IGNORED

Want:"virtual Atari", for virtual sound studio

El Destructo

Using Ataris as musical instruments (SynthCart, 8-bit Construction Set, etc) is geeky cool and an impressive technical feat. But, as much as I would love to compose using these sounds, I don't want to deal with the real hardware. There is an easier and more powerful way: going "virtual".

You see, I've already traded in my old analog keyboards for software simulations like Native Instruments' Reaktor and Max/MSP. Now I can create my own instruments, wire them together, add effects and sequencing, and then output, all from the computer desktop. That's how lots of musicians work now.

We already have virtual Atari sound chips in the form of POKEY and TIA emulation code. So let's make them work inside these great software studios!

I've Googled my head off and found no "prior art" relating to this idea. I can't believe it's not already being worked on, but that seems to be the situation.

So, how can we make this happen? Get the Atari and VST communities working together. Put the code into the hands of a VST plugin developer.

Let's get started!

p.s. Oh, and I suppose it's ok if that Commie sound chip comes along for the ride

-El D.