IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2023 (Season 16)

carlsson

Here's the summary for Week 36, running from September 4 - 10. We logged 4596 minutes of eligible play, playing 100 games on a total of 19 systems.

Top 10:

1. Pokemon (NES/Famicom) - 300 min.
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 288 min. (#3)
3. Pokemon Gold (Game Boy Color) - 236 min. (#1)
4. Blocks (Atari 2600) - 235 min.
5. Might and Magic (Commodore 64) - 210 min. (#5)
6. Ape Escape (PlayStation) - 209 min.
7. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 205 min.
8. Rad Racer (NES/Famicom) - 196 min.
9. Asteroids (Atari 2600) - 152 min.
10. Die Hard (NES/Famicom) - 121 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 288 min. (PN#1)
2. Blocks (Atari 2600) - 235 min.
3. Might and Magic (Commodore 64) - 210 min. (PN#3)
4. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 205 min.
5. Asteroids (Atari 2600) - 152 min.
6. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 90 min. (PN#4)
7. Suicide Mission (Atari 2600) - 56 min. (PN#7)
8. Dodge 'Em (a.k.a. Dodger Cars) (Atari 2600) - 50 min.
8. Pole Position (Atari 2600) - 50 min.
8. Snoopy and the Red Baron (Atari 2600) - 50 min.
8. Star Wars: The Arcade Game (Atari 2600) - 50 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (25 games) - 1600 min. (#2)
2. NES/Famicom (17 games) - 1219 min. (#5)
3. Game Boy Color (5 games) - 396 min. (#1)
4. PlayStation (2 games) - 259 min. (#9)
5. Commodore 64 (1 game) - 210 min. (#3)
6. Arcade (12 games) - 123 min. (#6)
7. Sega Saturn (1 game) - 111 min.
8. Genesis (1 game) - 95 min. (#7)
9. Game Gear (4 games) - 90 min.
10. SNES (4 games) - 80 min. (#4)

While we've seen plenty of Pokemon in the tracker before, this seems like the first time it was played on NES, and what better way is it to start that at the top? Solar Fox is only 12 minutes behind, but has to settle for overall #2 and pre-NES #1. Thanks to some catching up and overall massive amount of Atari 2600 playing (perhaps it is due to the same week as Atari bought AtariAge?), the system sails back into first place on the systems list.

No changes to the 1000, 5000, 10000 Minute Clubs. However the totals at the end of my Excel sheet reminded me of something:

image.png.3116478471cd013e896fb471269c48e5.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, Atarian7 said:

On Solar Fox, I made it to Rack 255 last night, but I lost on that rack.  I had to risk a life to get "skip a rack" or the game was over anyway.

Same thing happened to me Saturday night. I was in a groove. Getting close to rack 255. Max sevrn lives left. I thought I would skip rack 256 twice for the first time. Had good music on and college football in the background. Get to 255, a very easy rack and boom, I lost a life. Game over. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

SNES-

Warriors Legend of the Blue Dragon- 80min I found you could change controller layout, and did much better. It'll get a run someday.

Lufia- 2hrs 25min First 20min or so, is actually just playing through a flashback, that eventually became the 2nd game, which became all the later ones too, lol. 

Edited by zylon
  • Like 6

Test played few more last night :)

SNES-

Emerald Dragon- 30min

Kinda fun cross of Breath Of Fire, and Secret of Mana. The AI controlling all the other party members still sucks, but I really can't say I'd do better, lol

Hero Chronicle- Project Olympus- 40min

This one is turn based RPG featuring all older anime heroes, like Ultraman, and first SD Gundam pilot, etc. It's also very funny, while still engaging.

Ranma 1/2- Treasure of the Red Cat Gang- 55min

Turn based, and heavily based on the anime series, but gameplay offers no surprises. However, if a fan of the show, it's hillarious, and lightyears better than the two fighting games under same license. Only ding, is while spells are translated into English letters, the names give no clue as to what they do. Sailor Moon-Another Story, was much better done, in this dept, and a deeper game.

I'm going to keep a copy of these 3. A friend of mine imports batches of these repro/translation games for resale, and has me test one from each lot of 10. I've found some great epics, some stinkers, and some truly different ideas. I'm more after ones that bring something different, while not being entirely new, but grab me, while still fun. For instance, Warriors-Legend of Blue Dragon, is a hard style for me, but the little monster companion made the difference, hence my extra efforts. I actually want to help her, and felt kinda bad, in my failing to do so. I might never finish it, but I'd regret walking away. That's, good game writing there. :)

My current serious play, is going to be the 1st Lufia on SNES. I'm hoping I finally got one that the major glitches, are fixed, on my recent edition multicart. There's a glitch avoidance guide for this game, but I'm playing without it.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 6

Umm.. did I play anything this past week? I tested a few systems, might as well count those to not draw a blank.

Atari 2600:
Atlantis - 2 min.

Atari 8-bit:

Jungle Boy - 1 min.

(actually part of the HSC, but I tested it on my XEGS which I received after have being in repair for 4.5 years)

Genesis/Mega Drive:

Barbie Super Model - 1 min.

Sonic the Hedgehog - 5 min.

Super Hang-On - 1 min.

NES/Famicom:

Galaxian - 2 min.

Section Z - 1 min.

Sega Master System:

R-Type - 1 min.

