IGNORED

How much of your collection is stuff you owned as a kid?

Room 34

A good amount of my Atari stuff was owned by my dad before I was born in 1984. The system and most games (I haven't tested them all yet) work perfectly. Can't count the games right now, 'cuz I'm not home.

I think the rarest game I own is the white label version of Space Shuttle. Yeah, I'm just getting into this. =(

I've still got my original Vader and the dozen or so carts my family had growing up, including the copy of M*A*S*H that died sometime while it was in storage. I'm pretty sure the original box is up in the attic back home, but last time I looked I couldn't find it. My daily use joysticks are also the originals except for replacing the white plastic piece inside. The rubber boots still show teeth marks from my little sister who was about 2 at the time we got it.

I'm kind of attached to my original carts and don't plan on trading them off, not that they're rare or anything. I'm just a packrat, but most here can sympathize with that.

We never had any other systems at home except the Atari. Unless I count the old TRS-80 our pastor gave to us after he got a newer computer. I never got into it too much though because there weren't many games and it was a pain to FFW to the right part of the cassette. Give me a cartridge any day. I think the only games I played on that were Fruitfly (a shooter) and some mystery game where you basically typed in North, South, East, or West to navigate through the rooms of a castle in the right order by trial and error to escape or solve the mystery, I don't really recall. Fun for an afternoon, but not much replay value.

I dug out what I have left from my parents house about a year ago. All I have is a six switch console, paddles, and about thirty boxes. All the carts and a tele games storage center was left at an ex-girlfriends house about 15 yrs. ago. Most of the games were commons though and since then with the aid of ebay I have all those carts and then some. With the help AtariAge I found out about all the extras that I never knew even existed, like the supercharger. :D

Ahhh, sadly I have NONE of the original systems or games I had when I was growing up. When I was younger, we couldn't really afford to buy many games, but I did have a 2600 and maybe 20-30 carts at some point. However, my mother gave the systems and games to a cousin at some point when she deemed I wasn't playing the system often enough and that they could put it to better use.

The system I really wish I had kept is all my Atari 8-bit hardware I used to have. I won't bore everyone with all the sordid details of what I had, but it was a large system used to run a large 8-bit BBS. The system consisted of a 256K 800XL, a 1MB MIO board, Adaptec HD controller, two 20MB hard drives (a huge amount of storage for the 8-bit), SpartaDOS X, R-Time 8, and tons of other hardware. Plus another system that I used for non-BBS activities (such as playing games). Sadly, I sold most of this hardware (Google is dangerous) when I went off to college. :(

..Al