eBay because I now live in Phoenix, AZ and finding Atari games out here is difficult to say the least. I did find a Video Cube at my local swap meet (that's what they call it out here) with about 20 other games, a system and everything for $20.00. I sold the Video Cube for $38.00 buy it now which was excellent since I already have that one. Sorry, I am telling my life story. :ponder:

I really like collecting any Atari instructions.  One of the first big items I bought on eBay was a Bumper Bash NTSC game Buy It Now and it came with the instructions, I was so excited.  You don't see instructions for the really rare games that often.  

While separate rarity for instructions is tedious, generating a list of common games (say games with rarities ranging from 1-6) with uncommon instruction rarity is probably doable.

On a different note, I am just jumping around.  But don't you think some of the rarity levels given for games is a little (or a lot) off.  Like Rubik's Cube for instance.  I see an awful lot of these right along with Video Cube.  The rarity seems a little high.  Also, OBELIX.  When I wasn't collecting Atari and I lived in Pennsylvania, I honestly sold 3 or 4 of these that I found for 50 cents and a dollar each at Flea Markets.  This was back in 1999-2000 when I was selling on eBay a lot.  Anyway, I just bought Obelix on eBay because I now live in Phoenix, AZ and finding Atari games out here is difficult to say the least.  I did find a Video Cube at my local swap meet (that's what they call it out here) with about 20 other games, a system and everything for $20.00.   I sold the Video Cube for $38.00 buy it now which was excellent since I already have that one.  Sorry, I am telling my life story.   :ponder:

While these games may appear frequently on Ebay (and yes, I do agree that Obelix is more an 8 or 9 than a 10), assigning rarity solely on the basis of frequency of appearance on Ebay is dangerous.

They're symbolic of how many posts you've made in the forums.

As for your comment about inaccuracy of rarity ratings... this is a big topic around here. There's a lot of debate. The fact is it's really hard, if not impossible, to assign accurate rarity ratings. But the guys here have done a pretty good job considering what little information they had to work with.

Also, keep in mind that it takes a lot of time to go through and decide when corrections should be made and then actually update the database. AtariAge is a hobby, even for those who are running it. So I always try to cut Albert and Alex and everyone else involved as much slack as possible, since they have no real incentive to work on this stuff, besides a love for the hobby.

Or to be precise:

Posts       Rank                 Joysticks

========    ===============      =========

0-9         Combat Commando      0

10-49       Space Invader        1

50-99       Star Raider          2

100-249     Chopper Commander    3

250-499     Moonsweeper          4

500 -999    Dragonstomper        5

1000-1999   Stargunner           6

2000-4999   River Patroller      7

5000-       Quadrunner           8

They're symbolic of how many posts you've made in the forums.

As for your comment about inaccuracy of rarity ratings... this is a big topic around here.  There's a lot of debate.  The fact is it's really hard, if not impossible, to assign accurate rarity ratings.  But the guys here have done a pretty good job considering what little information they had to work with.

Also, keep in mind that it takes a lot of time to go through and decide when corrections should be made and then actually update the database.  AtariAge is a hobby, even for those who are running it.  So I always try to cut Albert and Alex and everyone else involved as much slack as possible, since they have no real incentive to work on this stuff, besides a love for the hobby.

I agree 100%, this is an absolutely amazing site and I have read that it is run as a hobby. They have done an excellent job on the site and I can't even begine to imagine the time spent with the rarity guide. I am just as much of an eBay-geek as I am an Atari-Geek so I intertwine the rarity with what I see there and I know that is not right and it is not what the rarity guide stands for. A rarity guide has to be a combination of many different sources. Just like the Telegames.com website and the games they sell. They are not the cheapest there but are readily available. However, can't find these at the local Goodwill very often...even cartridge only. In conclusion, the site is awesome and I actually think the rarity guide is very accurate for the most part. :D

Telegames is kind of a rip-off. Sure they've got the stuff... but a lot of others have the stuff too, for cheaper.

That said, Telegames is the only one of those suppliers I've ever bought anything from! (OK... I did buy some stuff from O'Shea a few years ago before they sold out of all the good stuff.)

I haven't bought from 4 Jays but lots of people here recommend them:

http://www.4jays.com/

I collect all things Atari, as well as other companies, but my main interest always has been and always will be Atari. My favorites are the 8-bit computer line and the Jaguar, but I have all the relevent Atari systems. I've been an atari fan since the days of Pong&2600, I became an Atari fanatic shortly after buying my first Atari 8-bit computer.