IGNORED

Which systems do you own?

Ecernosoft

Which system(s) do you own? (Atari 8bit/5200)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which system(s) do you own? (By the way, if yours isn't mentioned here, just pick one that is COMPARIBLE with one on this list.

• 400 (4K)
    • 800 (8k)
    • 800 (48k)
    • 600xl/400 (16k) <-- these are identical right?
    • 5200 (4 port)
    • 5200 (2 port)
    • 800xl/65xe (64K) <-- these are identical right?
    • XEGS
    • 130xe (128K)
    • Something else (Please comment. If you see someone else with the name of your machine in the comment, like their comment instead of posting another please!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hello,

I can't accurately answer your poll because of the results.  But, this is what I've got running:

2 Atari 2600 systems.

1 Atari 400 used for testing.  Has a custom CPU/S-Video card installed.

1 Atari 400 with a 1056 Board supplying 1056k of RAM.

1 Atari 800 with stock 10k ROM and 48k of stock RAM.

1 Atari 800 with a RAMROM 2022 upgrade board and The Mega 4 4,128k RAM memory board.  (Also used for board testing.)

1 Atari 600XL upgraded for S-Video, OS v.4 w/Fast Chip, w/Altirra 1.58 BASIC.  (Also used for board testing.)  When used, this computer is sometimes connected to a reproduction 1090XL board with a 320k SRAM card.

1 Atari 800XL that is mostly stock with the exception of being modified for color S-Video.

1 Atari 130XE with S-Video improvements, OS v.4 w/Fast Chip, and soon to be upgraded to Altirra 1.58 BASIC.

I have a small pile of other 800XL's and 600XL's that I occasionally fix and sell.

Edited by reifsnyderb

The norm is a fully factory loaded 800, 800XL, or 130XE, but almost anyone bitd added memory, for the 800's would be axlon and mosaic style etc. for the XL's was normally 256k and the 130XE were bumped to 320K petersonanticfollow/compy

Today U1M is making it's way to every style in one form or another. I covers all of the old XL XE upgrades and adds to them.

Incognito for 800 covers most everything for the 800 and mode hops to do XL XE systems in the 800

Edited by _The Doctor__

3 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

I think your list is missing a lot of machines as quite a lot of people here will have upgraded memory etc.

Although I have 2 "stock" machines, I also have 2 that have modern upgrades with 1MB of memory

I don't include those because those are not stock systems. (actually I'm just going to make a new one, so please tell me all of the machines I lazily forgot.)

2 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

I don't include those because those are not stock systems. (actually I'm just going to make a new one, so please tell me all of the machines I lazily forgot.)

Look here, photo's of most stock machines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_8-bit_family#:~:text=The Atari 8-bit family,the last discontinued in 1992.

Ok, I am making a new one. It will have EVERY SINGLE MACHINE as it's own option, so It'll have a lot of them! Plus what you prefer and everything.

Please wait while I construct it....

@Ecernosoft  not wishing to criticise the poll itself but with all due respect I am not sure you'll get an very accurate picture because as mentioned it's missing lots and has some errors. :)

Also not that it matters but it's a mix of Atari 8-bits and Atari consoles, (missing 7800 and 2600 VCS btw). The Atari 8-bit computer lines (A8s - incuding the XEGS), are home computers based on the same chipset. There are modern mini footprint A8s as well that have come out in the last 15-20 years). The 2600 and 7800 use different chipsets from each other and the A8s. I think the 5200 is the closest to the A8 home computers. (Never owned the latter).

As mentioned by others there are many stock machines and ones that have both old school and modern upgrades.

Also not wishing to hijack your post but fyi I did a poll a while back regarding upgraded machines if you are interested in seeing that:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/331494-poll-upgraded-ram-a8s-stock-ram-a8s-and-a8-mouse-users/

polls are tricky on these subjects and I'm not saying mine was without flaws. ;)

- but as I say I am not sure this poll you started as it is will give you want you want but wish you luck with it. You will certainly get a lot of info from replies and it does appear you were after constructive criticism. :D

I own many Atari 8-bits, (800XL's, 600XL's, XE's (65XE's, 130XE's, an 800XE), 1200XL, XEG, 800); some upgraded, (U1MB, VBXE, UAV, UGV, Sophia 1 and 2), some stock, as well as an Atari Jaguar and Atari STFM.

