IGNORED

OK, I think I am now a genuine 5200 fan!

Room 34

I got my second gaming session on the 5200 in today, and you know what... I think I'm hooked!

I started off with Centipede, which was just as cool the second time around. Hands down this is the best version of this game I have played on ANY computer or console. In fact, I think I like it even better than the arcade version! The attention to detail (such as the movements of the centipede's legs) is incredible!

Next I moved on to Galaxian. I liked it better this time around than before. I got the hang of using the 5200's joysticks with it and got through several rounds. I'm mentally comparing it to the 7800's version of Galaga, and I have to say I think 5200 Galaxian wins. Neither really looks THAT much like its arcade counterpart, but 5200 Galaxian just seems to be smoother and again more polished than 7800 Galaga. (OK, this is starting to sound like my "First Impressions" post, so maybe I should just shut up... Nah...)

Next up was Pac-Man. Another one where it took a few minutes to get the hang of using the 5200's joysticks. I had been on a serious Pac-Man hating streak for the past several years... make that decades. I think I was so bitter about 2600 Pac-Man (once I finally played the arcade original, which was several months AFTER I got my 2600!), that I never let the entire franchise recover for it. I always play Ms. Pac-Man when I see the coin-op in a bowling alley or wherever, but that's been it. Well now that I've been playing the 5200 version of Pac-Man, I'm starting to feel like I can maybe come back around and embrace the whole franchise again!

Next I moved on to Qix, which I really liked the first time around. Another great game!

I managed to squeeze in a minute on another game I hadn't tried yet... Countermeasure... before my kid (6 months) started to fuss about being down in the basement with me. This looks like another game I could get into. It's basically "Super Combat" with a 1-player option! Sweet!

Anyway... now that I'm starting to get used to the joysticks, and am really digging into the QUALITY that these games have (which I consistently feel is lacking with the 7800), I feel like this is probably going to be the system I give the most attention to for a while. It kicks the crap out of Intellivision. And even though its games are simpler, I actually am finding it more fun than NES at the moment.

Long live 5200!!! :D

ROBO-frigging TRON! I cant say enough about this game man!!! I LOVE how you gave the 5200 controllers a chance. I'm so sick of "ugh....that game sucks because the joystick isn't self centering". The controllers are great for the most part, just the firing buttons could use some tweeking....

Oh where was I? Oh yeah Robotron....with the joystick coupler that game (and Space Dungeon of course) REALLY showcase just how GREAT the controllers can be. Robotron is one of those games where you sweat half to death, scream and curse at the thing at the top of your lungs when you lose...yet you cant stop hitting "start" and play all over again until you have blisters.

99% of the arcade ports on the 5200 are great! Actually man, if Galaxian impressed you, wait until you play Zaxxon, Pengo, Popeye...hell ANY of them!!!

If you get the chance to have some of the proto carts made for you, Jr Pacman and Super Pacman are frigging awesome!

Welcome to the club man!!!!

If you get the chance to have some of the proto carts made for you, Jr Pacman and Super Pacman are frigging awesome!  

Oh man I just recently got those 2 and MAN are they sweet!!!I agree with ya ,5200 rocks.I plan on orderin some new parts for my 5200 controllers (those new gold plated aux buttons),new rev 9 flex cutcuits and then REALLY tear into the 5200 games.wooohooooooo :)

Oh man I just recently got those 2 and MAN are they sweet!!!

Then let me ask you something about Jr Pacman...

Dead on, as close to the coin-op as you can expect - graphics, sounds, control...(only thing missing is the intermission(s)) But.....

Is it just me or is it hard as shit?!?!?! I can barely make it past the first screen, and only ONE TIME finished the second level. (I also noticed the 2600 ver. of Jr Pac is tough too!)

Or....do I just suck and need more practice???

Awsome game nonetheless...

Yeah it is hard.When I played it way back in the arcade,it was sped up (like Ms.Pac Man)so it was easier for me(think it had a turbo button...).It is harder yup,but cool as heck.I wish there was a turbo option heh.First time I played it when I got it ,I died when the fruit was destroying the power pellet.Couldnt finish the board.Other than that bug and lack of intermissions,its an awesome port.

Pengo & Mario Bros have always been two of my favorites since way back. Robotron is excellent as well, but I only just found out about it a few years ago, never played it back in the day. The 7800 version plays well too, but without the controller coupler, it's kind of hard to control.

Also on the Pengo note, check out Brien King's site for a PC version he did called FrostByte Freddie!

Is it just me or is it hard as shit?!?!?!  

A little fiber'll help that a lot. :)

BTW, if your hands are big enough, Space Dungeon can be played without the joystick coupler. Use the joysticks as gargantuan thumbsticks.

There's prooably a reason I suck at that game...

Are there audio clips which showcase the difference?

