IGNORED

Atari 800xl vs. Atari 600xl - UAV with different video output

tomjones76

Hello!

Revisiting my childhood by exploring my atari computers!

Recently I picked up modded (UAV) Atari XLs (600xl and 800xl).

I noticed that the 600xl’s bottom banner is green versus blue on the 800xl.

Also, the 600xl has “scanlines”. Just curious if there is a reason for this.  I think they are both neat, just trying to get some amateur / newbie understanding on the video output!

Btw, can’t wait to get a 1200xl to “complete” the line! 😉

094B131D-2207-4CF3-AC65-99516F150E22.jpeg

7AF8249B-9214-40D7-9B0D-69C9D4786021.jpeg

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

Are these both ntsc machines BTW? (Assume you are in the States?) 

Also just curious, are you hooking them up via an a/v composite cable? 

I am in the states…not sure if both are NTSC.  I did buy them from sellers in the USA.  I am assuming they are (which is a poor assumption…). Using SimCheck 1.5 they both state Video System: NTSC 60Hz GTIA. (For both XLs)

Using the same cable which goes out from the Atari XL monitor port to the S-Video in the back of TV/Monitor/Display.303E3914-94A0-49B2-983A-D813DA5D725D.thumb.jpeg.05f8aea4fd723859c19c15e345deeea4.jpegA86C6C77-115B-493C-9A5C-B80E04011B35.thumb.jpeg.c8e0a928dee287d26622cefb3121b762.jpeg

Hi

It's great you are running an S-video setup. 

With uav it has it's own colour pot adjust on the board itself. I am guessing the uav on both your machines may be adjusted in such a way that will explain the difference in colour with the lower banding, etc? 

AFAIK when I owed a uav, (since then I sold it and got Sophia2 and VBXE upgrades for my a8's), you can adjust both the computer's own color pot as well as that on the uav. 

I can't find it just yet but download and run the acp.xex/Atr (Atari control picture) and run it whist adjusting these:

image.png.8905251468bfd4b7cec14fdd1216ab28.png

6 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Hi

It's great you are running an S-video setup. 

With uav it has it's own colour pot adjust on the board itself. I am guessing the uav on both your machines may be adjusted in such a way that will explain the difference in colour with the lower banding, etc? 

AFAIK when I owed a uav, (since then I sold it and got Sophia2 and VBXE upgrades for my a8's), you can adjust both the computer's own color pot as well as that on the uav. 

I can't find it just yet but download and run the acp.xex/Atr (Atari control picture) and run it whist adjusting these:

image.png.8905251468bfd4b7cec14fdd1216ab28.png

The trimmer on the UAV is only for adjusting the artifacting colors. So you need to be running the video from the composite output of the UAV to adjust that to your liking. It doesn't do anything to the main color outputs. For that you still have to rely on the color trimmer inside the console. But what I don't understand is that I'm pretty sure the ultimate cart screen would also change wouldn't it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2022 at 4:44 PM, tomjones76 said:

Hello!

Revisiting my childhood by exploring my atari computers!

Recently I picked up modded (UAV) Atari XLs (600xl and 800xl).

I noticed that the 600xl’s bottom banner is green versus blue on the 800xl.

Also, the 600xl has “scanlines”. Just curious if there is a reason for this.  I think they are both neat, just trying to get some amateur / newbie understanding on the video output!

Btw, can’t wait to get a 1200xl to “complete” the line! 😉

094B131D-2207-4CF3-AC65-99516F150E22.jpeg

7AF8249B-9214-40D7-9B0D-69C9D4786021.jpeg

i have one for an adoption fee  PM me as i need to rustle up the photos i just sent myself

I don't think the colors should be different.  That is very odd.  Something is different for sure.. I would try the POT on the 800XL board just to check.  That screen looks a bit more blue over all.

Can anyone else with a UCart chime in as to what the color display is supposed to look like?  I dig the green. :)