Yeah, I think that sums up my week in gaming somewhat well.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 6

This week I played:

Ape Escape for Playstation - 256 minutes

Pokemon Gold Version for Game Boy Color - 1,255 minutes

Progress:

Ape Escape - I finished the game by defeating the final boss only to find out to get the best ending I would have to catch 100% of the monkeys in every level. Due to the sloppy controls and design of this game, for now I don't think I'm interested.

Pokemon Gold - I have all the Pokemon that you can get in Gold version alone even through trading with another Gold version. I also caught extras of the Pokemon unavailable in Silver version so I can trade them whenever I play through and complete Silver. I also defeated the Pokemon Master Red with Pokemon only levels 58-64. I did have to use some revives and max potions to defeat his level 70-80 something Pokemon. With that done, I am done with thhis game for a while. Next time I play a Gen 2 Pokemon game it will be Silver.

• Like 7

My times for the week:

Intellivision:

AD&D: Cloudy Mountain - 126 min.

B-17 Bomber - 10 min.

Frog Bog - 13 min.

Skiing - 12 min.

Stampede - 3 min.

Utopia - 25 min.

Beat Cloudy Mountain on Hero difficulty for the third or fourth time. Still a fun game, if frustrating at times when an arrow passes right through a foe. Then again, wouldn't a real-life archer sometimes miss?

• Like 8

Week of 9/11/23 - 9/17/23

Atari 2600

Ladybug - 20

Pressure Cooker - 70

Commodore 64

Might and Magic - 385

NES

Super Mario Bros. - 30

Total time = 505 minutes

I knew it was a bad idea to get started, but I am now hopelessly addicted to playing Might & Magic. Despite all the time I've put into it my characters are only levels 6-7 and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of everything there is to do and explore.

• Like 6

Here's the summary for Week 37, running from September 11 - 17. We logged 4727 minutes of eligible play, playing 41 games on a total of 11 systems.

Top 10:

1. Pokemon Gold (Game Boy Color) - 1255 min. (#3)
2. Dungeons & Doomknights (NES/Famicom) - 750 min.
3. Might and Magic (Commodore 64) - 385 min. (#5)
4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 379 min. (#2)
5. Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals (SNES) - 315 min.
6. Spy Hunter (NES/Famicom) - 260 min.
7. Ape Escape (PlayStation) - 256 min. (#6)
8. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 174 min.
9. AD&D: Cloudy Mountain (Intellivision) - 126 min.
10. Pokemon (NES/Famicom) - 80 min. (#1)
10. Warriors: Legend of the Blue Dragon (SNES) - 80 min.

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Might and Magic (Commodore 64) - 385 min. (PN#3)
2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 379 min. (PN#1)
3. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) - 174 min. (PN#6)
4. AD&D: Cloudy Mountain (Intellivision) - 126 min.
5. Pressure Cooker (Atari 2600) - 75 min.
6. LadyBug (Atari 2600) - 35 min.
7. Centipede (Atari 2600) - 30 min.
8. Utopia (Intellivision) - 25 min.
9. Q*Bert (Arcade) - 22 min.
10. Xevious (Arcade) - 15 min.

Top 10 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (12 games) - 1326 min. (#2)
2. Game Boy Color (2 games) - 1285 min. (#3)
3. Atari 2600 (6 games) - 695 min. (#1)
4. SNES (6 games) - 545 min. (#10)
5. Commodore 64 (1 game) - 385 min. (#5)
6. PlayStation (1 game) - 256 min. (#4)
7. Intellivision (6 games) - 189 min.
8. Arcade (2 games) - 37 min. (#6)
9. Genesis (3 games) - 7 min. (#8)
10. Sega Master System (1 game) - 1 min.
10. Atari 8-bit (1 game) - 1 min.

Pokemon Gold gets the gold medal this week, ahead of the 2022 Zeldavania type game Dungeons & Doomknights (which reminds me of Bedknobs & Broomsticks). Might & Magic in overall #3 and pre-NES #1 is just a few minutes ahead of Solar Fox. The systems list features a battle for the title between NES and Game Boy Color, while at the bottom two systems with only one minute each enter the most played systems.

No changes to the 1000, 5000, 10000 Minute Clubs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday's (09/21) totals:

N64

1) Aerogauge - 15 minutes

2) Excitebike 64 - 20 minutes

* Yes, same times as yesterday, I know.  But, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong regarding the speed boost trick in Aerogauge and gave it another go.  Not a bad title, but there a lot of other racers better than it imo.  Excitebike 64 is a genuinely fun racer that is easy to play, but yet difficult to master.  Good stuff.

• Like 4

In between working overtime, recovering from my cough, looking for used cars and arranging a retro gaming event with over 1000 visitors, including setting up 20 systems for playing games, I had no time this week to actually settle down even for one minute of meaningful gaming. Better luck next week.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Here are my times for this week (18th through 24th of January, 2023 on classic systems:

Amiga:

Thundercats - 15 min.

SNES:

Bust-A-Move - 30 min.

This week I tested the A590 hard disk for the Amiga 500 I have which sadly doesn't work. But I played one more game on it which I liked to play back in the day, Thundercats.

Then there I tried some bubble shooter games, ending up on the SNES version of "Bust-a-move" which is much like the arcade version, but not identical.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
moved browser-based section to modern tracker
  • Like 5