IGNORED

ATARI 600XL LOOKING TO UPGRADE

Eksuhluhnt

On 7/15/2022 at 6:47 AM, Beeblebrox said:

Go and log interest on the following thread, then wait till 2024 as the global chip shortage is dictating the next batch runs it's creator Simius can build. 2024 is the predicted date when he'll be able to get his hands on the chips. There is a massive preorder list.

🙁

Edited by Vyvyan B.

Not sure if the status has changed much but yeah, still believe that the global chip shortage will be delaying Sophia 2 batch runs for a good year. Then on top of that there is a massive waiting list.

I was lucky enough to find a second hand Sophia 2 end of last year. 

Just to say there are alternatives which will give great outputs including:

UGV

UAV

VBXE

I have VBXE installed in an XE and also have a UGV unit coming destined for another XE (with U1MB). 

9 minutes ago, Vyvyan B. said:

Do any of those other options give you VGA out? And most everything seems to be equally unobtanium these days anyway.

Tied up at the mo but check out UGV and see:

https://ataribits.weebly.com/ugv.html

This is Mytek's creation. 

VBXE rgb can be wired up to Scart and rgb monitor connectors

See the files tab here:

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=53

Uav here:https://atariprojects.org/2021/01/02/purchase-and-install-an-ultimate-atari-video-uav-for-better-composite-video-from-an-800xl-1-3-hours/

Edited by Beeblebrox

Another way to get VGA is use a decent upscaler. I hooked up to a VGA on a dell ultrasharp 2007fwp (or something like that) monitor in 2021 when I got back into the Atari scene. I used din to S-video to  retroscaller 2 upscaler to an hdmi to VGA adapter. At the time it was the only way I could get my setup to work. If I was using an NTSC A8 machine at the time I probably would have been able to hook S-video directly up to said monitor. Sadly I was using PAL so the monitor wouldn't pick up on the signal on S-video or composite in connections. 

I've since got my LG lcd digital tv/monitor which is great. Use din to S-video or din13 to scart rgb or DVI from my various stock, VBXE or Sophia enabled A8's. :)

Retroscaller 2 is a cheap but pretty good alternative to a retrotink. 

image.png.ba25597e4217d6a32bdc5dfd37c0b1b6.png

Edited by Beeblebrox

22 hours ago, Vyvyan B. said:

I use a 20" Trinitron (s-video) for my 800 and that's pretty good. But I'd like to mod one of my 800xl's with the U1MB and proper VGA monitor without an upscaler. Maybe an internal floppy too if I can fit it all in there.

Nice

BTW good news from Simius re Sophia 2:

On 1/3/2023 at 8:17 PM, Eksuhluhnt said:

For now I believe I'll just upgrade the RAM but unsure what to buy?

In addition to the upgrades mentioned previously, you may also want to take a look at the 64k SRAM Module for XL/XE computers (v3).  Some minor soldering is required, but it's no more or less difficult than replacing the DRAM ICs.

FWIW, you will need that machine to have 64K of base RAM if you ever plan on adding certain other upgrades, particularly those that use the PBI.  Regardless of the upgrade you choose, it's pretty much necessary for compatibility with both those upgrades and most A8 software.

14 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

In addition to the upgrades mentioned previously, you may also want to take a look at the 64k SRAM Module for XL/XE computers (v3).  Some minor soldering is required, but it's no more or less difficult than replacing the DRAM ICs.

FWIW, you will need that machine to have 64K of base RAM if you ever plan on adding certain other upgrades, particularly those that use the PBI.  Regardless of the upgrade you choose, it's pretty much necessary for compatibility with both those upgrades and most A8 software.

Though maybe not as cheap as changing a couple of old DRAM chips, this is a much better option, long-term, as it replaces several other devices in the memory circuit that prone to failure.