IGNORED

Best Graphics

Trooper

Agreed. There's something appealing about Secret Quest, but it "ain't" the graphics!

Not that they're horrible. They seem good compared to Adventure, which is the natural comparison I make due to the way the rooms are laid out.

But yeah. Secret Quest is a cool concept game with acceptable graphics. Solaris is a work of art.

I'd like to see a thread where people vote on the game with the best graphics for each year. That might be fun. You'd have to make sure you had a correct list of games for each year though, since you can't trust the date on the cartridge.

For it's time Superman was graphically innovative... I believe it was one of the first games to use multi-colored sprites and many of the sprites had multiple "frames" of animation.

A vote for best graphics for each ROM size would be interesting too. It would sort of level the playing field. Demon Attack had some of the best graphics for a 4k game.

I like both of those ideas, by year (yeah, where's the best place to look for that?) or by ROM size. Or maybe by game genre (shooter, maze, etc.)

We seem to have a pretty clear concensus that the "best overall" graphics award should go to Solaris, but that doesn't leave us very much room for discussion. :)

Hi there!

We seem to have a pretty clear concensus that the "best overall" graphics award should go to Solaris, but that doesn't leave us very much room for discussion. :)

Fatal Run :P

Hm... well, based on year might be tough to do. How about based on size? Best 2/4/8K graphics?

Hm²... but on 2K Sky Jinks is already a safe bet... :D

Greetings,

Manuel

That is because there isn't anything more to discuss. You look at Solaris, you see how the radar is actually acurate to the enemy's location on the screen, you notice all the sounds, the warp effect..the Corridors My absolute Fave!!!). I have to be honest and say that personally, no other game even comes close to the complexity and diversity of gameplay as Solaris. There are others that look pretty good and Tomcat and even Pete Rose for the 2600 are very good examples. But are they really games you can just play for like Ever! No...

Someone mentioned the game being like star raiders without the boring complex stuff. Well, I am one of those that never cared for Star Raiders either, and Solaris is the sequel. Solaris also marks one of the few instances where the Sequel truly outdoes the original and becomes the new standard.

The biggest problem I have with Solaris, is that it shows me just what can be done on a 2600 with the proper time and coding. Doug is a God it would appear considering what he did with this game on the lowly 2600.

Some might argue and want to include Radar Lock. Nope, only the ground, and the plane...and the rest is borrowed from Solaris. There is no map, no other planets to land on and save or blow up things on. I like Radar Lock also...but nothing is Solaris.

There...that enough "discussion" for ya?

hehe

;)

If someone does make a thread or two were we have a multiple choice vote for different years, type of game, or ROM size, I'm putting my vote in for Moonsweeper in there somewhere because that game impressed the crap out of me when it was new.

post-13-1064871940_thumb.jpg

not to stroke thomas' already mostrous ego :) but thrust really does have a great look on the 2600, the scrolling and everything really feel like a more advanced computer game.

and yea, when moonsweeper came out, that game BLEW ME AWAY with it's graphics. & It's still good lookin. It's Imagic :-)