IGNORED

What machine do you have?

Ecernosoft

Which systems do you own? (My bad. Other one was missing a lot of options. =| )  

73 members have voted

1. 1. My machine(s) is(are)...

• 400 (4K)
    • 800 (8K)
    • 1200xl (64K)
    • 600xl (16K)
    • 800xl (64K)
    • 5200 4 port (ROM is origonal)
    • 5200 4 port (ROM is modified to work with 2600 adapter)
    • 5200 2 port (Rom is origonal)
    • 5200 2 port (Rom could be different/works with games like Mountain king)
    • Expanded machine (Over 128K. So 192K, 256K, 512K, 1024K)
    • Expanded machine + (over 1mb)
    • Has VBXE
    • Has Sound upgrade of some sort
    • XEGS (64K?)
    • I have 2 button controller
    • PAL system (If you have ANY PAL machines check this box)
    • 400 (16K)
    • 800XE (64K right?)
    • 65XE (64K) (No PBI/ECI)
    • 800 (48K)
    • 130XE (128K)
    • Something else (30 options not enough?!?!?!?!?)
    • 400 Expanded (400/600xl/1200xl over 16K)
    • 1400XL (64K RAM ?) (Prototype)
    • 1450XLD (Prototype)
    • 65XE (Has PBI/ECI)
    • 1600XL (?? K) (Prototype)
    • 1850XL (?? K) (Prototype)
    • 65XEM (No one should have this.)
    • 65XEP (64K????)
  2. 2. My machine is.... (check more than one if you have more than one type, but ONLY if you use both/all types)

• NTSC
    • PAL
    • SECAM
    • Something else (What else is there?!?!?!)
  3. 3. I prefer....

• Cartridge games
    • Disk games
    • Cassette games (Really?)
  4. 4. My (PREFERRED) machine outputs...

• RF
    • Composite
    • S-Video
    • Other video mode better than S-video
    • Upgraded to something

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

thanks . Constructive feedback

I have an Atari 800 which has been internally upgraded with the Incognito upgrade which gives you 1MB, (with it's own onboard U1MB) . So it would sit in the expanded machine catagory in your poll.

I also own several upgraded XL A8s with U1MB installed , and some with VBXE as well as the U1MB installed in them.  So any one of machines will cross over a few catagories in your poll.

U1MB upgrades can be installed in 800XL's, 600XL's, and all XE's, the XEGs plus also the modern micro footprint A8s.

There are also plugin ram boards for XLs and the 400/800

You may find lots of forum members will be choosing the "something else" option. Won't tell you much if this is the case.

You are also still missing the Atari 7800 and 2600 consoles. Both were the most popular Atari VCS consoles of the 80's.:)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

Still doens't have 1088xel, 1088xld, Nucc..  I have a 48k 400 with UAV, 800xl with 1mb and sophia, PAL 1088xel(built in fujinet, vbxe, cf hard drive, sio2pc), 1088xld with midi and cf hard drive.  I also prefer none of your file types.. since I don't have a disc drive or cassette and rarely use cartridges. Mostly fujinet, sd cards, cf cards, sdrive nux etc.

Oh and all but the 400 are stereo. 

Edited by chevymad
  • Like 1

@patjomki @chevymad this is kinda why I suggested to the OP in the original thread to take their time in familarising themselves with everything before quickly getting another poll which will inevitably be missing a lot. These kind of polls are very tricky as Atari 8 bits and VCS's have been around for 40+ years. So many models, variations, upgraded machines, etc etc.

I'd have a separate catagory for a 600XL upgraded to 64K personally since most stock 16k 600XL machines are upgraded because it's a cheap and relatively easy and obvious upgrade to do. It does bring the 600XL in line with the 800XL but i still think it warrants it's own catagory. Same as an 800 upgraded to Incognito does IMHO.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

You may find lots of forum members will be choosing the "something else" option. Won't tell you much if this is the case.

Have to agree there, with so many variants missing from this poll, not sure what he's going to get out of it 😕

• Like 3

I have a custom 800 with Incognito, Sophia 2, Turbo Freezer (custom PBI port) and lots more upgrades, 3x1200XL, one custom and heavily upgraded with 512K Syscheck 2.0 (custom PBI port)  S-video upgrade and much more, 800XL with 512K Syscheck 2.0 and S-video and lots more upgrades. Custom 800 and custom 1200XL are converted to PAL, the rest are NTSC. 

