IGNORED

vintagecomputercenter shuts down sales?

hloberg

I think it was officially down a week ago, maybe two. He'd announced it on all the regular Atari FB groups at least a couple of months ago, maybe three and I'm pretty sure he announced it here as well, but I can't seem to find the post at the moment. He announced that he was closing down due to personal reasons. It was definitely a sad day for Atari lovers.

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Ahh, that was your post. I was misremembering that Gavin had posted that. Thanks for the information @Tillek. I was also misremembering that it was posted further back than it actually was.

Yeah... for some reason I thought I had posted it back in October or something but alas.

Then again, maybe Gavin did post something earlier and I had just missed it?  Either way, it still sucks.  Even knowing about it, I had been hoping that "end of the year" meant "gone in January" so I had gone over there a few days ago to do my last order based on whatever he had left... but it was too late. :(

At least I got a couple decent orders in before he closed the doors.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tillek said:

At least I got a couple decent orders in before he closed the doors.

Yeah, same here. I got my FujiNet 1.5 and my 48/52K card and SCCC for my 400 from him. Gavin is a class act all the way around and, even though he didn't start up VCC as a business so much as a hobby, he's an excellent businessman. I wish him luck in everything he does and, all things considered, I'd love to see him and VCC come back some day. If not, I certainly hope to see and hear from him around these boards moving forward.

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

search is hopeless at times, roll the dice and try again, go to base 8 bit atari forum then type VCC vintage gavin and see what it grabs

Search results returned are generally fine, the big issue is it being slow and searches will sometimes time out (probably if there are a TON of results for whatever term you searched for).  I searched for "Vintage" and then specified searching in titles (since "vintage" is a common term on this forum), and selected in "This forum" and the relevant thread was the fourth search result:

Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 1.43.04 PM.png

..Al

44 minutes ago, Albert said:

Search results returned are generally fine, the big issue is it being slow and searches will sometimes time out (probably if there are a TON of results for whatever term you searched for).  I searched for "Vintage" and then specified searching in titles (since "vintage" is a common term on this forum), and selected in "This forum" and the relevant thread was the fourth search result:

Screen Shot 2022-12-23 at 1.43.04 PM.png

..Al

If i remember right it came back with no entries so it probably was the time-out issue. also didn't specify search in titles. I remember to do that next time.

6 minutes ago, hloberg said:

If i remember right it came back with no entries so it probably was the time-out issue. also didn't specify search in titles. I remember to do that next time.

Usually I only do the "search in titles" if I get too many results back and want to try and narrow it down.  Specifying multiple search terms also greatly helps on reducing the results set.  As for the timing out, generally you'll get a screen with an error when that happens, as opposed to no search results.  I have not seen the search come back with no entries unless I have spelled something wrong, narrowed my search parameters too much (which you can easily do in the "Advanced" search), or the term truly doesn't exist in the database anywhere.  If you see no results when there should be results, please let me know what you searched for, as that's something I would like to try and reproduce.

..Al

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, hloberg said:

he was a regular and then took over our monthly pandemic zoom meetings. I haven't had a chance to talk with him or attend the later meetings due to work on Saturdays. I wish him well. his Vintagecomputercenter had some really nice products. 🥲

Which meetings are these?  Not familiar with them... might be good to join if possible.

17 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

search is hopeless at times, roll the dice and try again, go to base 8 bit atari forum then type VCC vintage gavin and see what it grabs

That's just because your Google-Fu is weak, old timer!

Swedish Army Inspector | Gunboards Forums

Wait... no... I can do better.....

Weak Fu Yu - Imgflip

Because.......

Neo i know kung fu - Imgflip

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tillek said:

Which meetings are these?  Not familiar with them... might be good to join if possible.

he took over the zoom meetings well over a year ago and I wasn't able to attend anymore due to conflicts. I didn't keep up after that. just check the forum for 'Zoom' and the old meetings will pop up. when I was doing it we had about 5-7 regulars. also check his vintagecomputer... website as he has a link to the last one's he did. 

I don't know if he's doing them anymore, my guess he isn't, but if there is an interest and someone has a zoom account it could get restarted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2022 at 8:16 AM, hloberg said:

@Gavin1968 when did this happen? just went to buy a 1050 s-drive and noticed your announcement on the site sales was closed.

Sorry my friends, going through a divorce and might be doing a mid-life career change back into aviation.  Not sure what tomorrow will bring, but if I am able I will be back.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 12/24/2022 at 7:36 AM, hloberg said:

he took over the zoom meetings well over a year ago and I wasn't able to attend anymore due to conflicts. I didn't keep up after that. just check the forum for 'Zoom' and the old meetings will pop up. when I was doing it we had about 5-7 regulars. also check his vintagecomputer... website as he has a link to the last one's he did. 

I don't know if he's doing them anymore, my guess he isn't, but if there is an interest and someone has a zoom account it could get restarted.

I will keep the YouTube channel up as long as I can:

https://www.youtube.com/c/VintageComputerCenter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Gavin1968 said:

Sorry my friends, going through a divorce and might be doing a mid-life career change back into aviation.  Not sure what tomorrow will bring, but if I am able I will be back. 

Hang in there!  Take care of the important things, then the hobbies will become fun again.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...