IGNORED

Revision C BASIC Error that does not show in Rev A or Altirra BASIC

SoulBuster

On 12/21/2022 at 12:29 PM, MrFish said:

I just had a quick look at things here this morning.

I converted all the Mac/65 tokenized files to text files. Comparing just the size of these text files (combined) to the Rev. A text file we have...

Rev. A text = 370 KB

Mac/65 text = 227 KB

So, it looks like they may not be complete (I doubt using Mac/65 could reduce the sources that much?). Maybe for a version to patch Rev. A?

Anyway, I'll upload here, so people who know exactly what to look for can figure out what they are.

The ZIP contains the original disks that I'm working from (Mac/65 tokenized files),

then the tokenized files pulled from the disks (*.m65),

and then the text file versions (*.mac).

Atari BASIC - Source.zip 227.76 kB · 5 downloads

I was able to compile this without any errors. However the output file isn't a ROM and it doesn't seem to be an Atari executable either. The file is just over 10 KB too.

I noticed on the main file I'm compiling from (all the others are ".INCLUDE") it has this as the first line...

025000   .TITLE "ATARI BASIC -- FOR GCC"

So... General Computer Corporation, of course.

...and then it defines some "syntax macros", which are used by the other source files.

Here's the object file and the list output.

atb.obx

atblist.txt

17 hours ago, 800_Rocks said:

Also FYI... unless you just like typing-in programs... all the ANALOG Magazine disks have been imaged (to .ATR files).  There are found in many places but I find them in the Holmes->Holmes3->ANALOG directory at this link.

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/holmes cd/index.html

I did find an archive of all the Analog disks, but not all programs from the magazine are on them,  take issue 9 for example, Dungeons and Dragons Housekeeper is not on the disk in this archive or the one I found. So it needs to be typed in.  Also, some of the assembly listings are not on the disks.  These are incomplete at best.  I am using up three sides of a single density disk to complete issue 9. This archive only includes 1 side of enhanced density.

In addition, some of the programs on the disks are the updated ones from a later issue and the disk does not include the version that was originally published.  So they do not reflect what is in the magazine associated with the disk, but rather the updated version from a later magazine. that original program is missing.

I am making each disk reflect what is in the magazine that it goes with, and that includes verifying each program I find on these other archives, and use them if I can.  I have found some that are not the original type-ins.  It will be the most complete and accurate set of Analog ATRs around. As I am working through them, you will find them listed here and on my TNFS server at www.naberhood.com

• Like 3

I have been working through this D&D Housekeeper and found another difference in BASICs:

Rev A can handle more variables per program than Rev C.  I got an error 4 while entering in a new variable with Rev C  and Rev A does not have that problem.  Did not check Altirra.

I am going to finish this in Rev A and make note that it only runs under Rev A BASIC.

24 minutes ago, kheller2 said:

I'm assuming this same variable limitation is on REV B -- could you check to make sure?

Rev B does not error on the number of variables, nor does it error on the "reserved word" error on line 3511 that Altirra errors on, but it does error on the complex line on line 3018.

I checked Altirra for the too-many-variable error and it does not have the error.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:29 PM, MrFish said:

I found an entry for this on AtariWiki.org, by searching from Google.

They have no additional details. Interestingly, they have it on a DOS 2.0D disk. I'm not sure if they obtained it that way or put the files on in order to fit them all to a single disk. Having seen that, I'm pretty sure I didn't get my copy from there. It does look to contain the same files, though.

AtariWiki: Atari BASIC for GCC