EDIT: I see you are making another poll. :D Might I suggest before you post it take some time to familarise yourself with it all, including the moderm mini footprint A8s.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

I think your list is missing a lot of machines as quite a lot of people here will have upgraded memory etc.

Although I have 2 "stock" machines, I also have 2 that have modern upgrades with 1MB of memory

And even the 400 (4K) and 800 (8K) never happened as far as I know, by the time of actual release I think both came with 16K stock, though maybe the 400 had an 8K release, but no 4K only on the 400 or 800 with only 8K. That was the original plan, and why they are called 400/800, but by the time of actual release ram prices had dropped so those limited ram models never hit store shelves.

2 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

I just did. Good luck though, it has over 30 choices!

Oh, THAT is why there are two different threads...yet both still fall far too short in options and include options that never existed by the release date for the 400/800. Maybe you need to do a bit more research and learn more before starting polls like this with missing and non-existent stock-machine options?

3 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Oh, THAT is why there are two different threads...yet both still fall far too short in options and include options that never existed by the release date for the 400/800. Maybe you need to do a bit more research and learn more before starting polls like this with missing and non-existent stock-machine options?

I can't POSSIBLY cover every single configuration out there. This is me asking (NOT WHAT MODEL) what configuration you have. If your machine is COMPATIBLE with one of the configurations listed, please choose that one.

I'm doing this so I know what spec to target Conner&Anthony at.

Just now, Ecernosoft said:

I can't POSSIBLY cover every single configuration out there. This is me asking (NOT WHAT MODEL) what configuration you have. If your machine is COMPATIBLE with one of the configurations listed, please choose that one.

Minimum specs are probably an Atari 8 bit with 48k of RAM and 2 joystick ports.  Everything else is extra.

2 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Too late, I already voted the best I could, and my machines are compatible with ALL configurations. Most developer's these days make their programs check to see if there are expansions like extended ram, stereo upgrades, etc. if they want to support more than stock machines, and the programs are compatible with the majority of stock machines with added features for expanded machines, or if extended memory is needed, the program is released on expanded memory carts that even stock machines can use. Otherwise they just target 48k or 64K machines.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Too late, I already voted the best I could, and my machines are compatible with ALL configurations. Most developer's these days make their programs check to see if there are expansions like extended ram, stereo upgrades, etc. if they want to support more than stock machines, and the programs are compatible with the majority of stock machines with added features for expanded machines, or if extended memory is needed, the program is released on expanded memory carts that even stock machines can use. Otherwise they just target 48k or 64K machines.

True. 

If I ever make a C&A 2 I'll probably try to do more "cool" stuff and make it more "cool" for people who have higher level machines.

standard targets for other products typically are

the 800 48/52k range Usually the same product is for 800XL but the use a tight or tiny DOS etc and it runs on the 800 no problem

the 800XL 64k

the 130XE 128k

some of the best new stuff require extra ram and target 256 to 320K

some exceptional games need 1 Meg but most of them are normally available as AtariMax Or other MegaBank cartridges (as cartridge they then only need a standard 64k machine etc)

major DemoScene stuff 1 meg etc.

many of the programs get completed and get multi releases to work on all of them a bit later with certain flourishes added or removed so all of the machines are covered. So no extra memory mean less cartoon intermission stuff or one less song or etc etc.

some keep re optimizing and crunching finding better ways to do stuff and everything fits in the smaller footprints later on. Let the game be the best it can and worry about squishing and cutting the fat later on.

Edited by _The Doctor__

4 x400: 1 with Mosaic 64KB upgrade, originally came with only 8KB/ 3 stock.

4 x 800

3 x 1200XL: 1 modified to Rev.3 OS + Rev.C internal BASIC/2 stock

2 x 600XL: stock

3 x 800XL: 1 stock/1 with RAMROD XL(stock OS + OmnimonXL) + 256KB RamboXL upgrade/1 with CSS US Plus OS + 1MB Newell RAM upgrade

5 x 130xe: stock

1 x XEGS: stock