IGNORED

UK source for new Internal speaker unit for Atari 800 needed

Beeblebrox

I am in the market for an internal speaker for my 800 which is missing. I know it's more or less only used for keyclicks and a few rudametary sounds, but I'd like to get one nonetheless. :)

Anyone know the spec and also a modern (cheap) UK source for one?

So a modern replacement for this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133063072388

Picture 1 of 1

I can make up a connector but just need to know the tech spec, dimensions, etc so I can either search for a replacement, go with a speaker supplier in the UK anyone may recommend, etc.

I think it's likely I'll be able to get something cheap from Ebay or Amazon once I know what to search for. 

Had a quick look on AA and Googled but without a spec I'm just guessing. I can by a NoS one from the States on Ebnay but obviously not worth it after shipping/fees.

thanks in advance  :)

Edited by Beeblebrox

4 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

As long as it will fit in the case it will do nicely, don't forget the 100 Ohm resistors in series on each terminal

thanks - it's about 6mm bigger in diameter so shouild be fine. Thanks for the resistor tip. 

I'll put a bid on the listing.

Now I need to source the 2 pin connector. Any chance you happen to know what it is called? 

I can rig something up no problems but if they are dirt cheap I may as well source them.

Thanks

So I managed to secure tbe following little speakers as well:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255421668280

5 x 64 Ohm Miniature Mylar Cone 0.25W Speaker 50mm x 16mm

image.thumb.png.71df2aa3dd855be51f3ee39325e2c36e.png

And I figured I could use one of these for making a connector :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384307473995

image.thumb.png.fd447bdea14358825dd98deef8171a30.png

It is likely the back of the speaker is too large in diameter to sit in the original recess in the 800's casing so I'll probably just stick it to the inside of the case with a sticky fixer pad. 

On 1/13/2023 at 10:29 AM, Beeblebrox said:

I am in the market for an internal speaker for my 800 which is missing. I know it's more or less only used for keyclicks and a few rudametary sounds, but I'd like to get one nonetheless. :)

Anyone know the spec and also a modern (cheap) UK source for one?

So a modern replacement for this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133063072388

Picture 1 of 1

I can make up a connector but just need to know the tech spec, dimensions, etc so I can either search for a replacement, go with a speaker supplier in the UK anyone may recommend, etc.

I think it's likely I'll be able to get something cheap from Ebay or Amazon once I know what to search for. 

Had a quick look on AA and Googled but without a spec I'm just guessing. I can by a NoS one from the States on Ebnay but obviously not worth it after shipping/fees.

thanks in advance  :)

Hi Beeblebrox,

I have a couple of original speakers here (see picture attached)😉.

The have round about 60 up to 62 Ohms, (see pictures attached too).

I can offer you one, but unfortunately I´m located in germany, not sure what you have to pay für tax and additional costs... 

Cheers,

andY

800-400 speaker.JPEG

800 400 speaker1673728934053.JPEG

60 ohm.JPEG

speaker 61.JPEG

Edited by andymanone
Typo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, andymanone said:

Hi Beeblebrox,

I have a couple of original speakers here (see picture attached)😉.

The have round about 60 up to 62 Ohms, (see pictures attached too).

I can offer you one, but unfortunately I´m loccatet in germany, not sure what you have to pay für tax and addition costs... 

Cheers,

andY

800-400 speaker.JPEG

800 400 speaker1673728934053.JPEG

60 ohm.JPEG

speaker 61.JPEG

Ah many thanks

I'll see when the ones I've ordered arrive whether they will do but the offer is much appreciated. :)

Little update and question. The 5x pack of speakers arrived but the seem to have strong magnets on the back. I am a little reluctant to use them inside my 800. Any idea if I am being over cautious? I know magnetic fields are no good for magntic media obviously. What about ICs and also signal interference?

13 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Little update and question. The 5x pack of speakers arrived but the seem to have strong magnets on the back. I am a little reluctant to use them inside my 800. Any idea if I am being over cautious? I know magnetic fields are no good for magntic media obviously. What about ICs and also signal interference?

Nothing inside the machine will be affected.  Might not be the best idea to sit the 800 directly on top of a TV / monitor, but I don't see that as being an issue.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update. 

I assembled the speaker and it works well. Went with the 63mm 64ohm in the end. 

100omh resistors on each wire and the small automotive plastic electrics connector is a perfect fit. 

image.thumb.png.9fde79f8e1433a9fdc0fee8bd09214b2.png

image.png.db1bc9823054d3bdd3584151a29a3575.png

Screenshot_20230129_181126.jpg

Because of the the slightly larger diameter speaker and bigger profile the lower casing prongs won't alow the casing to close without piercing the speaker. So I taped the speaker to the upper casing just below the vents. All good. 

Edited by Beeblebrox