IGNORED

Anyone see this before in an 800? A spare piece of plastic affixed inside the upper casing.

Beeblebrox

Just noticed this affixed to the upper casing inside my 800.

It appears to be almost a spare plastic part and doesn't cover anything like a crack or hole. It is all internal.

Unless this was spacer of some sort added at factory or by a previous owner at some stage during it's life, I am wondering if Atari included this as a spare piece of plastic for users to patch up the casing?

It's interesting also as it shows the original case colour and hasn't yellowed or dulled.

Any ideas?

The plastic is affixed to the inside on one side very neatly and is around 20.5 x 30.5mm in size and 3mm in thickness:

image.thumb.png.c8bbff1a495b8b7bd1f73950f269a6d6.png   image.thumb.png.a3710c7ffa85e334a4567a20141e4128.png  

54 minutes ago, griff3125 said:

Any mods to the motherboard, no wires coming out of odd places? The only thing I can think of would be affixing a small pcb to it.

Maybe they were trying to buffer the keyboard click?

Odd, and nope, I've never seen that before.

Nope, it came in a stock 800 - no mods at all present when I got it. :D

The mystery continues..... 

I've only seen this sort of thing done when a case has weakened or broken pins/edges/tabs that hold the case halves together so that the case doesn't push in on itself and collapse/break/rattle.

Seeing no marks or ridges on the added plastic does not indicate that it held a modification or sideboard add on such as a video board or IO board

Edited by _The Doctor__

Just a thought since it sits evenly with the top of the lip of the case, that side of the case might have bulged out (bad fitment?) and previous owner came up with ingenious way to make sure it fit over the lower case to keep contact with the lip? Maybe the three prongs were not properly doing their job to keep smooth connection between upper/lower case.

Edited by NISMOPC
  • Like 1