I also agree with responses above, too limited in choices to cover all I have upgraded on 800, 1200XL and 800XL.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I've submited my machines to the poll :)

- 1 NTSC 800xl with S-Video, Stereo POKEY and 256k RAM upgrade, also having a switch for OMNIROM, but I never really used that one

- 1 PAL 800xl, stock, but I have a Stereo POKEY upgrade ready to install when I get a spare POKEY chip sometime in the future

- 1 NTSC 800, with all expansion slots filled, for the extra 48k of RAM, unfortunately the keyboard doesn't work properly for some reason

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

thanks . Constructive feedback

I have an Atari 800 which has been internally upgraded with the Incognito upgrade which gives you 1MB, (with it's own onboard U1MB) . So it would sit in the expanded machine catagory in your poll.

I also own several upgraded XL A8s with U1MB installed , and some with VBXE as well as the U1MB installed in them.  So any one of machines will cross over a few catagories in your poll.

U1MB upgrades can be installed in 800XL's, 600XL's, and all XE's, the XEGs plus also the modern micro footprint A8s.

There are also plugin ram boards for XLs and the 400/800

You are also still missing the Atari 7800 and 2600 consoles. Both were the most popular Atari VCS consoles of the 80's.:)

I don't count the 2600/7800 here since I'm using this to see what machine I'm going to target C&A for which is 5200/8bit.

4 hours ago, chevymad said:

Still doens't have 1088xel, 1088xld, Nucc..  I have a 48k 400 with UAV, 800xl with 1mb and sophia, PAL 1088xel(built in fujinet, vbxe, cf hard drive, sio2pc), 1088xld with midi and cf hard drive.  I also prefer none of your file types.. since I don't have a disc drive or cassette and rarely use cartridges. Mostly fujinet, sd cards, cf cards, sdrive nux etc.

Oh and all but the 400 are stereo. 

I...... didn't know about those.

Also, those aren't origonal machines if I'm not wrong. Those would fall under the EXPANDED + category.

This POLL is mostly asking what OS more of you have and the amount of RAM most of you have. I wanted to make sure that by making a 32K game that that satisfied most of you and not a ton of you had the capacity for more or didn't have the capacity for what I offered.

Edited by Ecernosoft

3 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I have a custom 800 with Incognito, Sophia 2, Turbo Freezer (custom PBI port) and lots more upgrades, 3x1200XL, one custom and heavily upgraded with 512K Syscheck 2.0 (custom PBI port)  S-video upgrade and much more, 800XL with 512K Syscheck 2.0 and S-video and lots more upgrades. Custom 800 and custom 1200XL are converted to PAL, the rest are NTSC. 

I also agree with responses above, too limited in choices to cover all I have upgraded on 800, 1200XL and 800XL.

Then choose Expanded machine.

I can't possibly cover every. single. machine.

I'm doing this so I know what machine/configuration to target Conner&Anthony at.

Edited by Ecernosoft
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

I...... didn't know about those.

Also, those aren't origonal machines if I'm not wrong. Those would fall under the EXPANDED + category.

This POLL is mostly asking what OS more of you have and the amount of RAM most of you have. I wanted to make sure that by making a 32K game that that satisfied most of you and not a ton of you had the capacity for more or didn't have the capacity for what I offered.

You only need 32k?  No problem.  Even my Atari 400, with 1,056k of RAM, will be happy.   🙂

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ecernosoft said:

I'm doing this so I know what machine/configuration to target Conner&Anthony at.

Well, 48K or 64K would cover the vast majority of users, including 400 and 600XL's these days. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

@patjomki @chevymad this is kinda why I suggested to the OP in the original thread to take their time in familarising themselves with everything before quickly getting another poll which will inevitably be missing a lot. These kind of polls are very tricky as Atari 8 bits and VCS's have been around for 40+ years. So many models, variations, upgraded machines, etc etc.

I'd have a separate catagory for a 600XL upgraded to 64K personally since most stock 16k 600XL machines are upgraded because it's a cheap and relatively easy and obvious upgrade to do. It does bring the 600XL in line with the 800XL but i still think it warrants it's own catagory. Same as an 800 upgraded to Incognito does IMHO.

sorry....

I went to quickly. I was excited.

Well, 48K or 64K would cover the vast majority of users, including 400 and 600XL's these days. 

True. You have a point.