Sure, you can just play it in Mame which has all the various versions and bootlegs of Pengo. :) The asian/bootleg versions usually have the "Popcorn" music, whereas the U.S. version has the same tune you hear in the 5200 version. Also I don't think the U.S. version has the "block clearing" at the beginning of each stage (you'll know what I mean when you see it). It's pretty easy to find and check out the differences. I can post the roms here too if ya need 'em :D

Hmmm let me see if I can find some mp3's though...

Then let me ask you something about Jr Pacman... Is it just me or is it hard as shit?!?!?!

Have you played the arcade version? It's pretty hard too!

(I haven't played the 5200 version... but as hard as the arcade game is, I think it's one of the few cases where the 2600 version is harder!)

Then let me ask you something about Jr Pacman... Is it just me or is it hard as shit?!?!?!

Have you played the arcade version? It's pretty hard too!

(I haven't played the 5200 version... but as hard as the arcade game is, I think it's one of the few cases where the 2600 version is harder!)

Yes Jr. Pacman in the arcade is HARD. But, you know the speed cheat which is so common in MsPacman arcade machines you find out there these days, well it also makes Jr. Pacman 100% more playable I've found. Most people I know who have a Jr. Pacman arcade machine (ok so there's only two :P) have their machines set to fast speed. The game just gets so much more fun. And yes, it's still challenging :)

I got my second gaming session on the 5200 in today, and you know what... I think I'm hooked!

I guess I'm a little late in posting in this thread, but I have to say, I share your enthusiasm for the 5200 Room 34.

Ever since I got my 5200 working a week or two ago I've been loving it! It's gotten more time lately than my Jag or Xbox, it's quickly become one of my preferred Atari systems :)

Countermeasure is really fun, it's satisfying thwarting terrorists plans against the U.S. :twisted: I think a 3D version of this would've been better than Hover Strike on the Jag(HS isn't a bad game though, I think it's cool as well).

Frogger 2 is a weird game but I think it's rather fun. Quite challenging though. The 'Air' level doesn't make much sense, but still it's fun, almost reminds me of Circus Atari. I can never finish the 2nd screen though. :( not a bad sequel.

Moon Patrol is awesome! I'd played it for the 2600 but the improvment really shows on the 5200. Lots of fun, great graphics, all around a great game. :D

And I've enjoyed the other games like Joust, Mario Bros., Galaxian and River Raid. I like the 8-bit version of Qix better than the 5200 version though. I'm itching to play Space Dungeon and 2player Ballblazer...I'll certainly be getting another 5200 stick before Christmas for those. :)

And finally, I'm looking forward to Adventure 2 8)

That's my 2 cents anyways.

Yeah, I'd say it's the differences in graphics and control. Perhaps it's just I've played 8-bit Qix since I was a little kid and I've always loved it and it's higher-res graphics. The control as well is set differently, I like how it is on the 1-button stick. Perhaps I just need to give 5200 a little more time than I already have. ;)

You may come to like it. I LOVE 5200 Qix, but I've never played it on the 8-bit computers. (In fact, I've never played ANYTHING on the Atari 8-bit computers. I've never even touched one, although I distinctly remember my elementary school principal had an Atari 400 in his office!)

:)

My Atari 800 came from a local elementary school. Doesn't work very well though. That's why I have an Atari 800XL, very nice 8-bit I feel. Unfortunately I can't find a screenshot of 8-bit Qix, but it runs at high-res, which I like as it gives you a lot more playfield space than the 5200 version. The control is easier too, as you can go out onto the fiels anytime and it paints blue, just hold the button down for red. Almost the same as the 5200 version but a little different. I guess growing up with 8-bit Qix has made me biased towards it, but I am giving the 5200 version a chance :wink:

Frogger 2 is a weird game but I think it's rather fun. Quite challenging though. The 'Air' level doesn't make much sense' date=' but still it's fun, almost reminds me of Circus Atari. I can never finish the 2nd screen though. :( not a bad sequel.

[/quote']

You have to land on the clouds at the top of the screen. To get to them you have to bounce your way up and jump onto the bird or something like that.

You have to land on the clouds at the top of the screen. To get to them you have to bounce your way up and jump onto the bird or something like that.

Yeah, I'd gotten that far, I just didn't finish the on top of the river part. I put a little more time in it today and got farther, it is a fun little game ;)

As for Qix, I've played that a little more too, and it isn't bad, it'd be nice if my joystick was working a little better, but I am liking the game better than the first couple of times that I played it. :P Now I just need another controller or two and I'll be set. I also got my brother to play a little 5200 today, he's more into the "next-gen" systems but used to play my Atari systems before we got a Dreamcast and Xbox...but I got him to play some 5200 and he enjoyed it. So the 5200 can still be appealing to the newer generation :wink: