IGNORED

More atr trouble

stushug

I downloaded the atr files for Infocom Spellbreaker. There is a side "a" and a side "b". Each file is 90k. I tried to copy them to floppies, one at a time and each time the process is finished, the floppy shows nothing in Mydos 5.43.

This is the process I  use.  I format the disk, it shows 708 free sectors. After using Duplicate Disk, Mydos shows 707 free sectors. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm doing this with RespeQt BTW.

If I load side A onto disk 1 in RespeQt, the game will start normally and ask for side B. I then load side B into slot 1 in RespeQt and hit return. The game will run normally that way, so I assume that the actual atr files are ok, they're just not copying to the floppies?

• Like 1

I think that as those ATR are not DOS disks, you should use any disk copier other than a DOS. I guess that DOSes use VTOC table to copy just the used sectors, but those disks are marked as "empty", meaning that nothing needs to be copied to the flopies other than the empty VTOC and directory.

1 hour ago, vitoco said:

I think that as those ATR are not DOS disks, you should use any disk copier other than a DOS. I guess that DOSes use VTOC table to copy just the used sectors, but those disks are marked as "empty", meaning that nothing needs to be copied to the flopies other than the empty VTOC and directory.

What disk copier do you recommend?

BTW, I just added the Happy upgrade to my 1050. Would that help?

Edited by stushug

8 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The disk has to be formatted by another drive on side b first before you can sector copy or write to the second side when using and XF551 but that question and answer has been done a zillion times already.

Yes. I also had 2 XF551's that didn't want to write either to the B-side. I am not even sure (can not remember) whether it wanted to read B-sides. 

I purchased special floppy disks with 2 index holes for that XF551. Then it worked perfectly. I still regret that I did not buy more of those floppy disks.

you can easily punch the index holes in the jacket as well... just make sure not to punch the disk media itself,

they sold nibble notchers for write protect notch and index hole punchers to make flippy disks

Edited by _The Doctor__

4 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

you can easily punch the index holes in the jacket as well... just make sure not to punch the disk media itself,

they sold nibble notchers for write protect notch and index hole punchers to make flippy disks

I cut a hole on the other side of the jacket, and wha-la! I now have side A & B on the same disk. You guys are awesome.

• Like 2