I'm not saying this is done (Oh no. C&A2 is for the high end machines if it ever comes out) but I think I'm good for C&A1. Please still post your model/preferred machine if you haven't already.

(That's to everyone else)

3 hours ago, chevymad said:

There are alot of U1MB machines out there. So almost any OS including GOS are possible and 1mb of ram is available. For more limited machines Atarimax cartridges are popular that supply banked memory. Same with AVG and Side3 carts. 

So low end is 48K, Medium end is 128K, 192K, 256K, and 512K, and high end is 1088K. Good to know.

Just now, Ecernosoft said:

So low end is 48K, Medium end is 128K, 192K, 256K, and 512K, and high end is 1088K. Good to know.

Well, there is now the capability to have a 4MB card in an Atari 800.  So, I'd make that the extreme end.   🙂

Edited by reifsnyderb

2 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

It would have been a lot simpler and not needed some 30 choices to vote on poll, and all these people, including me, responding with all the short comings of your polls, if you had simply stated how much ram you would like your program(s) to be targeted at, and if that would cover the majority of machines. If that was to be 32K for the first game in your series, then you would have gotten more straight forward responses that 32K would indeed cover the vast majority of 8-bit Atari's leaving very few behind. Also true if 48K was to be the target ram amount. But what's done is done, water under the bridge.

It would have been a lot simpler and not needed some 30 choices to vote on poll, and all these people, including me, responding with all the short comings of your polls, if you had simply stated how much ram you would like your program(s) to be targeted at, and if that would cover the majority of machines. If that was to be 32K for the first game in your series, then you would have gotten more straight forward responses that 32K would indeed cover the vast majority of 8-bit Atari's leaving very few behind. Also true if 48K was to be the target ram amount. But what's done is done, water under the bridge.

yeah..... I wasn't really thinking.

Also, it's not just the RAM. Different OS = different memory locations for SIO routines. And different computer = possibly different OS.

Edited by Ecernosoft

1 minute ago, Ecernosoft said:

yeah..... I wasn't really thinking.

Also, it's not just the RAM. Different OS = different memory locations for SIO routines. And different computer = possibly different OS.

As far as stock OS's of the various machines from the 400/800 through the last XE computers, basically two OS's, the later computer OS's simply added stuff like a built-in self test and support for International character support, nothing that would effect your program. Now there are some differences to the OS of the 400/800 and XL/XE lines, but all that boils down to incompatibility with a very few 400/800 games on the XL/XE OS's because those programmers used "illegal" instruction shortcuts on some 400/800 games that broke them on XL/XE machines. No "illegal" instruction shortcuts means no incompatibility issues. Almost all other hacked or 3rd party OS's were compatible with the 400/800 if made in that era, or XL/XE if made in their era. And stick to the OS rules, and 99% of OS's are compatible. Some 3rd party or hacked OS's even make sure they are 100% compatible with both, even if using "illegal" instruction code.

• Like 1

As far as stock OS's of the various machines from the 400/800 through the last XE computers, basically two OS's, the later computer OS's simply added stuff like a built-in self test and support for International character support, nothing that would effect your program. Now there are some differences to the OS of the 400/800 and XL/XE lines, but all that boils down to incompatibility with a very few 400/800 games on the XL/XE OS's because those programmers used "illegal" instruction shortcuts on some 400/800 games that broke them on XL/XE machines. No "illegal" instruction shortcuts means no incompatibility issues. Almost all other hacked or 3rd party OS's were compatible with the 400/800 if made in that era, or XL/XE if made in their era. And stick to the OS rules, and 99% of OS's are compatible. Some 3rd party or hacked OS's even make sure they are 100% compatible with both, even if using "illegal" instruction code.

Wait, do you mean Illegal 6502 opcodes? Because I use LAX everywhere in my programs to save memory when I need to store consecutive things or reload values.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Wait, do you mean Illegal 6502 opcodes? Because I use LAX everywhere in my programs to save memory when I need to store consecutive things or reload values.

I don't know, but I'm not a programmer, I'm a electronics hardware guy, so I probably called it the wrong thing, since I'm not familiar with "opcodes" except vaguely remembering that word now that you mention it. But I'm sure a programmer will respond and verify that for you. Obviously your best bet is to study the legal opcodes on 400/800 and XL/XE OS's. Of course I may be stating that wrong too, since the 6502 was used in many machines with totally different OS's. I don't know what LAX means.

Edited by Gunstar