IGNORED

Jordan vs. Bird: One on One? Never released on the 8-bit computer, correct?

Justin Payne

I just noticed that Wikipedia claims that this game was released for the 8-bit computer line. All I remember is the Bird/Johnson version and after searching around the only Atari I found this appear on is the 7800, which is the version I think Wikipedia meant to say. I just wanted to dot my eyes.

BTW: I think it's kinda funny that the Bird/Johnson one was released on cartridge in 1987. If they had just waited a year, the Bird/Jordan version might have been available for them to release instead. 

So, just to clarify, EA released One on One: Dr. J vs. Larry Bird for the Apple ][ in 1983 and then proceeded to make it for other systems, including the Atari 8-bit computer on disk and cassette. In 1987, Atari put it on a cart for the XEGS.

One on One - Dr. J vs. Larry Bird Coverart.png

A year later, they released Jordan vs. Bird: One on One with updated graphics and some game extras.

Jordan vs Bird - One on One Coverart.png

This is the one I wondered if they ever released for the 8-bit since it says on Wikipedia it exists but...you know....Wikipedia ain't always correct and although I do remember this game being released back in the day, I never remember seeing it for the Atari, especially since the Atari was all but dead to developers by that time. I mean, not even the ST or Amiga seems to have got a version so I doubt very much that the Atari would get one.

@Mathy The one you pointed me to just says "One on One" but the date says 1983, not 1988, so that one is defiantly the Dr. J/Bird one and the same one that's on Atarimania.

• Like 2

@vespertillio No worries. I played the original a lot with my friends. Like a lot of games back then, it's basically a direct port of the Apple version but we weren't too picky back then even though I know the Atari one that used the systems capabilities would have been much better looking. Even the C64 version looks the same. EA put out some of the best games back then. It's a shame they didn't put someone on these ports that could have touched them up a bit more those those particular systems. 

@Goochman According to Wikipedia, "The sequel, Jordan vs Bird, was released in 1988 with improved graphics, Michael Jordan taking the Doctor's place, a slam dunk contest with Jordan, and a three-point shootout with Bird". Since the Dr. J vs Bird appears to be just ports of the Apple ][ from 5 years earlier, "better graphics" isn't very surprising. 😄 I do think it would be cool to see what kind of graphic hack one could do to the game seeing there is defiantly capability for improvement 

9 hours ago, oky2000 said:

One of the early C64 games I had, didn't think much of it back in 84 when I had just got a C64 myself as far as the original goes. Never played the later game though.

It was a popular title with my mostly non-gaming friends,  they'd come to my house just to play it.     

I personally thought it was sluggish and not that great, but trying to shatter the backboard was fun!

21 minutes ago, Justin Payne said:

Funny, but they gave Jorden white hair.

Michael_Jordan_vs_Larry_Bird_-_One_On_One.png.c811b209f2f7725cbbf336ea96d68f99.png

C64 sprite(s) 3colours so there wasn't a 4th one available (common on the two pink and brown so own colour on each is white and yellow ;) :grin:.

P.s.- Could be Jordan black instead the white then the ball be red like most if not all of the basket balls (think the ball is a tottaly not used elsewhere sprite...

Edited by José Pereira

15 minutes ago, José Pereira said:

Michael_Jordan_vs_Larry_Bird_-_One_On_One.png.c811b209f2f7725cbbf336ea96d68f99.png

C64 sprite(s) 3colours so there wasn't a 4th one available (common on the two pink and brown so own colour on each is white and yellow ;) :grin:.

P.s.- Could be Jordan black instead the white then the ball be red like most if not all of the basket balls (think the ball is a tottaly not used elsewhere sprite...

Yeah. If they gave him Yellow hair, they'd have to rename it, Rodman vs Bird. 😄

@Atari8guyOh, I think it's great. I just wish they had Atarified it a bit. I mean, Loadrunner and Choplifter got the same treatment on the 8bit computers while the 7800 got the upgrade to Choplifter. At the time, I was amazed at how good Choplifter looked and I still have a warm spot for all of the Apple ][ games I played. Still, when you had the opportunity to improve the look of the game and, instead, just do a direct port, it's a missed opportunity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goochman said:

The dunk stage looks really good on the C64 version.  Wonder if our ole 8bit could pull that off with the same size sprites

Well, you'd probably use P/M's for the players. Those look 16 pixels wide so you'd need two of them per character. The problem there is in that case you'd only have one color (no overlap) unless you duplicated the P/M during a horizonal blank. So, the left size of character one using two P/M's giving 3 colors and then immediately change the position of those two P/M's to the right side of character one. That seems like how it would be done but that might make it challenging if you wanted to do HozBlks to also change the background colors to make it more colorful.
I'm sure someone with more experience with this sort of thing has a better idea. 

5 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

@oky2000 If you still have that C64, you're in luck because that WAS one of the system J vs B was made for. Funny, but they gave Jorden white hair. 

Thanks for the heads up, will give it a go. Have about 40+ C64 compatible machines in various states of functionality lol (5 SX-64s for a start and 3 C128D units)

International Basketbell was my fav' back then, I used to play for the school team as I was 6ft1 when I was 15....not a great basketball player mind lol

• Haha 1